Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Mileage BMW 520d M Sport

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm currently thinking of buying a 2009 520d M Sport. It's a UK import with 105k miles. Is any one aware of any issues or reason not to buy this model with what is considered high mileage? It's priced at about £13k stg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

As long as its got a verified full service history I wouldn't be too worried.

Probably all motorway driving at the mileage for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

False economy IMO. Even if the car runs faultlessly, the car will have very little value as the mileage creeps up towards of 170 / 180k miles.
    It is not unknown for these cars to need expensive repairs either. We can assume that the car is now at or near the end of the warranty too so I wouldnt buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

DPF has to be changed around 120k miles approx €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Personally, whether the car has 100k or even 200k problem free, I'd never touch a car over 60k for sheer peace of mind. Been stung in the past. You learn the first time when it hits yer wallet.
    But that's just me...........
    You want to be looking at a FULL documented service history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

McD_T wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently thinking of buying a 2009 520d M Sport. It's a UK import with 105k miles. Is any one aware of any issues or reason not to buy this model with what is considered high mileage? It's priced at about £13k stg.

Nobody buys an m sport to drive around nice and smooth in either don't forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Is it still on uk plates? If It is you'd be better off getting one from the uk yourself. I was looking at some 2008 520d m sports in Manchester, all with around 100k miles but with fbmwsh and they were being offered at around 8500 stg. For the sake of a year on a plate you'd be nearly 5k stg better off to cover anything that might go wrong over the next 50k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Nobody buys an m sport to drive around nice and smooth in either don't forget that.

It's a spec. It's not an M5, it's a 2 litre diesel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

EPM wrote: »

It's a spec. It's not an M5, it's a 2 litre diesel!

Even moreso then. Civics with a 2.99 plastic r stuck on the back of them are driven harder than most real type r's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Even moreso then. Civics with a 2.99 plastic r stuck on the back of them are driven harder than most real type r's

There's a world of difference between what you are comparing there. One is a factory spec car, the other a skangermobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Sounds too expensive for a 105k miles one. Mileage affects price in a huge way in UK, even more so than here. You should be able to get a 60k-odd M-Sport 09 for a little over 14k. I'd put the 105k miles one at more like 11k stg.

I was looking at 08 520d SE's in UK 2 weeks ago. The difference in price between a 55k miles one and a 125k miles one was 3800 stg. Same spec, same source, both fbmwsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 McD_T

It's still on UK plates - VRT is about €3900. It has a fbmwsh. In all honesty I did think it was a bit on the cheap side for a 2009 car. I've heard the DPF needs changing at 120k. All in all I think its a matter of having a decent mechanic look it over and try to get some sort of warranty from the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've heard the DPF needs changing at 120k.

That's not true at all - DPF failure is as a result of the car being driven too slowly/driven around town all the time. DPFs need high speed runs i.e. motorway/main road driving in order to regenerate themselves (burn off all the crap they accumulate).

I wouldn't be put off by a car with 105,000 miles (especially as I'm driving something with 172,000 miles at the moment), but I would want to see a full service history that can be verified. Motorway driving is much kinder to a car than urban driving, so 105,000 motorway miles might have as much wear and tear as something with only 30,000 miles that spent most of its life being stuck in traffic and not out on main roads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As above, The dpf replacement is a guide only. I know of 2 cars that got to 200k before any dpf issues came about. And by that time the cars were well out of warranty, so replacement not required.

Joe power in chippedirl does a dpf removal and remap to suit for circa 550€ if it does ever go on you.

I would be studying the service history making sure it got regular oil and filter changes and ringing the dealers involved to confirm. I would also be double checking it got its breather filter replaced at least once and you can do it again shortly after buying.

Suspension components might be worn a bit extra but motorway mileage will prolong them so check for history's bushings etc etc being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

op are you going to import from uk yourself or is car already here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 McD_T

Idbatterim wrote: »
    op are you going to import from uk yourself or is car already here?

The car is here already. Its a UK import being sold by a dealer in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/BMW/520D/results-BMW-520D.asp?InitFromSession=1&Dir=-1&viewtype=0&Rnd=64A2BA77

Cargiant are a good crowd in the uk. Based in west london. Bought a car from them when I lived in uk. Well known for decent 2nd hand motors. Huge premises/massive selection. Hard to haggle with them though.

Advertisement