Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 22-02-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Don't know where to post this. Started a new business. Whats the best way to go to get jobs? Should i find a print broker? Or graphic artist with jobs to print? Im a digital printer. Got two xerox machines atm. Also got a roland sol-jet 3 print and cut. Also do embordiery. Just not getting enough jobs flowing.

Like if theres any freelance designers I would be willing to print for them. Im based in dublin got my own unit in ballyfermot. Really open to some ideas. I cant take anyone on full time but can sort them out so i make money to pay for the macines and they make money two from whatever jobs they get. I know how hard it is getting small quanities printed. If anyone has better ideas, im open to them. Really need to be printing more. Hope all this makes sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Set yourself up a website!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

How are you advertising and marketing Valdez?

What skills do you have yourself, are you a designer or have any experience in the sign industry? The ability to be an all rounder really is essential for a small company.

Your Roland is such a versatile machine once you have the materials, is there anything you could offer to sell on boardsdeals, city deals, or pigsback? contact them and see what they charge to do this. Think of a product that you could sell to a large array of people but they are able personalise it some way. The beauty of your printer is that you can produce short-run and personalised product.

You really have to spend a day a week out there on the road pushing your new business, because they won't come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

Thanks paddylonglegs. I was just thinking if there's any freelance designers out there or someone who's got jobs. that would like to use digital print machines. Maybe it could be a win, win situation? also I am a graphic designer and can make anything from signs - banners - brochures- and even t-shirts and embroidery and more, all in house.

was just thinking there's probably a lot of designer or people out there that have problems going to other printers. Im from the states, was thinking of doing some kind of Fedex office kind of shop. like where people can just walk in and print on the spot. just brain storming at the moment. just see if theirs anybody interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

I'm a graphic designer/web designer. Send me on your details. I've nothing print-related at the moment, but would be happy to send you work.

Ideas-wise, go to your local enterprise centre, they usually know lots of people in the business community and may be able to help.

kenobrien wrote: »
    I'm a graphic designer/web designer. Send me on your details. I've nothing print-related at the moment, but would be happy to send you work.

Ideas-wise, go to your local enterprise centre, they usually know lots of people in the business community and may be able to help.

Thanks for the reply I sent you a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

I've been working at a litho printers for 5 years. I would say most importantly, do some research on what other print companies offer and their prices. Work out a small list of niche products that the big boys won't bother doing. I would suggest one off display materials, etc. If its quantities of up to 10 or so make sure it makes enough return. I think there is definitely a gap for producing high page count books/booklets at very low quantites. Would definitely be worth getting some basic stitching (stapling) equipement or a bnder. When you have your list of specific products at small quantities email prices to all litho printers, brokers and high street printers (Snap, etc.). They will all have customers regularly who need those in between jobs that most printers won't do. Pitch yourself as that guy who specializes in such jobs. Don't bother dealing with the public, too much competition. Don't bother with small size single sheet stuff (business cards, flyers etc.) there's very little difference to produce 100 as there is 1000 of that stufff which the bigger places will do anyway.

Could you rent out office space to designers, photographers, web designers. Basically, creatives that may have the clientelle that will need your services. You could offer them a discount for any business that they bring to you.

Could you rent out office space to designers, photographers, web designers. Basically, creatives that may have the clientelle that will need your services. You could offer them a discount for any business that they bring to you.

I have loads of space. A whole unit. So I could do that easily. Whats the best way to go about doing this? Any good places to advertise or pitch this?

Valdez wrote: »
    I have loads of space. A whole unit. So I could do that easily. Whats the best way to go about doing this? Any good places to advertise or pitch this?

advertise on creative ireland, done deal, adverts, gumtree...

Advertisement