Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complaint to the Financial Ombudsman

• 21-02-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Hope its ok to ask this... feel free to move or amend as appropriate..

I'm currently in discussions with my mortgage provider in relation to reverting back to tracker, but I think I may be going down the Financial Ombudsman route.... my question is:

is it worthwhile to engage legal help when filling out the 4 page complaint form?

It probably seems like a stupid question, but Im afraid if I fill it out myself, I might not make sense, and it might get thrown out!!

I want to submit a concise, accurate and complete complaint iykwim!

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Drafting a complaint like that is certainly something that a solicitor could help you with. It is very common for solicitors to ghost write complaints etc on behalf of the client whereby everything us submitted under the name of the client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

If you're more comfortable you can get a 3rd party (legal or otherwise) to help you fill out the form. The initial complaint document is very straight-forward, though, so it is likely that you can do it yourself. And, fyi, if you decide to use a 3rd party, it doesn't have to be a solicitor or anyone "professional" as such - a well spoken & relatively knowledgable family member/friend can suffice (and will likely be less expensive).

Oh, and make sure you're well familiar with the complaints procedure...you first have to put a formal complaint in writing to your financial provider (ie: bank) and allow them to respond through their Complaints Procedure (make sure you get a copy of that - they are legally obligated to have one & give it to you on demand). Only after you go through their full procedure and you still cannot get a resolution do you submit your complaint to the Ombudsman. Make sure you keep full records of everything - every paper, every phone call, everything. If it does go to the Ombudsman you'll need all those to back up your argument.

Then, assuming it goes to Ombudsman, it will not be "thrown out"...after he reads all documents/evidence, he may ask either you or the financial provider for more info, possibly offer the opportunity for mediation, and then he will do his ruling. This ruling is binding on all parties.

Advertisement