Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbols

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey has anyone seen these symbol before
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I'm not a pagan and only stumbled across this forum,and your post,by accident.
    Yes-it is a 'fourfold' geometric pattern that could represent the four arms of a cross /four points of a compass /four winds / four seasons etc.

If you added four more circles,you create an eight petalled flower design within the middle circle-which could then be used to represent such things as the spider weaver mother goddess/eight phases of the moon/any system that uses octaves such as musical scales etc.

I like 'sixfold' geometry myself [Wiki: 'Flower of Life']....whatever grabs ya. My advice would be to maybe leave what you have found alone -not because of any sinister reason -more out of respect for the person that drew it. Some folks lay down on prayer mats in the middle of nowhere and some define their own 'sacred space' by creating,say,temporary shrines - others draw things on rocks[and have done for at least tens of thousands of years.Think of what you have stumbled upon as a kind of self- made,temporary portal to a higher dimension...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Looks more ceremonial magic then wiccan, like something from the golden dawn.

Sharrow
    Does wiccan magic use symbols? if so- why not these ones?

Ok first off Wicca is a religion.
    Those who are members of the Wiccan priesthood are also witches.

Are there symbols in witchcraft? Yes oddles.
    Is there a proscribed set which all witches use? No.
    Is there are proscribed set which all members of the Wiccan priesthood use? No.

Are there magical symbols which witches and magicians use? Yes
    Some are old some are new and there are some which people make up themselves for what ever they are working on.

Witches are only one type of magical practitioner, there are many others.
    The pictures of what you've put up to me look like something from the Golden Dawn
    order of magic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermetic_Order_of_the_Golden_Dawn
    But then again it could be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordo_Templi_Orientis

The world is full of Occult symbols and there is now way to pin down exactly who could have created that one, on that rock in that place and what type of practitioner they may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭CuAnnan

That "four circles entwined" was used by Led Zeppilin.

• Advertisement

Sharrow
    I was just wondering if there was any specific aspect to the configuration of these symbols that would lead you to believe that it was maybe created by members of the G,D or O.T.O.?
    Led Zeps fourth album cover contained symbols that represented the four band members. John Paul Jones's symbol was a circle with three intersecting 'visica pisces'[ representing confidence and competence]. John Bonhams symbol was three intersecting circles [man-wife-child trilogy].
    Aparently Jimmy Page,although not a O.T.O member, was interested in the workings of Crowley and even bought his old house.

Doesn't have to be a member of the GD or OTO but it looked possibly GD or OTO influenced to me based on what I have read and been exposed to. GD predates OTO (and OTO predate Wicca) and Crowley was influenced by it, and I saw similar symbols in the GD section of the Yeats exhibition in the National Library when I visited recently.
    http://www.nli.ie/yeats/

So that's just my opinion, of course many many books have been written over the last 50 years(or churned out by a certain american publishing house) which have been influenced by what is considered "western magic" which a person could pick or maybe they just like circles and the geometric pattern appealed to them.

Advertisement