Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ZyXEL NSA310 1-Bay NAS Media Server (With 500GB HDD) - €90.37 delivered [Dabs.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

banie01 wrote: »
    Just to let people know as I've not seen it posted the 4.70 FW update has been released, I haven't been able to find a changelog as yet but I'm installing it as I type.

For what model? Not seeing an update for the NSA310 here yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I installed it on my 325 last night. Only difference I can see is different shade of blue for some screens and the layout of the User Page has changed a little.

just reading the changelog on the German support site and nothing major:

http://www.zyxelforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=6080

There is also a new Android app released zCloud. I thought it was going to allow me remotely move files around my NAS but it seems to be just a GUI for browsing videos and stuff. I think you can upload to the NAS using the app though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

nedd wrote: »
    I installed it on my 325 last night. Only difference I can see is different shade of blue for some screens and the layout of the User Page has changed a little.

just reading the changelog on the German support site and nothing major:

http://www.zyxelforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=6080

There is also a new Android app released zCloud. I thought it was going to allow me remotely move files around my NAS but it seems to be just a GUI for browsing videos and stuff. I think you can upload to the NAS using the app though.

I just tried the zCloud app with my NSA310 (4.62) and it won't detect it. Has anyone else tried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like 4.70 brings google drive support and improved Twonky server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

ongarite wrote: »
    Looks like 4.70 brings google drive support and improved Twonky server.

Improved how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Getting confusing now when posts are about so many different models of NAS than the thread titled NSA310, would be handy if it was mentioned in the post if it was relating to a different model Zyxel than the NSA310, just so we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Maybe slightly off topic, but not entirely.

Does a service exist where I can pay a guy to come around and just wire up all the bits n pieces I have so that they will work to optimum efficiency?
    A sort of technological handyman.

I bought one of these, prob nearly a year ago now, and still haven't managed to get it working in any form; I have only given it an hour every couple of months before giving up. But I'm sure the solution is simple if you know what you're doing.
    I'm fairly sure it was the originally posted Zyxel NSA310, I also got a 2TB drive for it.

Essentially, I think want to end up with a small home network, with my NAS server as a hub of sorts.
    I've lost the will to do it myself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

banie01 wrote: »
    Just to let people know as I've not seen it posted the 4.70 FW update has been released, I haven't been able to find a changelog as yet but I'm installing it as I type.

I installed it on my NSA325.
    It may be a coincidence, but my torrent downloads are hit and miss.
    Between 3 - 22 seeds on 5 torrents and all are stalled/hung. (no uploads/downloads).

And it's not to do with portforwarding on my router I had that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I installed it on my NSA325.
    It may be a coincidence, but my torrent downloads are hit and miss.
    Between 3 - 22 seeds on 5 torrents and all are stalled/hung. (no uploads/downloads).

And it's not to do with portforwarding on my router I had that already.

I had this on a previous update where a setting changed so I tend not to update it anymore, if it ain't broke.......

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Maybe slightly off topic, but not entirely.

Does a service exist where I can pay a guy to come around and just wire up all the bits n pieces I have so that they will work to optimum efficiency?
    A sort of technological handyman.

I bought one of these, prob nearly a year ago now, and still haven't managed to get it working in any form; I have only given it an hour every couple of months before giving up. But I'm sure the solution is simple if you know what you're doing.
    I'm fairly sure it was the originally posted Zyxel NSA310, I also got a 2TB drive for it.

Essentially, I think want to end up with a small home network, with my NAS server as a hub of sorts.
    I've lost the will to do it myself :(

If u can't find someone, it might be worth putting a question on this forum.

http://forum.zyxel.com/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=5bc11723578ae0ecbf9cd35777d4fdba

I used it and the guys seem to know what they are talking about although they are not affiliated with Zyxel, just enthusiasts.

It worked for me.
    Have fun

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    I had this on a previous update where a setting changed so I tend not to update it anymore, if it ain't broke.......

I downgraded back down to NSA325_4.61(AAAJ.1), but still see the issue, so maybe I spoke too soon and it's unrelated to the firmware upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

I'm not sure if anybody has come across these permission problems, but it's driving me nuts! I've setup torrent downloads and they go to admin/download/incoming but I cannot:

(A) Map the Admin folder location (however I can Map other folders that I created), I get prompted for credentials and neither the admin or user NSA310 credentials work.

