Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Tom Cat

• 22-02-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

I am the owner of an older female cat, during the week a tom cat (feral) turned up , he keeps spraying the house and garden and is tormenting our cat. I have tried squirting water at him but he just comes back a few minutes later and starts screaming, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. She is a rescue cat , we had her neurtered 8 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

Is your female cat neutered? If she is in heat, the tom can smell it and this could be why he is hanging around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Any chance you could trap and neuter him? Toms are big territory markers and are incredibly stubborn.He's probably psyching out your cat and making his presence known. Continue to spray him with water, he'll eventually get fed up of getting wet if you cant catch and neuter him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

neuter,neuter,neuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Zara23 wrote: »
    Is your female cat neutered? If she is in heat, the tom can smell it and this could be why he is hanging around

Yes , she is neutured.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

anyone know what the law is re. traping cats????????????

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Any chance you could trap and neuter him? Toms are big territory markers and are incredibly stubborn.He's probably psyching out your cat and making his presence known. Continue to spray him with water, he'll eventually get fed up of getting wet if you cant catch and neuter him.

Thanks for that, we will continue to squirt him

anyone know what the law is re. traping cats????????????
    Wont do that anything like that in case he has an owner, hes not skinny

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Maybe scatter some orange peel in your garden where he hands around, they don't like it

We did that before but we would need a crate of them , he seems to be backing off now , fed up getting showered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Yeah its that time of year when unneutered Toms start showing up after the females. We've seen it for the last few weeks. My chaps are neutered but get stressed by the scenting of the visiting Toms. Mostly in my area the cats belong to people in neighbouring estates. I recognise them from previous years and only see them when on heat. If only people would neuter their pets we'd have happy cats and happier neighbours.

• Advertisement

I blame the local shop, he has bins in the lane and the population of feral cats is increasing at an alarming rate, news is spreading of free grub:)

alie wrote: »
    I blame the local shop, he has bins in the lane and the population of feral cats is increasing at an alarming rate, news is spreading of free grub:)
    I think your best bet is to see if there's an animal charity in your area that practices Trap Neuter and Release. If they are feral getting them neutered is the best option. You could ask on Feral Cats Ireland and they might be able to suggest someone in your area who could help.

I think your best bet is to see if there's an animal charity in your area that practices Trap Neuter and Release. If they are feral getting them neutered is the best option. You could ask on Feral Cats Ireland and they might be able to suggest someone in your area who could help.

Thank you for that, I will .

Thank you for that, I will .
    Just googled it, very interesting , i will ring them in the morning

Just googled it, very interesting , i will ring them in the morning
    Yeah they do a lot of good work, I think a neutered cat is a happier cat. Less fighting for sure.

Spraying worked , he went off about his business and we have not seen him since, Timmi is back to her normal happy self, thanks for all your help.

Advertisement