Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The myth of "give them a few digs and that'll learn 'em"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

What about us little guys? We're easy targets. I was with a friend not too long ago in a pizza place and ended up being cornered by a scumbag trying to get at my wallet. What am I gonna do? Square up against him, all five foot seven of me? Fucking laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Sindri wrote: »
    Vrrrrrrroooooooooooooommmmmmmm, Neeeaahhhh, eeeeeeeeeehhhhh, *you*

Tra lalalala *scumbag*

Vrrroooommmmmmm, *you*

Tralalalla, lalalala :) *scumbag*

Neeeahhhhh, eeeeeeeeeehhhh, BOOOOOMMMM! *tumble tumble bumble*

Aaahhhhhh! MY LEGS! *scumbag* :)

*reverse* *repeat*

*get out chequebook and hire a good solicitor*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What about us little guys? We're easy targets. I was with a friend not too long ago in a pizza place and ended up being cornered by a scumbag trying to get at my wallet. What am I gonna do? Square up against him, all five foot seven of me? Fucking laughable.

Stilts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

They're far too unwieldly to whack someone with.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

Lot of guff being spouted on here.
    The internet tough guys need to read this book
    http://www.amazon.com/Meditations-Violence-Comparison-Martial-Training/dp/1594391181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329965778&sr=8-1

Really nails how useless martial arts training is as a preparation for real world violence. Judging from this thread it seems to def give people a false sense of confidence of how well prepped they are for a real fight. Lol at the guy saying he'd karate kicked the knife away. In a lot of stabbings you've already been knifed before you even know the guy has one.
    He also makes the point that the depictions of violence we see in films and MMA have given people a completely unrealistic view of vilence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So, having read threads on scumbags (and one recently posted), the old chestnut came out to play:

"So i'm being intimidated by a known scumbag in my area........."

"Just walk up to them, give them a few smacks and they'll never bother you again. They're like school bullies!".

I'd love to know how people can actually believe this rubbish! Yes, that is what you are told when you are a kid and are dealing with another bully kid! This kid is probably insecure and his insecurity probably comes out in the form of bullying. Show him you're tough and he might not wanna bother you.

But 21st Century scumbags are NOT school bullies. They are knife carrying, gun-totting, drug snorting scum of the earth! The last thing they're gonna stand for is being embarrassed by a guy they've tried to intimidate!

Why do people think that by standing up to these guys with their fists that will stop it? You hit them, they come back with a bat. You have a bat, they come back with a knife and that's how these scum bags work.

I understand a man's need to beat his chest and stand his ground. But does anyone REALLY believe that giving them a slap is really the end of things?

i think you got Drug dealer and scumbag wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

captainkeg wrote: »
    A much better set of articles, and not even a referral link:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

I know the author myself, not as scary as you might think. Fact of the matter is though, the vast majority of these greaseballs will fade away if you look at them crossways. Don't walk in fear, that's what has society in the state it is today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pdfile wrote: »
    i think you got Drug dealer and scumbag wrong...

Oh yeah? Why do you say that?

Doc Ruby wrote: »

I know the author myself, not as scary as you might think. Fact of the matter is though, the vast majority of these greaseballs will fade away if you look at them crossways. Don't walk in fear, that's what has society in the state it is today.

I'm sorry dude but you can't honestly believe this! You really must be living in a different world to me!

You need to tell that to my mate who, after dealing with one of these scumbags with his fists, found himself with a knife in his stomach less that a week later! There was no hardened criminal, there was no drug dealer, the guy was just a dirtbag!

• Advertisement

I'm sorry dude but you can't honestly believe this! You really must be living in a different world to me!

You need to tell that to my mate who, after dealing with one of these scumbags with his fists, found himself with a knife in his stomach less that a week later! There was no hardened criminal, there was no drug dealer, the guy was just a dirtbag!
    Have a read through those articles I linked, its something I take very seriously.

Sorry to hear about your friend, and no offence intended to yourself, but really, you can't live life ducking from shadow to shadow. You seriously can't live life thinking you're zorro either, its one of those case by case situations.

My advice is - 1) run like hell 2) call the guards 3) wait for the guards. That's all anyone needs to know. If the guards aren't doing their jobs its time to escalate it to the ombudsman. Note that none of these options means you have to live in fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

Sorry to hear about your friend, and no offence intended to yourself, but really, you can't live life ducking from shadow to shadow. You seriously can't live life thinking you're zorro either, its one of those case by case situations.

Agree 100%. Life is situational dealing with other people.
    I believe that in one situation I would give them a go, in another I would think twice. Because of varying factors (aka, whats my chances or backlash)
    My advice is - 1) run like hell 2) call the guards 3) wait for the guards. That's all anyone needs to know. If the guards aren't doing their jobs its time to escalate it to the ombudsman. Note that none of these options means you have to live in fear.

