Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Support

Options
  • 22-02-2012 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

complex question but I'll keep it simple.

My mother wants to increase the child support she gets from the father of her granddaughter who she has raised and has guardianship over ( Im not sure if its joint). The reason is she has turned 13 and her costs have increased. To be honest they should have been increased years ago but my mother never had the confidence to do it.

How do you go about this?

I was thinking you right up the costs for a year, give him the option of paying in a lump sum, weekly or monthly. If he refuses contact a solicitor and let her solicitor contact him and leave it from there.

Is that right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If it's court appointed support then you will need a court date to amend it. However, if they can agree new terms it's a rubber-stamp exercise. If it's not a court order then it's just agreement required. If agreement can't be attained then start with the solicitor and get the ball rolling that way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does the granny get childrens allowance for the child and anyhtin else that is available?
    I thin 1st she should ask the father then if that fails she needs to go to court

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks people, thats what I was thinking.
    Yes she gets child allowance but thats it.

• Administrators Posts: 14,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Have a look on solo.ie. It has a spreadsheet to calculate expenses relating to a child. It could be a good starting point for her to work out what it is costing, and from there she could look for a reasonable contribution from the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks all,
    I will try that website too

• Advertisement
Advertisement