Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you had a time machine?

• 22-02-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

What would you do? I would go back and have a look at the Dinosaurs or have a wonder around ancient Rome I think. Yeah I would probably be eaten by the dinosaurs, but in this scenario, as soon as you die the time machine takes you back to the present day and restores you to full health. So a magic time machine I suppose :D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Go back to midnight last night and jump into bed again!

I'm a man of simple pleasures! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Is go back and kill Hitler then help Einstein create the chronosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I'd like to go back to 10.24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nevore wrote: »
    Is go back and kill Hitler then help Einstein create the chronosphere.

But then the soviets will come get us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

curlzy wrote: »
    What would you do? I would go back and have a look at the Dinosaurs or have a wonder around ancient Rome I think. Yeah I would probably be eaten by the dinosaurs, but in this scenario, as soon as you die the time machine takes you back to the present day and restores you to full health. So a magic time machine I suppose :D.

Me... At the side of James Connolly - GPO 1916.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dublin just after the 1916 rising to have a wander around while listening to the locals chatting and then fast foreward to Dealy Plazza Dallas 1963 so I can check out that grassy knoll **** ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'd go back just before another user posted one of these threads and smack them in the face.

Like a time-travelling Tango man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Maybe i just aint as noble as some AHers, but i have 3 words for what i'd do with my time machine. Euro Millions Numbers - i too am a man of simple pleasures and after i'd amassed a few hundred million in winnings i'd be simply pleased:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Go back in time and tell my younger self to invent Facebook or see Queen live at Wimbley in 1986.

Oh, and also to bring more plutonium for the DeLorean when he goes back in time. Now he's stuck with me, his future self. Much hilarity ensues!

Rated PG-13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'd much prefer a thyme machine. A machine that produces the best tasting thyme on demand. Imagine that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Latchy wrote: »
    Dublin just after the 1916 rising to have a wander around while listening to the locals chatting

"Here Jonner that was bleed'n mad last week at that place near Dr.Quirkies"..

"No waaay, wha happened bud.. Sure I was out of me bin on a robbed horse and cart in Finglas"

"Sum lads had muuuurdur with de Brit's and ran amock with their glockz".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Me... At the side of James Connolly - GPO 1916.

There are worse failed rebellions to end up at, I guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Jedward --> Letterfrack Industrial School, c.1950.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Hitler? Dallas? Its a time machine, not a place machine - we already have those. Lol

I'd just have to go back 2000 years and check out Jesus and the gang... Imagine having the 411 on that whole gig?

'cptr

"Here Jonner that was bleed'n mad last week at that place near Dr.Quirkies"..

"No waaay, wha happened bud.. Sure I was out of me bin on a robbed horse and cart in Finglas"

"Sum lads had muuuurdur with de Brit's and ran amock with their glockz".
    That's just the script I had in mind Hayley Muscular Guava ...that's the script :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The time of the Vikings.
    Rape and pillage for one and all.

Maybe June 6, 1944 - D-Day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'd go back to the time Jesus was in the desert for the first Lent just as the hunger starts to kick in.

With Ferroro Rochers and Pringles.

Mwuhahahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Hitler? Dallas? Its a time machine, not a place machine - we already have those. Lol

I'd just have to go back 2000 years and check out Jesus and the gang... Imagine having the 411 on that whole gig?

'cptr

Well, it'd have to be able to adjust for the orbit of the earth, otherwise travelling back would leave you spinning in space, forever.

No, I have not spent a lot of time thinking about the mechanics of this, honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I'd go back to 1994. I'd empty my scrotum into my french teacher given another opportunity

Hitler? Dallas? Its a time machine, not a place
    Yea but we could always stop the clock on the 'time machine ' ...I'm sure the GI's on Ohmaha beach on D Day 1944 would take that advantage ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd go forward a week first, grab next week's lotto number. Then a few hundred years, to see how this bad boy turns out. Going back in time is for chumps.
    Steal some advanced medical equipment, then spend the rest of my life reverse engineering it and being hailed as the greatest inventor of all time while simultaneously inventing the devices which will prolong my life by hundreds of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'd go back to 1994. I'd empty my scrotum into my french teacher given another opportunity

:D Username :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

To the year 24 million. I'm planning a book series about time travellers so I'd like to get a more realistic idea of what it's going to be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

OneArt wrote: »
    To the year 24 million. I'm planning a book series about time travellers so I'd like to get a more realistic idea of what it's going to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

But how come horses didn't evolve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OneArt wrote: »
    time travellers

Ya lookin ta sell dat chaaaaaariot luv?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    I'd go forward a week first, grab next week's lotto number. Then a few hundred years, to see how this bad boy turns out. Going back in time is for chumps.
    Steal some advanced medical equipment, then spend the rest of my life reverse engineering it and being hailed as the greatest inventor of all time while simultaneously inventing the devices which will prolong my life by hundreds of years.
    This. Going ack to say Rome and trying to make it there would be hard. You'd have to learn Greek for a start. Then you'd have to avoid being enslaved or burned as a sorcerer. Better to go forward(and more possible) and see if this talked about singularity ever comes about.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'd go back and stop Doctor Who being created. That'd cause plenty of time paradoxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I'd go back and kill the celtic tiger when it's a cub, things might not be so ****ed up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Another opportunity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can I bring stuff with me?

Maybe go back to caveman times with a lighter and an I-phone and really fu*k with their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I'd go to about the year 3000, see how things turned out and then acquire lots of encyclopaedias of history of the 3rd millennium to see if any of my descendants ended up contributing to mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Go back and buy Apple stock instead of blowing £1000 on the promised eircom bonanza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If I had a time machine I would go back to the thread about time machines created about two weeks ago here

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I would get into the time machine with a fly and come out the other side with the fly's DNA mixed with mine.

Then I'd be able to walk up and down walls and puke on people's food...

Wait.... I'm getting two films mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I would get into the time machine with a fly and come out the other side with the fly's DNA mixed with mine.

Then I'd be able to walk up and down walls and puke on people's food...

Wait.... I'm getting two films mixed up.

Lol your mixing p Irvine Welshs Granton Star Cause (Acid House) with The Fly.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I'd definitely go forward in time. I don't want to revisit any of my past, keep chuggin forward! I'd have great craic suggesting things to people that might happen and then when they do happen, I'd be considered amazing and be fabulously famous and rich.

That, or I'll see that my life is **** in the future :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd go back to shoot the cowardly schite that was going to kill Michael Collins - or at least stop the killer by some means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'd go back to just before each historic great moment that happened and nip in before them and take credit for it.

Then I'd head forward in time, and see if immortality is possible.

Nah TBH I'd just use it to perv....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'd go to 17th century prague and defenestrate the **** out of everybody:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

coco_lola wrote: »
    I'd definitely go forward in time. I don't want to revisit any of my past, keep chuggin forward! I'd have great craic suggesting things to people that might happen and then when they do happen, I'd be considered amazing and be fabulously famous and rich.

You'd be considered just plain lucky tbh. Now if you'd gone back in time (cue Huey Lewis) you could pull this off a lot easier. Your call though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd go back and prevent Christianity, Islam and Judaism from starting.
    Oh, and hook up with Marilyn Monroe.

Advertisement