Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Os on PlayBook

Options
  • 22-02-2012 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum, mods feel free to move if not..

Installed 2.0 on my PlayBook this morning. Seems good so far. Loving the predictive typing on it. A vast improvement IMO.

Anyone else do the upgrade?

Any buggy stuff yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Seems to be getting good reviews:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/forget-the-amazon-kindle-fire-the-bb-playbook-is-now-the-best-low-cost-tablet/5498?tag=nl.e539
    Thanks in large part to the success of the Amazon Kindle Fire, the Android tablet market is finally heating up and starting to impact Apple iPad market share. With the new OS 2.0 update available for the BB PlayBook, I recommend people seriously consider one for $199 instead of the $199 Amazon Kindle Fire if they are looking for more of a tablet than an ebook reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The only downside I can find now since I installed it is that it is harder to copy text from webpages. The press and hold method to get the select text option to pop up no longer seems to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If anyone is experiencing problems try reinstalling the is from the blackberry desktop manager. I'm not finding the copy/paste issue. The os is lovely. There is one acknowledged bug where if the email is set to manual sync it seems tondrain the battery. BlackBerry is working on a fixed but in the mean time setting email to push or timed sync will fix the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I brought my Playbook back on Monday as the browser kept crashing, anyone else have that problem and did the new os sort it out?

Never really had that problem. It crashed once when I had a load of tabs open. Apparently its a common issue.

• Advertisement

Can't say I've had that problem either. The browser on OS2 is a lot faster though. The Max number of tabs to open for stability is 3. After that it may crash depending on what each tab is showing (flash etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I noticed another bug.

When you have the USB plugged in, the touch screen turns to ****e! Not sure if this is all the time, or just when in development mode, coz the only time I have the USB plugged in is when I'm actually in development mode!!

Can someone confirm this for me?

Cheers.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I noticed another bug.

When you have the USB plugged in, the touch screen turns to ****e! Not sure if this is all the time, or just when in development mode, coz the only time I have the USB plugged in is when I'm actually in development mode!!

Can someone confirm this for me?

Cheers.

just tried it there with dev mode on and off and screen seems fine to me. Try a hard reset (hold down power button until screen completely turns off). If that doesn't work try a full desktop reinstall.

I had upgraded the os to 2 over wifi but found it a little creaky so I went back and wiped the device then reinstalled the OS from BlackBerry desktop manager. It runs a lot smoother for me now after that

I noticed the buggy screen when I had it charging off a phone charger as the dock wasn't near to hand. Assumed it was just a bad charger or connection that was causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

cookie1977 wrote:

just tried it there with dev mode on and off and screen seems fine to me. Try a hard reset (hold down power button until screen completely turns off). If that doesn't work try a full desktop reinstall.

I had upgraded the os to 2 over wifi but found it a little creaky so I went back and wiped the device then reinstalled the OS from BlackBerry desktop manager. It runs a lot smoother for me now after that

If I wipe it, is there any way I can backup the high scores/save games of angry birds etc? If so, I'll try doing the reinstall tonight and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Will there be a whole new playbook out anytime soon?

A 4g model is due out in the states this summer. It'll supposedly have a slightly boosted processor (1.2Ghz Dual Core)

Advertisement