Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design as Career Advice

• 22-02-2012 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of changing my career choices. I have since i can remember loved art and always wanted to be in a career that I love and enjoy.

I am drawn towards the graphic design field. I have experience working in a printers where I redraw logos, crests. Design posters etc and promotional material and on occasion I design my own logos. I am self thought in Coral Draw Suite and Adobe Illustrator.

I really enjoy this working field. I have interest in art, history of art, drawing, painting, photography, computers.

My past career as a teacher has not been what I hoped it would be and I think I would love to work in a team environment but also on my own.

I have not done any courses or training in the area of graphic design but have a degree in geography and art history.

I am in my mid 20's and prefer not to enter full time education again but i have been looking at Ballyfermot's Higher Diploma in Graphic Design and the Dublin Design Inst. (but very pricey)

Would anyone recommend courses part time that would enhance my skills and expertise in the area?

I think i would like this to bring me into the graphic design advertising industry (not really sure yet)

Also what would you recommend I do for applying for work experience in the graphic design field with out any qualifications only raw talent?

Any other advice or thoughts in general on my situation would also be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

01mirelly wrote: »
    Also what would you recommend I do for applying for work experience in the graphic design field with out any qualifications only raw talent?

Any other advice or thoughts in general on my situation would also be welcome.

Hi,

Here are my thoughts, it's a popular industry so its going to be competitive especially with the current economy both in Ireland and abroad.

When you take this into account and the number of students graduating each year with Ba hons degrees, then I think its important to get good training, these graduates are your competition for jobs, the motivated ones have been living and breathing design for the last 3-4 years.

You need to work hard and aim to get the best portfolio together that you can. Portfolios are everything. If I was applying for jobs in the morning I would be sending images of my work. Clients and employers will want to see this.

Those are my some of my thoughts based on info I gathered before I made my decision to train in design and illustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

+1 on a good long graphics course.

The portfolio is everything, so what the graphics course will do for you is provide you the time and materials to put together a really good portfolio.

Clients are idiots. Morons. They have no idea what they want until they see it and they're unable to describe it (accurately!) beforehand. So a portfolio kind of works like a sample book.

Also potential graphics employers will hire you on the strength of what they see. They'll be looking for something that sets you apart from the myriad of other (almost identical) student portfolios. They'll also be looking for standard technical skills.

Sorry I havent really answered the question...

Advertisement