Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Xbox - fixing options

Options
  • 22-02-2012 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an almost 4 year old Elite, so outside the RROD warranty. It started freezing while playing games about a month ago, maybe once after about an hour, but then started getting more frequent, up to at one point freezing at the flash screen just after turning on, and it hadn't been on in 24hrs before that, so it seems it's not an over heating issue.
    I tried all the usual things to trying it by playing hard disk based games instead of DVD games, and removing the hard disk and trying the game on disk, and clearing the cache and all that, and even just browsing the tabs on the home screen will still cause it to freeze.
    So I aquired an Xbox core console from a mate, which had been fixed by MS for the RROD but then started giving trouble with the DVD drive. So I figured I'd just take apart both consoles and swap my working DVD drive into his console. Booted up, and now it only sees any game as a DVD, so can't play any games. So googled it and it seems I have to flash the DVD drive if I swap them over, which might get me banned, so I don't want to do that.
    That leaves me with the only thing I can think of left, and that's to swap the GPU's. I'm thinking it's a GPU issue given the way the screen looks after it's frozen.
    The only question is are the GPU's the same even though I've got a HDMI port and the Core console doesn't? I don't think my console is the Falcon chipset, so if not, should the GPU's be the same? Is it possilbe to swap them over? Any other ideas?
    Can't afford a new Xbox, and don't want to spend much money at all on it, as I feel spending half the price of a new console fixing a 4 year old one will only last me another year or so.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Hi, I have an almost 4 year old Elite, so outside the RROD warranty. It started freezing while playing games about a month ago, maybe once after about an hour, but then started getting more frequent, up to at one point freezing at the flash screen just after turning on, and it hadn't been on in 24hrs before that, so it seems it's not an over heating issue.
    I tried all the usual things to trying it by playing hard disk based games instead of DVD games, and removing the hard disk and trying the game on disk, and clearing the cache and all that, and even just browsing the tabs on the home screen will still cause it to freeze.
    So I aquired an Xbox core console from a mate, which had been fixed by MS for the RROD but then started giving trouble with the DVD drive. So I figured I'd just take apart both consoles and swap my working DVD drive into his console. Booted up, and now it only sees any game as a DVD, so can't play any games. So googled it and it seems I have to flash the DVD drive if I swap them over, which might get me banned, so I don't want to do that.
    That leaves me with the only thing I can think of left, and that's to swap the GPU's. I'm thinking it's a GPU issue given the way the screen looks after it's frozen.
    The only question is are the GPU's the same even though I've got a HDMI port and the Core console doesn't? I don't think my console is the Falcon chipset, so if not, should the GPU's be the same? Is it possilbe to swap them over? Any other ideas?
    Can't afford a new Xbox, and don't want to spend much money at all on it, as I feel spending half the price of a new console fixing a 4 year old one will only last me another year or so.
    Thanks in advance!

If both consoles have a hdmi output the GPUs are interchangeable, but I would recommend having the GPU replaced entirely with a new lead balled GPU for a long-term repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

justryan wrote: »
    If both consoles have a hdmi output the GPUs are interchangeable, but I would recommend having the GPU replaced entirely with a new lead balled GPU for a long-term repair.
    Well it depends on what hardware revision they have too, theyre not all interchangable with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Only one has a HDMI port. So does that mean they aren't interchangeable, or could they still be the same hardware revision?

Only one has a HDMI port. So does that mean they aren't interchangeable, or could they still be the same hardware revision?

Yes they aren't interchangeable I would have the GPU replaced on the Elite

Yes they aren't interchangeable I would have the GPU replaced on the Elite
    Cool, thanks. So now to see if I can find a correct GPU... Any ideas on how I can find out which one to get?

• Advertisement

Here is a pic of my GPU with the heatsink removed. No sign of any text on the two chips covered with thermal paste.

Here is a pic of my GPU with the heatsink removed. No sign of any text on the two chips covered with thermal paste.

It needs a hdmi compatible GPU and you can't just pop it on and off it needs to be replaced by a professional with a bga rework station.

It needs a hdmi compatible GPU and you can't just pop it on and off it needs to be replaced by a professional with a bga rework station.
    Cool, thanks. Do you know how to find out which GPU is HDMI compatible? Is there a serial number range or something? I found this one on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/100-Tested-Microsoft-XBOX-360-GPU-X810480-002-Balls-/180744013099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a152ec52b
    But can't seem to see any specific type details on it.

Cool, thanks. Do you know how to find out which GPU is HDMI compatible? Is there a serial number range or something? I found this one on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/100-Tested-Microsoft-XBOX-360-GPU-X810480-002-Balls-/180744013099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a152ec52b
    But can't seem to see any specific type details on it.

Any hdmi GPU will be compatible what do you intend to do when you get it? There isn't a DIY fix for this

Any hdmi GPU will be compatible what do you intend to do when you get it? There isn't a DIY fix for this
    I know, I may have someone with a bga rework station who can do it, I just need to make sure I'm buying the right GPU. I didn't get the red rings of death, so I don't think it's the typical problem with the GPU needing to be reballed, I think I need a different GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

You might get more answers on the console modding forum here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

why not fix the laser on the core model xbox then your sorted easy enough to do pot tweek it

massy086 wrote: »
    why not fix the laser on the core model xbox then your sorted easy enough to do pot tweek it
    It's not the laser though, its something to do with the disk tray. Keeps scratching disks. I opened it up and there's nothing obvious wrong. Don't want to go to the hassle of flashing a new drive and risking getting banned!!

Advertisement