Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with water volumes

Options
  • 21-02-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi folks.

I'm looking to do my first Partial Mash this weekend. Planning a Belgian wit of sorts.

So I have 2 stockpots (roughly 10litres and 15litres) and my regular boiler.

I'm planning on mashing 2.5kg or so of grain. Pale Malt, Wheat Flake and Flake Oats. I'll be adding some DME to the boil also.

I've tried playing around with beersmith but I'm slightly baffled by the water volume calculations. Do I mash with 3litres for every 1kg? so 7.5litres?

I'm planning on sparging through a colander. What quantity of water would you recommend here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

When doing my partial mashes I mashed with 2.5l of water per kg of grain.
    Doing a recipe with a similar quantity of grain (2.35kg) I sparged with 7.5l of water.

If memory serves me (I wish Id take better notes but I always leave out something) I then topped up to 19l and did my boil, adding my DME as the water was getting up to a rolling boil.

Get something finer to lay inside the colander (some fine muslin or something similar) or your beer will have ALOT of grain husks and sediment. Some of my partial mashes ended up with 2-3 inches of sediment before fermentation.

The best of luck with it ;)

Advertisement