Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a passport be declined as form of ID

Options
  • 22-02-2012 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I believe I've been discriminated against as my passport is forign by Maynooths Super Value staff as I was declined service after they examined my passport and came back to say we don't take passports, I've seen people use their passports there before. I obviously felt offended by this so I came home to make sure I wouldn't be make a right fool of myself before making a complaint so can anyone help me with any actual law that they can use to decline my passport as ID or not. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

U would think that that would be the best means of age verification unless the passport was not yours ... I hope u were attempting to get alcohol and not milk !!

The link here has the same information as on a passport so one would conclude that a passport would be sufficient . http://www.agecard.ie/

See the end of the citizens information page link here which advises what is recognised as proper identification

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Most places seem to get suspicious these days unless you use the Garda Age Card. I'm sure there wasn't any malice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Howyahorse

Ridiculous and all as it is; it's not an acceptable form of i.d. Idiots

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Appropriate identification includes a National Age Card, a passport, a driving licence, or a identitiy card issued by an EU member state.

In theory yes, it should have been accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

when lidl first opened, (and I just turned 18) they wouldn't accept (irish( passports either! rage.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

One of the two major forms of identification (other being driver's license) being denied really isn't acceptable. There's a lot to be said for a national ID card, as is standard in pretty much every European country bar Ireland and the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My local off licence has a sign to the effect that the ONLY acceptable age-related ID is the Garda age card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

In the letter issued by the Gardaí to licenced premises, they state that the only acceptable defence for serving to minors is if they produced a Garda ID, a passport or driving licence will not be an acceptable defence. I can't find a copy of the letter online, but it's on display in a few pubs in Dublin city centre. Fibbers on Parnell Street display it in their front window.

Advertisement