Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabinteely as a place to live?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

My brother is looking to rent a place for a couple of years, and found a couple of houses he likes in Cabinteely. It'll be himself, his wife, and a newborn due in a few months.

We're just looking for a bit of general information and the likes on what the place is like to live in, good areas, bad areas, what the people are like, etc. The houses he's looking at are near Cabinteely park and Cornelscourt shopping Centre.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I know quite a few people who live in the area, and have done for at least 20 years - havent heard anything bad about it. One of them sold their house in the park and moved to another house in the park. The public park is great for walks (pushing the buggy!) and they have a great kids playground. There is a girl's primary school in the park and a boys primary school in Scholars lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You also have the QBC a few minutes walk away. Great service to get to town on the likes of the 145, 46C etc. The Luas would be a bit of a trek though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Cabinteely is generally a nice area, i'm struggling to think of any ' bad parts '.
    AS other posters have said, it's right on the QBC, beside a huge park that is always full of walkers, joggers etc It has ample open space. Both areas you have mentioned are right beside ( within a few minutes walking ) of Dunnes stores, which is one of the larger branches, containing independant pharmacy and the likes. There's a few pubs, resteraunts, a gym and take aways in the general area.

It'd be within easy driving distance of Dundrum, Dun laoghaire and Stillorgan, so all amenities are covered. I'd have lots of friends ( all early - mid twenties ) who would live there, either having moved in or grown up there, and i cannot recall a time of hearing of any real bother( excluding random rare isolated incidents that you'd get anywhere in Dublin/Ireland )

Overall i'd recommend it, but obviously i can't be specific towards the exact road/estate, but I really cannot think of any bad points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Can't fault it. Near a pub/off licence, bookies, chipper, shopping centre, chinese, bus routes, quite yet homely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 freckles40

recommend this area to anyone who can efford it.the horse and hound good for a steak and a jar family friendly well used to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

It's a good spot, perfect for a young family.
    The park is great for walking and has a big playground in it.
    Few other shops/supermarkets within a 5 min drive if you don't fancy Dunnes and few restaurants/takeaways if you don't feel like cooking.
    Good transport links too, the 145 bus is 30 mins to the city.

I've been in the area for over 30 years, grew up there and was lucky enough to be able to buy my own house 5 mins away a few years back.

The only trouble you'll ever have will be cheeky middle class teenagers that shit themselves if you say boo to them, or the odd break-in that is happening everywhere half decent these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

Cabinteely is nice, no bad areas to it. However Cabinteely Communitiy School doesnt have such a good name.

Nice place all round.

Where is the gym that an earlier poster mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Not really in Cabinteely though?
    Nicely tucked away on other side of dual-carriageway.
    eimear10 wrote: »
    Cabinteely is nice, no bad areas to it. However Cabinteely Communitiy School doesnt have such a good name.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Regarding the Gym-

Both Bluepool and Loughlinstown are less than 4km from Cournelscourt ( 5/6 minute drive) with one membership doing both places. ( both same operator )

Also Westwood is 2km from Cournelscourt- but more expensive.

There are also many fitness classes that have lighter facilities in Deansgrange, not necessarily gyms, but geared toward 'getting fit'. Which would be 1km or so away from Corneslcourt.

I used Dunnes stores as the starting point and took the distances from google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nice place all round.

i don't know where your getting this from i went to that school and it was perfectly fine. great teachers and a strict school when needed but it had a great atmosphere. i think one year it got the best leaving cert results for a public school in the whole of Ireland. it had a bad name about 15 years ago that was about it. it also has the green flag which is due to outstanding work towards the environment.
    anyway i live near enough cabinteely and it is a lovely place nothing bad to say about the place it has a nice atmosphere. also has one of the best shops for hot foods in cabinteely village called BLT'S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

^^ cabbo community school, whether deserved or not does have a name for itself. call it snobbery, call it narrow mindnedness but it does exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Nice place all round.