1_zps88197de9.jpg

(B) when I go via the browser to download service, click on completed, I can see my items, but when I click on the location I'm prompted for login credentials, and the same credentials I use to login to the web browser interface do not work.

2_zpsabe9ddb5.jpg

In download preferences I told it to send completed downloads to a new 'Downloads' folder that I was able to map to, but they are staying in admin/download/incoming.

Any help would be appreciated!

It's probably to do with Windows 7 / Windows domains.

You know you can configure the NSA torrent utility to move completed torrents to any directory.
    So you might move them to one that doesn't require that login.

It's probably to do with Windows 7 / Windows domains.

You know you can configure the NSA torrent utility to move completed torrents to any directory.
    So you might move them to one that doesn't require that login.

Yes, I've directed it to move to the downloads folder on the NSA310 that I can access with ease, but the files are staying in admin/download/incoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i remember i had to do it for videos and music before it took effect? or something like that

It's funny, I was working on it for hours last night, and I must just have a clearer head this morning! Got it working.

Had a go at it again there, thinking more about permissions, and all I had to do was (on the web interface) click on the admin share, and just edit it from being private to public.

Thanks for getting me thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

What can you do with these NAS things? I have a raspberry pi which I use with xbmc, what would the nas add to this. Or is there anything else cool I can do with it? What are you guys using it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Ronan14 wrote: »
    What can you do with these NAS things? I have a raspberry pi which I use with xbmc, what would the nas add to this. Or is there anything else cool I can do with it? What are you guys using it for?

http://consumer.media.seagate.com/2010/08/the-digital-den/what-is-a-nas-and-why-do-i-need-one/

A network-attached storage (NAS) device is a server that is dedicated to nothing more than file sharing. NAS does not provide any of the activities that a server in a server-centric system typically provides, such as e-mail, authentication or file management.
    NAS allows more hard disk storage space to be added to a network that already utilizes servers without shutting them down for maintenance and upgrades. With a NAS device, storage is not an integral part of the server. Instead, in this storage-centric design, the server still handles all of the processing of data but a NAS device delivers the data to the user.
    A NAS device does not need to be located within the server but can exist anywhere in a LAN and can be made up of multiple networked NAS devices.

Thes ones on here have added features such as torrenting etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

neacy69 wrote: »
    http://consumer.media.seagate.com/2010/08/the-digital-den/what-is-a-nas-and-why-do-i-need-one/

A network-attached storage (NAS) device is a server that is dedicated to nothing more than file sharing. NAS does not provide any of the activities that a server in a server-centric system typically provides, such as e-mail, authentication or file management.
    NAS allows more hard disk storage space to be added to a network that already utilizes servers without shutting them down for maintenance and upgrades. With a NAS device, storage is not an integral part of the server. Instead, in this storage-centric design, the server still handles all of the processing of data but a NAS device delivers the data to the user.
    A NAS device does not need to be located within the server but can exist anywhere in a LAN and can be made up of multiple networked NAS devices.

Thes ones on here have added features such as torrenting etc

Cheers thats a really informational video. I don't understand how these can be used along side xbmc do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

You stick a desktop hard drive into the nas, add all your movies etc to the hard drive and then connect the NAS to you network/router. Once this is done, you will be able to view your files using any device on your network (Phone, tablet, laptop etc).
    It negates the need for external hard drives plugged into your computer.
    With regards to xbmc, you can set up network shares from you NAS to whatever device you use for xbmc. This will mean that you only need to connect your xbmc device to your network and not to an external hard drive or usb thumb drive.
    This NAS can also utilise add-on software to automatically download torrents of movies and tv shows once set up correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not sure if it's my NAS box or HDD that's giving up..

.. but videos just do not seem to be playing at the moment.

Browsing it can be very slow and videos play for 2 - 3 seconds before grounding to a halt, and playback is jittery too!

Did a restart and also a repair of HDD via web interface but didn't seem to make much of a difference.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

hi all,

received my nsa 325 and hdd in post today,

i cannot initialize using utility starter? keep getiing nas not responding check on it? i have 2 x 2TB HDD attached. i can access via web interface, which i did and created internal drive, managed to copy some stuff over network?

any ideas on utility starter?

also any hints tips or how to's are greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Can anyone tell me why I'm constantly getting the following message with different IP addresses each time " 2014-03-02 03:14:15 info built-in-service Download service blocked peer: 39.59.39.140" ? Is it something I need to fix or even worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Right, so my NAS310 has just disappeared from my home network on my laptop, running Windows 7.

