Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did YOU join Boards/Waterford City Forum?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

With all the negativity going on here lately I said I'd start a Sunshine & Lollipops style thread asking everyone what the original reason for joining Boards was? Did you come on looking for a plumber, a printer, gardening tips, looking for an event guide, inside information?

To start the ball rolling, here's why I joined... I think I had an account registered, but was only lurking until the time that guy was seen on the roof of an apartment block on O'Connell St. with a 'gun'! I came on looking for some info and haven't left since! What I love about the Waterford City Forum is the sense of camaraderie and willingness to help people out (most of the time ;)) Compared to a lot of other forums with keyboard warriors, this forum feels like an internet safe haven!

So why did YOU join? And what keeps you coming back? If nothing else this might be a trip down memory lane! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I joined when i was working in Boston for a few months and just wanted to get some info on what was happening at home! whether it be some fellas cat up a tree in Farran park or road works on the quay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I joined when i was working in Boston for a few months and just wanted to get some info on what was happening at home! whether it be some fellas cat up a tree in Farran park or road works on the quay!!

Are you home now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I joined to connect with other electronic music producers. A few years down the road and some of my best friends are people I've met on the electronic music forum. We'd meet at gigs on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

batm!ke wrote: »
    Are you home now?

Aye

I think I read in one of the forums that Boards used to be so small at one stage that there would be nights out organised for the boardsies and there was Boards Awards at the end of every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i like the site i am a motorhome owner and into hunting and photography , i get lots of imfo from other like minded posters i also have got some good deals from the adds.. i use boards every day . i post on and off ..i lurk or earwig an old one from my radio days on a few forum's great site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I had been lurking for ages on You Laugh You Lose after a friend had sent me a link on an email. Eventually decided to join boards to contribute a pic or two.
    Spent some time exploring boards and found this forum. That was around the time of the 'gunman on the roof' incident too. That was great craic reading and contributing. Stuck around then.

I had been lurking for ages on You Laugh You Lose after a friend had sent me a link on an email. Eventually decided to join boards to contribute a pic or two.
    Spent some time exploring boards and found this forum. That was around the time of the 'gunman on the roof' incident too. That was great craic reading and contributing. Stuck around then.

Around that time (gunman on the roof) I remember old timers like seanybiker, MitchKoobski etc saying who the hell are all these people?! It seemed like previous lurkers started posting all of a sudden! That made me laugh and realise there was a real community feel to Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Around that time (gunman on the roof) I remember old timers like seanybiker, MitchKoobski etc saying who the hell are all these people?! It seemed like previous lurkers started posting all of a sudden! That made me laugh and realise there was a real community feel to Boards.
    It was gas alright.
    I thought it was great that there were people on site, reporting direct from the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I joined to talk about a Counter Strike, a pc game. That was along time ago now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

To find info I wanted on things,
    Found lots of info when I was booking my flights and visa for Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I joined to find out about when the Outer Ring Road was opening, because a friend of mine was getting married at about the same time and it would have saved us a lot of grief.

In the end it took us an hour in Friday afternoon traffic and we were nearly late for the wedding. A week later we'd have got to our destination in half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I lurked for years and then found a job where I had the oppurtunity to post and it was fairly boring so off I went.... glad I did.

ziedth wrote: »
    I lurked for years and then found a job where I had the oppurtunity to post and it was fairly boring so off I went.... glad I did.

How long after joining did you become a Mod ziedth? And is there a backstory to the spoiler in your signature... I've always wondered! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I gave up the fags and the Celtic tiger gave up on me, so plenty of time and bored, find it interesting , frustrating, gratifying, mystifying, shocking, boring, hilarious, like having a lack on the side, (allegedly).
    Good question Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I joined a few years ago because I was stalking a girl at the time and while peeping through her window one night I saw her on Boards so I followed her onto Boards and thanked every post she made hoping that she may thank me back some day but then it turned that she was not a member on boards at all and that I had been thanking some farmer from the New Ross side.

So after that I just stuck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Had it recommended to me from a regular user, and mainly stuck around in AH. Lurked for about two years on and off until I found the Photoshop Competition and started posting stuff.
    Got a bit of popularity from it and just branched out into the other forums. Ended up using it constantly while working in TalkTalk. This and Twitter are my sources for news around Waterford now.
    Don't post much lately, mainly because my current hobby is the Youtube Channel. Still pop in frequently to make wisecracks and mooch 'thanks'. I'm like the guy at the party that cracks a few jokes with the lads, but then goes in to watch whatever film is on RTE 2.
    Around that time (gunman on the roof) I remember old timers like seanybiker, MitchKoobski etc saying who the hell are all these people?!
    OLD!? I'm 22 ya cheeky bastard.

OLD!? I'm 22 ya cheeky bastard.

I know! I meant in Boards years (like dog years, but in cyberspace). Actually though, I thought you were here before 2008, I've just seen it on your avatar. Thought you were here before that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I cannot remember but I probably googled something and came across boards that way.

The Waterford City section is usually first with the local news and a lot more that I wouldn't hear elsewhere. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I was getting four of my wisdom teeth out and I was looking for advice and experience of others as Im totally screamish and terrified of getting them out!!:( there was loads of info on boards which really helped me and Ive never left since:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

I was a lurker due to boredom and then kept up to date with jobs in Waterford(class thread)

Now I just keep up with the goss and like other posters have said already, i love the sense how everybody is willing to helpout everybody.... Most of the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I'm here against my will. Send for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

IOFFL (remember that?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I joined for info on the swinging and dogging scenes, I stayed when people started offering me drugs in return for sex.
    I'm a whore, but I've a heart of gold.

Amzie wrote: »
    I was getting four of my wisdom teeth out and I was looking for advice and experience of others as Im totally screamish and terrified of getting them out!!:( there was loads of info on boards which really helped me and Ive never left since:p

I think that's what brought me to Boards as a lurker originally, wanted to see about Laser Eye Surgery in Waterford, still haven't got it done! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

longshanks wrote: »
    I joined for info on the swinging and dogging scenes, I stayed when people started offering me drugs in return for sex.
    I'm a whore, but I've a heart of gold.

Same but different, I stayed when I found I could trade drugs for sex.

Longshanks ...... Is that you Roxy ?!?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I think that's what brought me to Boards as a lurker originally, wanted to see about Laser Eye Surgery in Waterford, still haven't got it done! :eek:

Cool!! Its pretty handy for getting info about things though, what can go wrong, or what can go well!!

luckily for me my exp was good, I was just terrified about the anesthetic but everything went well :D My cousin had laser eye surgery up in dublin and shes got perfect vision now, def positive result for her. I dont know what waterford is like for laser eye surgery but I bet it has to have very good standards aswell! Its a quick procedure as per my cousin and you literally can see amazingly after, but you have to wear shades for a few days so sunlight dosent damage eyes:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I joined almost 7 years ago to ask about a J1 Visa and post very rarely.

Definitely most active in the Waterford Forum though even though I live in South Kilkenny.

Good forum and people generally willing to help.

Favourite thread has to be Boards Floodlight Soccer thread which I participated in and also trained with the team. The meltdown at the end of the thread gave me such a good laugh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

i first joined up around 2002-2003, any time i searched for a topic on google or another search engine, there was ALWAYS a thread started about the topic here on boards.

I forgot the user name and password a couple of years later, and then i started this account when i felt the need to join up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bitches............It has not worked out well

Advertisement