Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Queenie and Jim - A portrait

• 22-02-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My first post here so i hope its in the right place and for the right forum.
    Took this last week when i meet this man (Jim McInerney & his horse Queenie) in a field close to where i live..and he kindly allowed me to take a few pics. Hope u like. A23F7452DFFE406DB7E059A84C26BBA1-0000342609-0002745419-00800L-56CE4DACC9ED480D91174916E490F37D.jpg
    I used Lightroom to enhance detail a bit - to add some drama and give it a portrait painting feel.
    All C&C more than welcome pls...
    Thanks
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Well done, nice start on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Great colour and clarity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it's slightly overcooked; looks slightly unnatural to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

^ Agreed. B&W conversion might suit though... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It has the potential to be a nice portrait if the processing is toned down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Really like it... but the processing is more bling than Jim's bling... and it sort of overwhelms the content in the sense that it's the first thing that grabs your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 joey c

Good feedback there folks, i'll be taking it all on board - i took this with mono in mind for sure but found the colours very inviting..thanks for looking.
    joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

like it
    welcome to boards
    its addictive you know ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Quite a good environmental portrait but a tad overcooked for my liking. Welcome to boards BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Quite a good environmental portrait but a tad overcooked for my liking. Welcome to boards BTW.
    What he said, only slightly though :) Very nice pic, welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

This is pretty good but there's a distinct lack of a swan, it'd pull the whole image together. Like a good rug.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Marciofs

I think you reached you objective of adding more drama and giving a painting look and it was very well done. I wouldn't change anything.

It is not my taste though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Too dark, over processed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Could work really well as a sequence if you were to expand your efforts into a project focussing on people within their environment, at work, whatever.

I think the vibrancy is interesting but I fear that it might age in your opinion of it after not too long. However, there is a style there, some may really like, some may loathe - a bit like la chapelle's work. People either get what he's doing with colour, vibrancy, and saturation or em.... they don't. One could argue its the beauty of art. I do recall it taking this forum about 4 or 5 years to beat some hard line HDR lovers into submission :D So, the main gauge of success or otherwise should be if you like it for yourself.

Any of that doesn't take from the photograph which is a cracking shot. Congrats and well done on getting it. I presume you have it in source format so you can reprocess at any stage if you become bored of it.

The detail enhancement does appear a little heavy handed to my liking but then again I'm not the one who'll be viewing it time after time. I still think its a cracking shot.

This is pretty good but there's a distinct lack of a swan, it'd pull the whole image together. Like a good rug.
    Classic!...defo can imagine a swan..perhaps on a chain too!
    Seriously thanks for all feedback, i'm a bit surprised the pic is so divisive, i really didn't spend more than 10 mins in production and i hope to play about with in mono.
    Ancatdubh, thanks for takin the time to express ur view so well - and it is/will be part of a project i hope.
    cheers
    joe

joey c wrote: »
    Classic!...defo can imagine a swan..perhaps on a chain too!
    Seriously thanks for all feedback, i'm a bit surprised the pic is so divisive, i really didn't spend more than 10 mins in production and i hope to play about with in mono.
    Ancatdubh, thanks for takin the time to express ur view so well - and it is/will be part of a project i hope.
    cheers
    joe

The important is if you like it and if you get what you expected from the shot and pos production.

If you enjoy it, what others think about doesn't meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Marciofs wrote: »

Unless the exposure is all wrong of course.

Depending on the result you can also appreciate an image with "wrong exposure". The same manner you can appreciate an image with "wrong composition", "wrong colour balance", "wrong focus", and so on.

You can find amazing images that don't follow many rules, including exposure (sometimes intentional and sometimes by accident).

There is no rule but orientation for an standardised result, that we use when learning to get experience and knowledge. The main rule is the artist expression who will develop their own rule based on their taste developed with many practice and after experienced different results (intentionally or by accident).

Skilled artist is not only the one who is able to always create following the standardised rules, but the one who find the best way to transmit their expression (Mastering the old rules or creating his own rules for his own expression) and is consistent with whatever rules they find for their taste. In other words, finding the best way to communicate what they have or want to transmit.

Rules are always changing.

My opinion only. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The important is if you like it and if you get what you expected from the shot and pos production.

Depending on the result etc., etc....

Did we miss the typo and consequential photo-geek-humour or was it just me? ;)

(oh, the shame, I must be too long at this that I am seeing humour in that :D)

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Did we miss the typo and consequential photo-geek-humour or was it just me? ;)

(oh, the shame, I must be too long at this that I am seeing humour in that :D)

I miss a lot of this kind of observation because English is not my tong language as you can see. rsrs.

• Advertisement

All replys..weather they be good, bad , indifferent, misunderstood or misread are gratefully accepted - any opinion (assuming no malice intended) can only help improve ones perspective..
    Thanks again.
    joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

I'm going to disagree with most of the above. I do think it's great, but I like the extra punch, I thought it was fill flash at first, but I think your post processing adds to the shot. i'd like to see it in B & W though, i'd say it would be great as a contrasty B&W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Joe, it's a brilliant portrait. I tend to agree with others who've said it's over processed. I'd like to see it in mono maybe slightly toned or in colour with a vintage/cross process look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Great colour and clarity.
    I would say to much colour.

/edit
    I posted that after the initial pic, just read replies, I didn't jump on the bandwagon, honestly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JenMulkerrin

I think this is superb as is, you get a good feel of who he is

Advertisement