I can still access it through my Xbox, my phone and I can still access the Admin panel through the web browser.

However it is gone from my network in "My Computer".

Does anyone know why this would have happened, and does anyone have a solution.

I used the network on my PC to access and tidy up the NAS bay and to swap files between my laptop and the Drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

TheChevron wrote: »
    Right, so my NAS310 has just disappeared from my home network on my laptop, running Windows 7.

I can still access it through my Xbox, my phone and I can still access the Admin panel through the web browser.

However it is gone from my network in "My Computer".

Does anyone know why this would have happened, and does anyone have a solution.

I used the network on my PC to access and tidy up the NAS bay and to swap files between my laptop and the Drive.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Just manually type in "\\ipaddressofNSA310" into the Windows Explorer address bar. e.g, if the ip address is 192.168.1.10, type in:
    \\192.168.1.10\

This might work as well:
    \\NSA310\

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Just manually type in "\\ipaddressofNSA310" into the Windows Explorer address bar. e.g, if the ip address is 192.168.1.10, type in:
    \\192.168.1.10\

This might work as well:
    \\NSA310\

That works, as I said in my above post.

But the drive is not showing up as a device on my windows file system i.e if I pop in a flash drive, it shows up in "my computer" as drive F:. My OS is on C: and I have a D: partition.

The NSA310 used to show up in here now it doesn't.

If I click on Network, it is not visible. It used to be visible up until a couple of days ago.

But the drive is not showing up as a device on my windows file system i.e if I pop in a flash drive, it shows up in "my computer" as drive F:. My OS is on C: and I have a D: partition.

If I click on Network, it is not visible. It used to be visible up until a couple of days ago.

try to map network drive?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Windows explorer, not Internet Explorer. IE will open up the admin panel. Windows explorer will open up the file explorer

You need to "map" the share to a drive. There should be a "Map Network Drive" option above your drives. Click it, choose a drive letter and put \\ipaddress or \\nsa310 into the folder field

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Cool, I'll try that when I get home. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I use an app (android) on my phone called ES File Explorer. It will do everything you want once you have mapped to your NAS. I also use SFTP to link to it while on the move but you need to install FFP for this to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

bromley52 wrote: »
    I use an app (android) on my phone called ES File Explorer. It will do everything you want once you have mapped to your NAS. I also use SFTP to link to it while on the move but you need to install FFP for this to work.

English please? ;)

I use ESFileExplorer as well and while not on WiFi, through the web browser but it's a PITA all right.

I'm looking to install ffp. Is there any idiots guide to installing.

Also

How do I find the email address for the nas. I want to set up email log reports but can't find the details to input.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

phobia2011 wrote: »
    I'm looking to install ffp. Is there any idiots guide to installing.

Also

How do I find the email address for the nas. I want to set up email log reports but can't find the details to input.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps:

Clipboard03.JPG
    lBGFBrSaQNzWK9eRonQnn5hRcj-91j-pedbVXGZpbBk?feat=directlink

See the responses I got when I asked similar Qs some time back.

Q1. How could I securely access my NSA310 externally?
    WINSCP is for PC access, I used ESFileExplorer on my phone.

28064212 wrote: »
    You could install FFP. You'll need to use the telnet backdoor to enable ssh. Once that's up and running, you can use WinSCP to access the files over SFTP

Q2. How can I install Plex on my NSA310? I find this very useful especially when used with the Plex app on my TV.
    manster wrote: »
    Ok. The following are the guides I used on my NSA310 v4.40. I got it working with a very rudimentary knowledge of Unix commands (e.g. cd, cd .., pwd, ls -l). Also this guide is NZB rather than Torrent specific but can be used by either. For Torrent users, ignore SabNzbd & Sickbeard.
    • Download free copies of Putty & Filezilla from the web.
    • You need to get root access to NAS (you may have telnet access by default) so get ffp installed (don't bother messing about with USB stick version and install it directly) to the NAS. Use this blog . Note by root access I mean that you login with the username root rather than the username admin.
    • Install Plex using using the following site
    • Install Sabnzbd, Couchpotato, Sickbeard using the auto-install scripts / steps on this guide from this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi,

I think FFP might be an official package now. Check under the Packages tab.

