Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed at work - Opinions

Options
  • 22-02-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Im going anon for this post....

I started a new job four months ago. The job consists of two roles...IT Administrator (what I studied in college) and Online Sales Development (something I have no experience in)

During the interview process it was outlined that I would look after the day to day I.T infrastructure of the company and help the Marketing department with any tasks e.g Facebook, web updates etc. I was assured training would be given.
    Within a week the Marketing Manager left the company. This left a person who originally worked in accounts to look after the Online Marketing and myself.
    A folder was left with steps as how to perform daily tasks but no real explanation or tuition.
    A month later the other person left on Maternity Leave, leaving me in the role on my own to look after the online end of things, and try to look after the day to day I.T tasks.
    Pretty soon my days were taken up solely with Marketing and the I.T aspect of my job (something I consider myself good at and interested in) was just left behind with work building up. During the month of December I was left to perform my own work and the work of the Marketing Dept. Needless to say I became very stressed and pretty soon dreaded going to work. I managed to get it together with many sleepless nights and days spent dreading my next task.

Roll on January when an intern was taken on to work in Marketing and some Business Admin tasks e.g accounts, billing etc. They were given some of the work I had inherited but still did not easy my workload. I spoke to my manager and outlined my worries. They explained they understood my problems and hopefully a full time marketing person would be taken on and I could go back to concentrating on my own tasks.

Last week at a monthly meeting I had to discuss figures regarding to online sales. I have no previous experience in a sales role, never mind marketing and I struggled as I didn't know what to say. We then discussed the matter of upcoming tasks to which I notified the person present that I had spoken to my manager about taking some of the marketing tasks from me. They were to be assigned to the intern. I was told that this wasn't going to happen and they were mine and that was that.

Needless to say I was angry as I felt overwhelmed and in a way cheated. The following day the director of the company called me in and said my attitude at the meeting was disgraceful, I had no interest in the company or the figure I was presenting. I was a lack cloud bringing down all my staff and I was to leave my problems at the door and come in with a bright positive attitude. I tried to give my point saying that the work I was doing is not furthering my career as I will never use it again and a future employer would not treat it as experience. I also said my frustrations were to do with work and its hard to leave them outside. He said that the work had to be done and that was that. Put up of shut up essentially.

So, basically I'm depressed, frustrated, and fed up. I want to leave but in my current location jobs are very hard to come by. However I cannot spend another week here. I'm very stressed and losing sleep. I dread work each day and 6' o clock is like getting out of jail.

There is plenty more I could out down but I have written enough I think!

Basically I'm looking for any advice, opinions, experiences people may have. My folks have told me to do what I think is best but I need some impartial advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can you think about looking for jobs in another area?

Is it bad enough that you should visit your doctor, and see if he can put you on sick leave for a couple of weeks - time to get your head together?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am actually trying to get a job doing anything else really...Its gone to the stage that any job is a way out of here. However in my location any job is hard to come by. Jobs in my own profession are very hard to come by here. I moved house to take up this job and don't want to move my family again as the last move put a lot of stress on them.

My next port of call is to visit my GP. I'm losing sleep every night and I am very stressed and anxious. Sick leave is an option but as I am on probation chances are I will be let go once I return. That might seems like an ideal scenario but not when there are bills to pay.

Advertisement