Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lambing 1st Of April. Is it too late to scan.?

• 22-02-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Will start Lambing hill flock on the 1st April (approx)
    All scotch 80 ewes.

Is it now to late to scan the ewes.?

Also what is the going rate for scanning?
    South West area

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Hi All,

All scotch 80 ewes.

South West area

Cheers
    The general rule is 90 days after the ram going in or thereabouts. So if you scan you will get confirmed pregnancy but not numbers on the earliest and you will get number of lambs on the latest tupped.

Dont know the rates for scanning offhand but ring the FRS and they wont be far off the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Hi All,

All scotch 80 ewes.

South West area

Cheers

you should be grand do them asap, doubt many if any will be scanned wrong, 80c- 1euro depending on numbers id say closer to 1euro for 80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

you should be grand do them asap, doubt many if any will be scanned wrong, 80c- 1euro depending on numbers id say closer to 1euro for 80

I paid 100 euro to scan 70...

I paid 100 euro to scan 70...

christ, i done mine in two lots the last ones cost me 90 euro for 95 ewes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Thanks for the help, I'll ring around this evening to see if i can get a lad for Saturday

• Advertisement

christ, i done mine in two lots the last ones cost me 90 euro for 95 ewes

Yeah - not the cheapest all right Sean. Call out charge was a lot of the 100, I think he said something like 50 - 60 euro? :( :eek:
    But - I find him all right, so I'll prob get him back again to be honest.

Yeah - not the cheapest all right Sean. Call out charge was a lot of the 100, I think he said something like 50 - 60 euro? :( :eek:
    But - I find him all right, so I'll prob get him back again to be honest.

try and get lads from the local area to do them the same day, anyway as for scanning had a better year only 2.5% dry ewes, and 30% twins which is best iv managed coming off the hill

try and get lads from the local area to do them the same day, anyway as for scanning had a better year only 2.5% dry ewes, and 30% twins which is best iv managed coming off the hill

I am the only one I know of for a few miles around me with sheep. Everyone else either cows / tillage...

Glad to hear yer scanning went well. My scanning, had a lot empty (its on another thread) :(
    Done with lambing now, and that didnt go well either - first few sheep lambed 3 - 4 weeks premature, all lambs died, bad start... Improved after that - but I still had a few rotten lambs... results were negative for toxo... and inconclusive for anything else... :(
    And I have some lambs that arent thriving... I think they just arent full health... Its already a long year then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

I am the only one I know of for a few miles around me with sheep. Everyone else either cows / tillage...

Glad to hear yer scanning went well. My scanning, had a lot empty (its on another thread) :(
    Done with lambing now, and that didnt go well either - first few sheep lambed 3 - 4 weeks premature, all lambs died, bad start... Improved after that - but I still had a few rotten lambs... results were negative for toxo... and inconclusive for anything else... :(
    And I have some lambs that arent thriving... I think they just arent full health... Its already a long year then...
    blood tested your sheep they might be low on minerals

thats awful bad look sorry to hear and the year thats in it with prices, iv no idea , do u think its possible dogs chased sheep, i know its a long shot, but another idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Get a blood test done for Borders disease - its the sheep version of BVD in cattle. You'll get abortions and a few lambs usually called hairy shakers that don't do - they are the PI versions of the calf.

Highland wrote: »
    Get a blood test done for Borders disease - its the sheep version of BVD in cattle. You'll get abortions and a few lambs usually called hairy shakers that don't do - they are the PI versions of the calf.

Hi Highland,

Borders disease - must look into it. I read about "hairy shakers" all right before somewhere, trying to recall where.
    same 130 wrote: »
    blood tested your sheep they might be low on minerals

Hello same,
    I think it was / is minerals, to some extent anyways.

Two things I did different this year
    1) This year also I gave the sheep bolus, up til this we used to put out mineral buckets. I put out mineral buckets again when I saw issues (lifeline buckets) and sheep went mad for em. I thought it helped then to be honest - but who is to say things wouldn't have improved as time when on anyways...
    I'll be sticking to the mineral buckets from now on...

2) The sheep were on very good grass for maybe too long last Autumn. They were with the ram Aug - Sept, and then on good reseeded ground Oct. The rest of our ground would be old grass - so maybe too good grass for too long early on caused a few more problems? I dont feel it would, but when you have problems you'd be wondering about everything... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

Hi All,

All scotch 80 ewes.

South West area

Cheers
    Up to 100 days in lamb is fine for scanning to pick up triplets. After this multiple births are more difficult to confirm, but empties and singles will be fine to see.

Advertisement