If not then use the guide above to install FFP as ZYPKG. This is what I did and it works swimmingly.

• Advertisement

nedd wrote: »
    Hi,

I think FFP might be an official package now. Check under the Packages tab.

If not then use the guide above to install FFP as ZYPKG. This is what I did and it works swimmingly.

I can't seem to get it to show in packages, I have nsa325v2 running latest firmware,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

FYI: I posted a tutorial in the computers forum on getting my NSA325 to record a sort of security timelapse video from a Foscam IP camera using the linux "ffmpeg" transcoding utility. ffmpeg can capture video from local usb webcams too.

I got it to run as a background process with a nice timestamp embedded on each video frame.

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057172987

regards,
    CD

phobia2011 wrote: »
    I can't seem to get it to show in packages, I have nsa325v2 running latest firmware,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Follow the install section here. You need to change the directory you are looking at or at least you had to when I installed it.

NSA320 is currently £49.99 @ Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh feck I'm tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Was tmepted until I read the reviews and this:

" Usually dispatched within 1 to 4 months."

whats that all about?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi guys,
    I have been tempted to buy one of these ( Probably a 325 )
    I also have a liking to the HP Microservers.
    All I want basically is somewhere to store my mkv files, Music and Photos.
    I also have a PCH to play movies on.
    I assume this would allow the PCH to play mkv's stored on a 325?

Main reason I am uncertain which is best to buy is I am not much use at network setups and feel this would be a simpler solution for me.
    Can these be left running 24/7?
    If so are the pretty cheap on electricity ?

One other thing.

Must all hard drives be same make and size?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Any reasons why changing to a 320 from my 310 (with external sata) is a good or bad idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

just wondering if anyone can help.
    I done an update to the latest firmware and when i go to log in as admin
    i keep getting Unexpected Error!!

My TV can still pick it up and can watch movies i just can't log in anymore.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Try a different browser... ie if using firefox... then try internet explorer or chrome. Had this issue before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Access wrote: »
    Try a different browser... ie if using firefox... then try internet explorer or chrome. Had this issue before.

Thank you, worked with chrome

finno wrote: »
    Thank you, worked with chrome

No problem... I have had this NAS for a year and a bit now and one thing that I learned very quickly was if it does not respond on a browser... always try another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

vectra wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have been tempted to buy one of these ( Probably a 325 )
    I also have a liking to the HP Microservers.
    All I want basically is somewhere to store my mkv files, Music and Photos.
    I also have a PCH to play movies on.
    I assume this would allow the PCH to play mkv's stored on a 325?

Main reason I am uncertain which is best to buy is I am not much use at network setups and feel this would be a simpler solution for me.
    Can these be left running 24/7?
    If so are the pretty cheap on electricity ?

One other thing.

Must all hard drives be same make and size?

Thanks

Yes they can, not sure of the power consumption though.
    What's more important is the quality of the drives you put in it.
    They should be designed for 24/7 running.

I use these all the time without problem...
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810
    Other manufacturers have similar drives. Worth the extra imo.
    Lower quality/spec drives won't last.

is £44.99 a decent price for one of these? No disk included

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Yes they can, not sure of the power consumption though.
    What's more important is the quality of the drives you put in it.
    They should be designed for 24/7 running.

I use these all the time without problem...
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810
    Other manufacturers have similar drives. Worth the extra imo.
    Lower quality/spec drives won't last.

Just to add to this... you can set the NAS to put the hard drive to sleep after a set time in the settings then its not being asked for. Mine is set for sleep after 15mins of inactivity. It spins down and only takes a couple of seconds to spin up/wake up when its called upon.

I have a standard 3Tb seagate in mine along with a separate WD 3tb attached via usb for a one to one backup and have had no probs in the last year.

Like kaizersoze says... its worth the extra cash putting a nas rated hard drive in these technically... but its not the end of the world if you just used a standard hard drive in it.

Just always backup at least once a fortnight and you will be grand.

On a side note... with my Nas on and the drive spinning, if my memory serves me right it was showing it consuming 17watts electricity via a watt meter I had it plugged into a while back. So its cheap to run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement