Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents insurance (renters)

Options
  • 22-02-2012 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

little help needed with renters insurance.
    i've been stung by my insurer not paying out on a claim so have cancelled my policy due to them being very unhelpful and am looking around.
    i always just assumed, buy the insurance, it will be there when you need it, not so...

here are my questions:
    what insurance company offers less than 25k minimum value - we dont have remotely near that amount
    what items do you list as "all risks" and what benefits do you get

lastly how much do you pay?
    we were paying 200eu for the 25k minimum (which i was told would definitely cover us for everything and more, but nothing was mentioned about the "all risks" piece so they wont pay out for some items that were stolen)

cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Got mine through a broker; can't remember who the insurer is at the moment.

Dont know about the "less than 25k" thing. We've got it for 30.

Paid €130 last year and about €145 this year, and the policy specifies some high value items that are insured when taken outside the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

not meaning to pry, but do you think you have 30k of contents?
    as we dont own any furniture, fixtures, fittings, carpets, flooring, appliances and so on we think we would need far less.

i would estimate :
    1-2k for clothes
    2k (at a push) for various pc bits and pieces
    500 for tv
    500 for laptop
    100 each for PS3, 3ds and xbox
    300 each for ipad and 2 smart phones
    1k for bike

and of that, the ipad, the phones, the laptop and the bike, i believe all need to covered separately.
    would this be normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Not at all! But as far as I remember, of the options I was given, the next lowest was borderline too low for a not-too-dissimilar quote... I think yer one basically was touting the 30k as industry standard.

As it was, I was happy enough with the quote, and I do have a some expensive musical equipment...

And don't underestimate the replacement costs of mundane items as well!

EDIT: Bikes are separate on mine, but the laptop and some music gear are "specified items" notified to the insurer and insured to carry around with me. Unless they're spoofing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

I'm paying about €200 per annum. I have specified things like laptops, digital cameras, lenses, engagement rings etc under all risk, basically stuff you carry around with you and cost over 1000 to replace. Just incase one of us lost these items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I had my last premium with Quinn. I was paying 110e a year for 50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I looked for contents insurance about 9 months ago, and tried various sites online.

I went with nononsense.ie in the end - I think it cost about €75 for the year. I know their advertising is a considerable pain, but they're part of FBD so I had no qualms about signing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

I use FBD and pay around €75. I think it covers €15k of contents.

Advertisement