Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief: have proof for this year, do I need proof for Dec 2010?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I want to claim rent relief for 2012, no back claims. I've been renting for a few years but wasn't paying enough tax before to claim tax back. I can get receipts for this year no problem.

However I know you've to have been renting during Dec 2010 to claim rent relief, which I was, but will I need to get proof of this? I don't actually have receipts but my landlord took my PRSI number so would the Revenue have this on record? If it's relevant, I tried to claim online but the button was greyed out as Ineligible so maybe they don't know I was renting then.

Thanks a lot for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Adelie wrote: »
    I want to claim rent relief for 2012, no back claims. I've been renting for a few years but wasn't paying enough tax before to claim tax back. I can get receipts for this year no problem.

However I know you've to have been renting during Dec 2010 to claim rent relief, which I was, but will I need to get proof of this? I don't actually have receipts but my landlord took my PRSI number so would the Revenue have this on record? If it's relevant, I tried to claim online but the button was greyed out as Ineligible so maybe they don't know I was renting then.

Thanks a lot for any info.

The greyed out rent credit is because you never claimed before and its being phased out. You need to complete a form Rent 1 and submit to your local PAYE section. Proof is not required unless requested however you should have the proof just in case. Your landlord probably took your PPS number for the PRTB registration.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/rent-credit.html

Advertisement