Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineer / Architect to check house

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

First post here so please be gentle ;)

Myself and my wife in the process of buying our first home and we are at the contract signing stage. Our solicitor has told us we need to get someone to check the following:

1. Boundary map matches title map

2. Structure is OK - We had a builder come with us when we first saw it but we need an engineer just to say it's OK

3. Electricity has been reconnected OK

4. Water mains are OK

5. Septic tank is OK

6. Septic Tank & Well are within boundary of site

I wouldn't have a clue who would do this or how much it should cost me?
    Can anyone offer any advice in relation to who I should get and how much I should be expecting to pay?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Do you want someone to say yes to all those questions and just sign off, is the first question.

You need an engineer on most of it, and he will have to have Public indemnity insurance, (in case it falls down) , Guys Like Ben harte, Jimmy Griffin, Frank fox, etc you are probably better off with a one man band rather than a Practice (on price0 the first two I mentioned fall in to that category.
    You can also use an Architect, James reynolds, John Santry,Ollie Dempsey.
    These are just suggestions in order of my preference, all in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 asdfqwer

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Do you want someone to say yes to all those questions and just sign off, is the first question.

You need an engineer on most of it, and he will have to have Public indemnity insurance, (in case it falls down) , Guys Like Ben harte, Jimmy Griffin, Frank fox, etc you are probably better off with a one man band rather than a Practice (on price0 the first two I mentioned fall in to that category.
    You can also use an Architect, James reynolds, John Santry,Ollie Dempsey.
    These are just suggestions in order of my preference, all in the book.

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply and for offering so much information.

Oh god we definitely don't want someone to just sign off on it. Everything has to be as expected. Don't want any nasty surprises down the line.

Ben Harte was recommended to me by the solicitor so I might give him a call and see what sort of price he quotes. I think I might give them all a call and see how much they are likely to charge me.

Don't want to pay over the odds but want to make sure it's done properly.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

asdfqwer wrote: »
    Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply and for offering so much information.

Oh god we definitely don't want someone to just sign off on it. Everything has to be as expected. Don't want any nasty surprises down the line.

Ben Harte was recommended to me by the solicitor so I might give him a call and see what sort of price he quotes. I think I might give them all a call and see how much they are likely to charge me.

Don't want to pay over the odds but want to make sure it's done properly.

Thanks again

We dealt with this practice. http://www.carroll.ie/index.php/about-us Declan was the guy we were with. Thorough, dependable and honest.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

Most names there are dependable and I'd trust, one of them I had turn on me on a job and ripped up the drawing so I couldn't prove that he was wrong. Idiot forget he had issued 3 drawings. Basically the work was done to his spec than e realised there was an error and tried to blame it on the guys on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

_ricochet_ wrote: »
    Most names there are dependable and I'd trust, one of them I had turn on me on a job and ripped up the drawing so I couldn't prove that he was wrong. Idiot forget he had issued 3 drawings. Basically the work was done to his spec than e realised there was an error and tried to blame it on the guys on site.
    I have fair idea who you are talking about there! He mustn't have taken his pulls that day or took too many:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭nowyouresix

You could try Julian Hearne , he does that kind of thing and is brilliant. 087 2686878

Advertisement