Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog soiling occasionally - how to train?

• 22-02-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

We have a spaniel who soils in the house occasionally at night. She was rehomed to us and had not lived indoors previously - now she is indoors most of the time but is walked daily and regularly let out. Because we are not around when it happens it is difficult to show her what she is doing wrong. She is 6 yrs old. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

muckety wrote: »
    We have a spaniel who soils in the house occasionally at night. She was rehomed to us and had not lived indoors previously - now she is indoors most of the time but is walked daily and regularly let out. Because we are not around when it happens it is difficult to show her what she is doing wrong. She is 6 yrs old. Any ideas?

I would maybe crate her at night so she doesn't soil. It sounds like she is housetrained but maybe can't wait from night until morning. You could try getting up to give her a toilet break then go back to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just give her time and make sure you stick to a routine - let her out first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

You can be fairly sure that she knows what she's doing is wrong, but she can't help herself. Over a few months she will become accustomed to holding it in overnight and going either just before bed or first thing in the morning (or both!).

Scolding her when it happens would be counter-productive. Just have her sit in her bed while you clean it up, but don't give out to her.

If you've had her long enough (like more than a year), then it may be worth investigating if there's a medical cause to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks for the replies. Good suggestion on crating, I have one of these from previous dog that we had from a pup. I don't give out to her, as I believe its too late so won't be productive but she knows from my expression and puts her tail down! So I agree - its not like she doesn't know. It is more likely to happen if the weather is bad! which leads me to conclude that she doesn't like going out at night for a pee in the rain - rather than a medical explanation (also too infrequent for it to be medical I think). Will try crating and thanks again.

Advertisement