But Doc, I dont agree with this.
    You left out one aspect. Standing your ground. I am not saying in every situation it has to be "..*takes coats off* lets go!.." But there are situations that call for it. One cant hide behind the Gardai their entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

captainkeg wrote: »
    Lot of guff being spouted on here.
    The internet tough guys need to read this book
    http://www.amazon.com/Meditations-Violence-Comparison-Martial-Training/dp/1594391181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329965778&sr=8-1

Really nails how useless martial arts training is as a preparation for real world violence. Judging from this thread it seems to def give people a false sense of confidence of how well prepped they are for a real fight. Lol at the guy saying he'd karate kicked the knife away. In a lot of stabbings you've already been knifed before you even know the guy has one.
    He also makes the point that the depictions of violence we see in films and MMA have given people a completely unrealistic view of vilence.
    While I agree that you cant prepare for a fight, I'd put my money on a boxer or mma guy in a fight. I've seen boxers in street fights and in general they whip ass.

Jake187 wrote: »
    You left out one aspect. Standing your ground. I am not saying in every situation it has to be "..*takes coats off* lets go!.." But there are situations that call for it. One cant hide behind the Gardai their entire life.
    True, but if you don't know what you're doing (most people, and I don't mean martial skill) it probably won't end well. So call it good general advice.

Have a read through those articles I linked, its something I take very seriously.

Dude, I know all this. It's very situational! You can't be just walked all over but it's not always just fight or flight!

WHich is why i'm saying it's stupid of people to just say "Well, hit him and he'll go away". It's not only ridiculous but dangerous! It's complete sh*t-talk!

True, but if you don't know what you're doing (most people, and I don't mean martial skill) it probably won't end well. So call it good general advice.

Sorry Doc, you're talking about Martial Arts. I was just wondering, who did you mean when you said "greaseballs"? I took that as you meaning the same people I called "scumbags". Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

Again, situational comes into it.
    If some scumbag wants to start something and he is carrying, who also has no issue with using it, smart man will flee.
    But on the flip side, someone is acting like they want to start something while its all an act ... give it to them.

For me, the only thing I can say is just trying your best to read people and the situation. What ever it may be.

Psssh, Sure most of the time in life you encounter someone who doesnt want to fight. But feels he has to put on the 'act' ... if I had a euro for everytime I seen two blokes square off, doing the whole "head to head" crap and nothing happens :rolleyes:

Dude, I know all this. It's very situational! You can't be just walked all over but it's not always just fight or flight!

WHich is why i'm saying it's stupid of people to just say "Well, hit him and he'll go away". It's not only ridiculous but dangerous! It's complete sh*t-talk!
    Depends depends, its almost 4am so I'm not about to get into an in-depth discussion here but as a rule I'd agree with you. There are a whole lot of better ways to defuse a situation than fisticuffs.
    Sorry Doc, you're talking about Martial Arts. I was just wondering, who did you mean when you said "greaseballs"? I took that as you meaning the same people I called "scumbags". Am I right?
    I mean the kind of waster that hangs around in crowds, hardmen without character or experience, avid moviegoers. Usually all it takes is a hairy eyeball and away you go. The trick is knowing the difference between that and a serious threat.

This is such a massively involved topic there's no way to really cover it all. Walter Mitty brigade, read the link and call the guards, that's the best I can do right now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

There's been a lot of talk about "scumbags" on here recently, and I'm kinda confused by the term. It's not one I'd ever use myself. Who are scumbags? How would I know one if I met one? Serious question, folks....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dubliners who can only afford one car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

One who performs acts of scumbaggery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

you've lived a sheltered life my friend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If you can't spot the scumbag in your first 10 minutes in town then you are the scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

seriously? like, seriously? do you know any 'knackers'? 'Gougers'? 'Junkies'? You may as well start a thread asking what a 'wanker' is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with the other scumbag thread, no need to have two on similar topics.

Scumbag
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=scumbag

I did get a lol out of this
    http://tnypic.net/95a56.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

To be fair, I do have an idea, I'm kinda taking it that it refers to lower working class men in general - kinda an Irish chav? Am I right in this? Or is it hardened criminals? Or "greaseballs"?

I think it's a reasonable question, if you go through this thread, there seems to be a good bit of "that's not a scumbag, THIS is a scumbag" going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Hopefully the flem bag in this clip learned a valuable lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

benway wrote: »
    To be fair, I'm kinda taking it that it refers to lower working class men in general - kinda an Irish chav? Am I right in this? Or is it hardened criminals? Or "greaseballs"?

I think it's a fair question, if you go through this thread there, there seems to be a good bit of "that's not a scumbag, THIS is a scumbag" going on.

It's a difficult one to define. What you consider a scumbag will vary from what somebody else considers a scumbag.

Someone who is overly aggressive either verbally or physically or is involved in criminal activity is probably the broadest definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

But 21st Century scumbags are NOT school bullies. They are knife carrying, gun-totting, drug snorting scum of the earth!

Are they really? Really are they? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I knew a lad from a very tough area who had this attitude. It actually worked twice. The third time someone pulled a knife and stabbed him.

How does your theory stand up to that?

everyone always knows someone.

whats the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Just make friends with the local scumbag, say hello to him .
    Shuffling past a gang of knack petrified is the worse thing you can do , and once they latch on to your fear your kinda screwed.
    Give them a dig and they ll go running
    Not today , now all their friends slag them all day , nd are willing to act in a pack mentality , ha ha that fella over there punched you around and he doesnt even have any sovereigns or gortex jackets, usually there will be some sort of retaliation ,
    Plus you cant always just beat someone up , its not school , a fella five foot 7 will find it very hard to give a hiding to a big chap, regardless of karate training , mma etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement