Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

and what if petrol was at 6 euro/litre?

• 22-02-2012 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

hi folks
    imagine this situatins - your monthly wage is 1900 euro,petrol costs 6 euro a litre and you have to spent on rent about 1000 euro/month for 2 bed aprtm.what would you do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Get drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

langer91 wrote: »
    immigrate!

I think you mean emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Revolution.

I think you mean emigrate.

I was going to correct him, but its 5am and im a little off the ball this morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Public transportation :P although if petrol / diesel was that high then the price of public transportation would more than likely increase too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'd be one rich Saudi prince...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

and now I `ll tell that this is the truth (in one way) and you know this country very well....try and guess which one is it

Walking, bicycles, mopeds and high density vehicles would be the way most urban folks would commute. People living in rural areas would be screwed.

If the petrol price was to treble or quadrupole overnight there'd be a crushing global recession, massive poverty and severe food shortages in poorer parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Walking, bicycles, mopeds and high density vehicles would be the way most urban folks would commute. People living in rural areas would be screwed.

If the petrol price was to treble or quadrupole overnight there'd be a crushing global recession and massive poverty and a probably a famines in poorer parts of the world.

I don't think it is us that will have to worry about that, it's the americans that will be fecked once the dollar is no longer the reserve currency :P

They have the cheapest petrol right now, but not for long I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Probably lose weight.

• Advertisement

Limericks wrote: »
    I don't think it is us that will have to worry about that, it's the americans that will be fecked once the dollar is no longer the reserve currency :P

They have the cheapest petrol right now, but not for long I reckon.

AFAIW the wholesale price is pretty uniform. Our prices are comparatively high because of taxes on fuel. So increases would be uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Go Green... diesel

tell you what
    Im Polish, working here as receptionist in one Dublin`s hotel, I earn 1860/month which is ok comparing to my friends in other hotels.I was doing the same in Poland and my wage was 1800 zlotys. It doesnt matter what is the current convertion factor versus euro.All I want you to say is that for that many you have almost nothning in Poland.petrol is 6 zlotys a litre....(thats why I was asking what you think about that) rent is 1000 or 900 zlotys a month (in outskirts of krakow),dont mention bills and food.and this is right in the middle of Europe

You earn how much?! Man im in the wrong job....

Vicxas wrote: »
    You earn how much?! Man im in the wrong job....
    its 12 euro/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

faral wrote: »
    hi folks
    imagine this situatins - your monthly wage is 1900 euro,petrol costs 6 euro a litre and you have to spent on rent about 1000 euro/month for 2 bed aprtm.what would you do??

You'd be a ****ing idiot if you spent 1000 on rent when your take home pay is 1900.

Edit: Just saw your second post. Surely you can get cheaper rent than 1000z? Is that for an apartment or a room?

kraggy wrote: »
    You'd be a ****ing idiot if you spent 1000 on rent when your take home pay is 1900.

Edit: Just saw your second post. Surely you can get cheaper rent than 1000z? Is that for an apartment or a room?
    this is for 2 bed aprt.honestly.plus you pay the bills.I especially do not convert euro to zlotys to show how does it look like.life up there is really tought

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Spuds are still cheap yeah ?
    So I'd brew moonshine and run d motor on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i'd probably cancel sky,

move to a bigger house with mates (as they too will likely be in the same mess if the sh*t hits the fan) so while not halfing the rent as it would be bigger maybe getting 25-40% off)

Car shares would be popular with everyone chipping in

cycle or walk anywhere i had to go that was within a 15-20 mile radius

get a cheaper broadband package.

There are lots of things i would do but if you are really getting screwed move outside of the major cities.

i'm on less than OP a month but my rent for a 2 bedroom house with a garden in the middle of Donegals biggest town is €520 and i know there are cheaper houses still in the area.

But i guess you are damned if you do and damned if you don't if there were more jobs/investments up here rent would (eventually) go up to dublin standards but even still not for many many years

tldr version?

give up non essentials and move

The commuter sattelite towns rent is much cheaper for the same. Im looking a rather large 2 bed apt overlooking a river for 650 a month. and thats expensive for the town.

When life gives you lemons, you say fu*ck the lemons and bail out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

At 6l/€ I'd buy a car that's twice as efficient as my current steed, which does 30mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It'd be like the eighties and early nineties again and people thumbing for lifts at the local crossroads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I can't afford petrol at the price it is now never mind if it gets much dearer. A lot of people will be walking and country people will go back to horse and carts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If petrol was 6 euro/litre I'd probably use my bicycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

hi folks

buy an electric car perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Get a diesel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Get more lifts around the place off my mammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

If I were renting I'd move closer to my workplace and walk/cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Never drive my car over 6,000RPM EVER again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

buy an electric car perhaps

And,where do you think all that electricity will come from to run it? Magic :rolleyes:

And,where do you think all that electricity will come from to run it? Magic :rolleyes:

wind, solar, or imported electricity from nuclear power, perhaps?

worth noting with regards to solar power if they covered just 0.3% of the sahara desert with concentrated solar panels it would provide the EU with enough power
    http://inhabitat.com/worlds-largest-solar-project-sahara-desert/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hydrogen is the future (i hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If petrol was heading towards €6 a litre, you can bet the government would (at the last minute) be scrambling over itself investing in renewables and a network of electric car charging points (like the UK is doing) and people would be running out buying electric cars - things that should be happening NOW.

This is going to happen. Why aren't we doing it now instead of complaining that Petrol is taxed too much.

Probably before that someone will figure out that it's cheaper to convert and run on vegetable oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

fryup wrote: »
    hydrogen is the future (i hope)

But to isolate the hydrogen you'd need machines to do that. At €6 per litre to fuel them.

Hydrogen is abundant but a bitch to isolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

hi folks

Find a better job, at walking distance to the apartment.

• Advertisement

@ €6 per litre the horse n cart might make a comeback lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Cue - picture of the Flintstones in their car powerd by feet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Hydrogen is abundant but a bitch to isolate.

in this day and age i'm sure some boffin will have a solution

100 yrs ago something like Television was unthinkable but look now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

A lot of wind power is going to be coming online over the next couple of decades. We should be getting up nearly 40% of our power by 2020 from wind. Electric will be the way to go with petrol/diesel only needed for heavy machinery such as lorries, tractors and the like.
    I would go with the bike for short journey's and fictional electric car for longer distances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'd be okay, but I'd only be able to see my folks at Christmas. And my Granny probably never again!!!!! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I would start growing rapeseed and making diesel out of that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

I'd use my bicycle more...
    In fact, looking at road tax, insurance and eventually petrol prices I might do that soon enough. I'd save loads of money and get fit - only benefits I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Tazz T wrote: »
    and people would be running out buying electric cars - things that should be happening NOW.

This is going to happen. Why aren't we doing it now instead of complaining that Petrol is taxed too much.

If everyone got an electric car this year, the electric car would likely be hammered with taxes.

if petrol and diesel hit €6 china would go bankrupt....... noone would be able to afford thier exports cos the cost of fuel to transport it to the rest of the world would make it prohibitably expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd still drive rather than get the poxy bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Cycle to Work scheme. Could be extended to cycle to everywhere scheme.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'd buy a bicycle if it wasn't too dear. Otherwise I'd steal one.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id probably have to buy a 4x4 with a shíttyl little 2.2 litre engine or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

hi folks

Run my car on red diesel, same as before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement