Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting a website

Options
  • 22-02-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have set-up a website and have five domain names for it, if I set-up one domain name to be hosted and the other four are all forwarding to it, can the four forwarding domains show up in a google search?

or any ideas the best thing to do in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I think when google crawls the site it will only see the actual domain in use.

Not 100% though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moved to SEO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Your "main domain" is mydomain1.com and you have mydomain2 to 5.com forwarding/redirecting to it - is assume that’s the setup.

If, in mydomain2 to 5.com, you have a forwarding script or html code - ‘we are directing to you new site’ type thing – then yes, mydomain2 to 5.com will show up in Search results (badly I’d suggest)

If you do a 301 redirect from mydomain2 to 5.com to mydomain1.com - it 'should' tell browsers and S/E's that the domains “doesn't exist” or in other words have moved permanently, then they shouldn’t show up – its not to say they wont, but there is a much better chance of them not showing in a 301 than a forwarding script which alters a s/e that a domain is alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hey,

I have set-up a website and have five domain names for it, if I set-up one domain name to be hosted and the other four are all forwarding to it, can the four forwarding domains show up in a google search?

or any ideas the best thing to do in this situation?

The best thing to do in this situation is 'ditch' the four and focus your efforts on one, forget the 'get rich quick' schemes and focus on proper SEO.

Your proposed set-up would dilute any reputation you're getting on the web - for example, consider any inbound links you might get, one site visitor might decide to link to domain1.com the other might decide to link to domain2.com, etc - it's far better to have 10 links to one domain than two links to five domains.

Using a forwarding script on the four domains to your main domain, and not promoting, or attempting any SEO, on any of them is your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you have one website or 4 websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 y8cargame

I have 7 pages website

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Blacknight wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve?

Do you have one website or 4 websites?

ive got one website, just with five different variants of the name, just to make it easier to find and to stop others setting up the same site as me with a similar domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Just 301 redirect the secondary domains to the main one.

Advertisement