Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home - how much time to spend?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have been here for over a year now and in a permanent job bla so only get a standard 4 weeks holidays per year? I have had friends go home and say 2 weeks is long enough etc etc.

I have no real desire to go home at all only my family would kill me if i stayed another a year here without visiting!

Also any recommendations on cheap flights? Flew out here for next to nothing with Air Asia and seeing as they have stopped their flight to London, I'm look for an alternative! Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you're only going to see your family two weeks may be enough, but you'll be the best judge of that.

On the other hand, if your going home at all creates an expectation that you will see lots of friends, two weeks may not be enough. Remember a lot of people will want to see you at weekends because, unlike you, they're not on holiday.

As regards flights, in my experience there's a trade-off between cheapness and not arriving at your destination totally shattered. If you decide only to go for a fortnight, you really don't want to spend the first week recovering. It may be worth paying a few extra dollars for an airline that won't treat you like ****, and will get you to Dublin with just one connection, rather than two. I find it makes a big difference. (Though, of cousre, you may be made of sterner stuff than me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

If you know you will be going home regularly (once a year) I really recommend buying a one way to Dublin then buying a return from Dublin to Oz. It’s way cheaper doing it that way then from over here. By this I mean you buy your fight to Dublin one way then the flight back to Australia and one to come back to Dublin next Christmas as the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Doc wrote: »
    If you know you will be going home regularly (once a year) I really recommend buying a one way to Dublin then buying a return from Dublin to Oz. It’s way cheaper doing it that way then from over here. By this I mean you buy your fight to Dublin one way then the flight back to Australia and one to come back to Dublin next Christmas as the return.

+1 for this. The cost of the one way flight will be expensive but you will make it back if you are staying for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

To be honest if your only planning on staying over here a year or 2 i would go on a holiday on this side of the world after all you will be home in another year, possibly for good. There are a lot of great hol opportunities available while your here.

Advertisement