Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain name query

Options
  • 22-02-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Lads I regestered a domain, for ref I will call it "fancypm.ie" which is being hosted on a letshost package along with other domains also hosted on the same package. Problem is I got business cards made up and to make it stand out a bit more had the email address printed like so "john@fancyPM.ie"

When I ran a test from one of the other emails on this same letshost package with the PM in caps it worked fine. But when I send an email from say gmail to "john@fancyPM.ie it doesnt arrive. I presume this is because the registered domain is "fancypm" and not "fancyPM". Is there anyway to fix this or do I have to also register the domain "fancyPM"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

Domain names are not case sensitive, so it shouldn't matter. I'd say there's something else that is stopping the email going through.

Try a dns lookup on mxtoolbox.com and see if you are on a blacklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks LG, did what you suggested and it is saying the domain is blacklisted, any ideas why.
    IT seems to come up on red with this one (BACKSCATTERER) out of the list with some yellows on the bottom for time outs

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

Sorry for late reply.

Backscatterer is definitely something you do not want to end up on.

Backscatter means that someone is basically using your mail server to send spam.

The way it is done is that evil spammer sends an email to nonexistinguser@yourdomain.ie but makes it look like it is coming from granny@gmail.com

Your email server/provider sees there's no such email address on your domain so it sends a non-delivery report (NDR) but because spammer made it look like it came from granny@gmail.com your server actually sends the report there and essentially spams granny.

Stopping this can be very tricky and will require some knowledge of reverse dns and mail servers. But first thing needed is to disable NDR's on mail server.

I think you really need to bring this up with whoever manages your email and domain as it's not a straightforward procedure.

Advertisement