I've never heard any complaints about the Community school, and I'm living in the area since 1985

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I live in the Park, its a lovely place to live, and I can imagine, a perfect place to bring up kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

lived in The Park for 20 years, you'd be hard pushed to find a better place to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So it's a good spot then? :p Nary a bad word to be said about Cabinteely!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

uch wrote: »
    I've never heard any complaints about the Community school, and I'm living in the area since 1985

It does have a bad reputation in my experience(ie. people call it a knacker school), but I've never met anyone who went there so can't comment on it.

Cabinteely is a nice enough place, though you will get a few rough youngins now and again, that is the case for pretty much everywhere in Dublin so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It does have a bad reputation in my experience(ie. people call it a knacker school), but I've never met anyone who went there so can't comment on it.

I know a few people who went there and it certainly does have a reputation for a 'rough element'. What you do seem to find is that very few people from Cabinteely actually go there-it seems to be very much a commuter type of school-contingents from Shankill, Ballybrack, Loughlinstown etc.

The few people I know who went there all turned out fine mind you but fairly or unfairly it wouldn't be regarded as the best school for academics. It has excellent sports facilites, music, woodwork etc. however.

That is the only issue with Cabinteely as an area really, the choice of secondary schools is either the mixed community school, the fee paying Loreto Foxrock (all girls) or Clonkeen College (all boys) I suppose. It's an ok choice but not great. There's a massive lack of mixed secondary schools in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown full stop.

If you're prepared to commute along the 145 route however a lot more schools are within a 15-30 minute bus journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Caroline_T

I am thinking about moving to Cabinteely myself (renting). What is Abbey Glen like? Is the bus service good into Dublin as thats where i work :D

Caroline_T wrote: »
    I am thinking about moving to Cabinteely myself (renting). What is Abbey Glen like? Is the bus service good into Dublin as thats where i work :D

145 from Cabinteely is your best bet, it's about a 10 minute walk from Abbeyglen. Leaves every 10 minutes during the day from Kilamcanogue and takes about 45 minutes to get to Leeson Street. And it uses a QBC all the way in so is not really interupted by rush hour traffic.

Timetable is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Caroline_T

RosieJoe wrote: »
    145 from Cabinteely is your best bet, it's about a 10 minute walk from Abbeyglen. Leaves every 10 minutes during the day from Kilamcanogue and takes about 45 minutes to get to Leeson Street. And it uses a QBC all the way in so is not really interupted by rush hour traffic.

Timetable is here

Thanks a million Rosiejoe. I will have a look at the timetable now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HarriFlynn

We are looking to buy in Cabinteely, but the Dun Laoghaire side of the N11, near Granville Road and Johnstown primary schools. I would be so grateful if anyone had information about that area - or is it much different to places like Cabinteely Park, closer to the village? Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

HarriFlynn wrote: »
    We are looking to buy in Cabinteely, but the Dun Laoghaire side of the N11, near Granville Road and Johnstown primary schools. I would be so grateful if anyone had information about that area - or is it much different to places like Cabinteely Park, closer to the village? Thanks a million.

very nice area. I have several friends and family members in that area and I would move there tomorrow.

The shopping centres at Killiney and Ballybrack are close enough and Killbogget park on your doorstep is lovely for a stroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I moved into that area a few months ago. Great place, very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Moved to Cherrywood nearly 3 years ago, go to Cabinteely several times a week for toddler groups, the park and to go to Dunnes. The whole area seems lovely and I have heard very little bad things about the place in my 3 years.

Thanks Fratton Fred, appreciated :)

I grew up there and would move back in a heartbeat. Loads of amenities, transport, shops and good schools. Won't go wrong there.

Thanks RosieJoe - is there a good sense of community still, I wonder? What schools in the area would you recommend? (Have a little boy and another baby on the way...) Thanks x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thanks RosieJoe - is there a good sense of community still, I wonder? What schools in the area would you recommend? (Have a little boy and another baby on the way...) Thanks x

Johnstown primary school is apparently very good, but over subscribed. My niece and nephew went to Kill O' The Grange school and loved it.

• Advertisement

Johnstown is a very good school and places are much sought after. Class sizes hit the upper limit of Teacher to Child ratio but do not go over them, so you are looking at 27 kids per class in the senior years and less in the junior years.

Place is a nice area with no trouble at all. You'd be hard pushed to find a bad word about the area.

Advertisement