Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there bearings in back of a honda foreman?

• 22-02-2012 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Please excuse my limited knowledge of mechanics but lately my honda foreman has a clunking sound in the rear? I replaced the front wheel bearings (by proper mechanic) last year and he put it down to muck/git building up on it which increases wear.

I've kept it much cleaner underneath this winter and out of the muck as much as i can but in last 2 weeks not happy with this clunking, especially if going downhill on rough ground or rocking from side to side when standing up on it.

Ive looked underneath and no similar bearings to the ones that he replaced last year. Any ideas? I really need it at the moment for feeding etc but in the back of my mind im afraid of doing any permanent damage by putting getting it looked at on hold.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

If there's a part spinning around there will be a bearing nearby, but the sound would probably be a whining for a while before the bearing completely collapses, could it be suspension flattening out? Jump up and down on it when its not moving and listen for the same sounds. I accept no responsibility for you falling off :) And I'm not a mechanic, nor do i own a forman I'm just poor enough to have to do my own repairs. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

If there's a part spinning around there will be a bearing nearby, but the sound would probably be a whining for a while before the bearing completely collapses, could it be suspension flattening out? Jump up and down on it when its not moving and listen for the same sounds. I accept no responsibility for you falling off :) And I'm not a mechanic, nor do i own a forman I'm just poor enough to have to do my own repairs. .

Hi Hughie,

Ill bounce up and down on here on solid concrete tomorrow again but unless my dad overloaded it (they say max65kg on rear)the 2 large suspension springs seem fine, its more when she is going but i can hear it when i rock back and over when standing up so it could be a suspension problem, only thinking of wheel bearings as i had to do the front when she ground to almost a halt last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

Hi,

two sets of bearings most likely to go,
    - centre bearings
    - rear axle bearings
    easiest way to tell is to shake the rear rack from side to side while observing what is moving. The the back axle is pushed through a H shaped frame, the bearing will either be gone in the front of this (centre bearing) or back of this (bearings on the axle). The side to side shake test should show movement up the front of this. My bets is the rear axle if you here a crunch. Lift it off the ground by the rear rack and just try rattle the axle itself. if this moves even slightly this is your problem!!
    Rgds,

larthehar

larthehar wrote: »
    Hi,

two sets of bearings most likely to go,
    - centre bearings
    - rear axle bearings
    easiest way to tell is to shake the rear rack from side to side while observing what is moving. The the back axle is pushed through a H shaped frame, the bearing will either be gone in the front of this (centre bearing) or back of this (bearings on the axle). The side to side shake test should show movement up the front of this. My bets is the rear axle if you here a crunch. Lift it off the ground by the rear rack and just try rattle the axle itself. if this moves even slightly this is your problem!!
    Rgds,

larthehar

thanks larthehar,

I looked it up on YouTube lastnight too and some fella had posted a video 4 parts of changing the rear axle bearing, if you stand behind the bike there is a bearing to your left by the diff that is not as prone as is greased by the rear gear case oil but the one to the right by the brake shoe Is a sealed bearing that is not serviced or has a grease nipple facility so it's more common to need replacing in those bikes.. I reckon that could be the problem, is this the one your thinking of too? Looks s big job to change whole axle to come out etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

Well my idea really would be to take out the rear axle and replace both, if you interrogate it, the wear on both bearings will probably be much of a muchness. if you decide to just change 1, you'll prob find yourself doing the same job on the other side in a years time! not a big job reli, getting out the bearings from the housings usually requires heat. Quick way is to turn the welder down low, break out bearing centres and weld around the shell. falls straight out!

• Advertisement

larthehar wrote: »
    Well my idea really would be to take out the rear axle and replace both, if you interrogate it, the wear on both bearings will probably be much of a muchness. if you decide to just change 1, you'll prob find yourself doing the same job on the other side in a years time! not a big job reli, getting out the bearings from the housings usually requires heat. Quick way is to turn the welder down low, break out bearing centres and weld around the shell. falls straight out!

got it back on the road this evening, I had to wait for a very good lad to come available to do it but so worth it!!

He stripped it all out the entire rear axle and took it away with him and replaced differintial bearings and right side rear wheel bearing.

Bought from eBay a U.S. company called bossbearing " a complete axle bearing rebuild kit including all seals, o rings etc " E47 total delivered... Great job, great comfort she like a new bike !

Advertisement