Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone actually get what they pay for?

• 22-02-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I've had broadband since it first came out in Ireland. There are countless threads here complaining about literally every provider.

It seems that the craic is:
    • "Your line's not capable of those speeds"
    • If you download certain files you get throttled or temporarily disabled
    • Connections are intermittent or slow or ping is high

Just wondering does anyone pay for Xmb and actually get Xmb as opposed to a fraction of their promised speed... any...one.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I pay for 8Mb and get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

you would be suprised how many people actually get what they pay for ..mostly a long line does mean slower speed just have to lucky and have a shorter line to the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We have 50mb with UPC and it generally goes no lower then 48mb,so we pretty much get what we pay for.

We used to be with Eircom and the most we ever got was 2mb on a 8mb line,that's why we switched to UPC when they upgraded our estate around a year or go.

Don't all the providers advertise their speeds as ''up to Xmb'' anyways though?ie they never guarantee that you will get the advertised speed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

I've got a 7 MPS connection with Eircom and 312KB upload.

Usually its pretty good, but lately last two weeks speeds are only hitting 5 meg and my ping is gone from 39 to 55 to 80 at times.

I wouldn't mind all this if i was paying for a ****ty service, but i paying out money that would get me 50 meg connection with UPC if i could get it.

Theres just no value staying with Eircom, but thousands of people just have no choice. Other providers are just as bad.

Its failure of Government we still have to pay for this stone age internet anyway's.

Jeez i pay into a fund every year just to get fibre to the home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

25 down, 2.5 up, exactly what it says on the tin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Pay for 8Mb get 7.5Mb, happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am with UPC and have 20MB and have to say I usually get near enough to 20 or at least 18 (am on wireless so I realise I will lose a little) but definitely get what I pay for... happy as Larry with UPC I have to say... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    25 down, 2.5 up, exactly what it says on the tin.

same as myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

limbovski wrote: »

Just wondering does anyone pay for Xmb and actually get Xmb as opposed to a fraction of their promised speed... any...one.?

You don't pay for Xmbit, you pay for a share of Xmbit, it's called the contention ratio. If you pay for 10mbit at a contention ratio of 10:1, then as long as you are getting 1/10th of the 10mbit speed during peak times then the provider is fulfilling their promise.

Broadband packages are also sold as "up to", not exact speeds.

Dsl will only deliver ~85% of the speed the modem syncs at, this is due to the overheads of the protocol used to deliver over copper. Due to this an 8mbit dsl package will only deliver a little over 7mbit at maximum.

People put too much emphasis on speed, if your service is good, not dropping out and usable, does it really matter what speed you're getting? I pay for up to 8mbit, I get 7mbit most of the time but it falls to a few mbit in the evenings. The service works perfect, pings are ok and I'm perfectly happy. I do all my downloading at night, queue them up and they're there in the morning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I pay for 7MB and most certainly do get it, but then if the houses infront of me weren't there I would be able to see the exchange :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement