Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chillis and Peppers

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - First time growing chillis and peppers. I'm about to pot the seedlings on into individual 3.5" pots. Just wondering do you bury the stems like you would with Tomatoes?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

redser7 wrote: »
    Hi - First time growing chillis and peppers. I'm about to pot the seedlings on into individual 3.5" pots. Just wondering do you bury the stems like you would with Tomatoes?
    Thanks

Come again!! Treat them like toms, make a hole in the pot with your finger, plop the seedling root in, and gentle firm compost around the root. The trade term for this process is "pricking out"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks, I know that. But with Toms you can bury the stems (plant them deeper) up to the seed leaves if they are a bit leggy. Does them no harm and encourages more roots below the surface. Was wondering if I can do similar with peppers as they are a bit lanky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Redser I don't think Chillis produce roots on stems like tomatoes but in a greenhouse I worked in we would bury some to first set of leaves if they were a bit lanky. Doesn't hurt them but doesn't have the same affect as tomatoes.

Great, thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Just need to quailfy that as It was a greenhouse in America so had a quicker growing time with higher temps.

Just wouldn't go any further than first leaf and to watch water levels re rot you know yourself dependant on the weather.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. Won't go too deep so and will water little and often from the bottom. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Interested in this too. I bought a couple of down and out chilli plants at the end of last year for 50c, bunged them into pots in my porch and they grew but slowed down over winter. They are still looking pretty good but wondering if they will produce anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Interested in this too. I bought a couple of down and out chilli plants at the end of last year for 50c, bunged them into pots in my porch and they grew but slowed down over winter. They are still looking pretty good but wondering if they will produce anything.
    when they flower if bees pollinate the flowers or you hand pollinate i believe they should produce. Im open to correction here so anybody feel free.

when they flower if bees pollinate the flowers or you hand pollinate i believe they should produce. Im open to correction here so anybody feel free.

I have three plants, I don't know whether they are boys or girls. :o Also do you mean I should plant them outside when its warmer? I thought I'd have to keep them inside.

I have three plants, I don't know whether they are boys or girls. :o Also do you mean I should plant them outside when its warmer? I thought I'd have to keep them inside.
    Boys or girls doesnt exist with plants in the normal sense, they just need bees or something else to spread the pollen from one flower to another etc , which is why bees are so important in the world without the bees we would all be screwed.

• Advertisement

If your in Ireland you better off keeping chilli plants inside or in a pollytunnel/greenhouse.

Boys or girls doesnt exist with plants in the normal sense, they just need bees or something else to spread the pollen from one flower to another etc , which is why bees are so important in the world without the bees we would all be screwed.

Did not know all that, thanks. Without bees where would we bee!
    If your in Ireland you better off keeping chilli plants inside or in a pollytunnel/greenhouse.

Well I am Dublin so keeping them as cosy as I can. I find it hard to be too optimistic as I have a habit of killing most things through complete ignorance I'm afraid. Hope Cardinal Richelieu is successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

how lomg does it take for the chilli seeds to sprout? i have them planted over 2 weeks now keeping them in my living room with some tomato and pepper seeds.

tomatoes sprouted a few days ago, about 1" high now. do i pot them on now? and is it ok to put them out to my unheated greenhouse or should i keep them inside until they becoume a bit stronger?

still waiting on the peppers aswell but i think i can see some action there this evening:)

sponge_bob wrote: »
    how lomg does it take for the chilli seeds to sprout? i have them planted over 2 weeks now keeping them in my living room with some tomato and pepper seeds.

tomatoes sprouted a few days ago, about 1" high now. do i pot them on now? and is it ok to put them out to my unheated greenhouse or should i keep them inside until they becoume a bit stronger?

still waiting on the peppers aswell but i think i can see some action there this evening:)

Usually toms come first for me then the pepper /chillies follow up to a week later so I wouldn't worry. If your tomato seedlings arnt too crowded I would let them grow on for another week at least. Then pot them up and grow them on in your house before popping them in your greenhouse. You may need a back up plan do if we get late frosts in March. I use sheets of newspaper to cover the toms if I hear its going to be a frosty night then try to get as much air as possible in the glasshouse the next day.

Think about getting a heated propagator. Picked one up for 12 euro in B&Q. Toms were up in about 3 days, sweet peppers 5 days and chillis over the next couple of days. It's not just about speed, the constant heat they give also helps garauntee germination, so less failures and wasted pricey seed. Find it's a brilliant investment. But the speed thing is great. It means I can have trays sown, germinated and out of the house into the tunnel in about 3 days. No leaving them all over the house waiting and moving them around.

sponge_bob wrote: »

Took mine 2 weeks in a warm hotpress so id imagine slightly longer at normal room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

redser7 wrote: »
    Think about getting a heated propagator. Picked one up for 12 euro in B&Q. Toms were up in about 3 days, sweet peppers 5 days and chillis over the next couple of days. It's not just about speed, the constant heat they give also helps garauntee germination, so less failures and wasted pricey seed. Find it's a brilliant investment. But the speed thing is great. It means I can have trays sown, germinated and out of the house into the tunnel in about 3 days. No leaving them all over the house waiting and moving them around.

seen one in my local glanbia gardening section yesterday for €17, might pop in tomorrow and pick it up.

Advertisement