Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handing out leaflets in public places

Options
  • 22-02-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi, I want to hand out a cleverly designed leaflet selling useful products for commuters coming off the dart in the morning, is there any laws to stop me?

Also, if these commuters throw them on the ground, can I be done for littering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I doint think theres anything to stop you handing out flyers on the street but if your standing on the platform or on the station grounds it may be an issue with cie so you would need their permission. as its private land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I'd imagine that yes you would be responsible for them being thrown on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

neris wrote: »
    I doint think theres anything to stop you handing out flyers on the street but if your standing on the platform or on the station grounds it may be an issue with cie so you would need their permission. as its private land
    STOP!

1) you are precluded for handing them out in the dart station or any part of In Eireann property - car park etc
    2) You can hand out flyers - in some parts of the city - in others you need a licence from the DCC
    3) you are personally responsible for the litter, regardless if you didn't actually throw it on the ground, you are still responsible - and that comes with a hefty fine for the first offence and gets better as the offences pile up.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

Yes that's what I thought.

I wasn't planning on handing them out inside the train stations property, my plan was to wait outside a train station and hand them out to people entering the train station, so they could read the leaflet while waiting for the train or while on the train.

I was wondering why I didn't see more people handing out leaflets more often, how does metro herald get away with it? The papers are everywhere in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

If you hand them to people in cars then you are bypassing the litter law because they are allowed litter their cars all they want. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

That doesn't really reach his target audience though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

I was wondering why I didn't see more people handing out leaflets more often, how does metro herald get away with it? The papers are everywhere in the mornings.

Metro Herald pay handsomely for the privilege and you'll notice their guys on the Luas/Dart after rush hour picking up and bagging their paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

Dam, might be a better idea to pay for train billboard advertising so. One of the companies 'bravo' that seems to look after the advertising forget about billboards sometimes, like there was still a poster for the film '127 hours' up months after it was in the cinema, I wonder how effective train billboard advertising is. Has anyone used it before? Do a search on YouTube for 'tesco in Korea' and see what those clever people are up to using train advertising. Very smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Dam, might be a better idea to pay for train billboard advertising so. One of the companies 'bravo' that seems to look after the advertising forget about billboards sometimes, like there was still a poster for the film '127 hours' up months after it was in the cinema, I wonder how effective train billboard advertising is. Has anyone used it before? Do a search on YouTube for 'tesco in Korea' and see what those clever people are up to using train advertising. Very smart.

I'd imagine it's quite effective. Although most people on trains usually bring phones, tablets, newspapers and/or books. They don't always look at the advertising. I must say I always do because I casually get bored while on the train and the advertisments do cheer me up for the journey.

I think the bus would be more effective. Short journey and it's half as awkward to look at the advertisments rather then looking at other passengers. That's what I do anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Also Newspapers (if i remember correctly) are covered by a slightly different law - something in the constitution regarding free speech - but they are still bound by the litter act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

lee3155 wrote: »
    I think the bus would be more effective. Short journey and it's half as awkward to look at the advertisments rather then looking at other passengers. That's what I do anyways.

The didnt get the nod from the buses (as they do in the UK) as it went against their health and safety and was deemed a fire hazard by the powers that be.

Advertisement