Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Call / SMS

Options
  • 22-02-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Got an SMS from 01-8692231 saying asking to call person xxxxxx and quote a reference.

When I did they started looking for personal details such as DOB, address, etc. I refused to give them this info and asked what was it for and why and did they need it.

They said it was for a data base and they could not divulge their information due to data protection and I asked again and they responded with they are an advertising company

This sounded like a scam and so I refused and they said fine and hung up...

Has anyone else heard of this or anything like it...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Any company that refuses to identify themselves when you phone the number (as these do) is up to something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I wouldn't ring a number I don't know. If its important they'll ring back. Too much spamming and time wasting scams around.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This relates to a similar style of scamming and is worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Never reply to a text message from a landline unless it is a number you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Thanks for all the replies, I withheld my number... I sent a mail to the data commissioners office to see what they make of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Did you try the O2 forum here? The call came from an O2 number, maybe they know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Stupid as this sounds, it sounds like a credit card or mortgage company. They will sometimes ring and ask the security questions to confirm they're talking to the right person, but won't say who they're calling from. This is despite the banks warnings over phishing scams!!

Ring your branch and give them the number to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Fey! wrote: »
    Stupid as this sounds, it sounds like a credit card or mortgage company. They will sometimes ring and ask the security questions to confirm they're talking to the right person, but won't say who they're calling from. This is despite the banks warnings over phishing scams!!

Ring your branch and give them the number to check it out.

But a bank would identify themselves first, plus they would have identified themselves in the message.

OP - what was the greeting that you got when you rang?

I rang the number " Thank you for calling! All our employees are busy, all our employees are still busy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I googled that number and the first result was a debt collection firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

This stinks like week old fish (Ash Wednesday and all that!!), would not answer any questions to a disembodied voice at an unknown number:eek::eek: It simply is not the way business is done!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

djk1000 wrote: »
    I googled that number and the first result was a debt collection firm.
    I got two missed calls from a strange number in the last twenty four hours; 01 839100, it's missing a digit!
    Then this afternoon just by coincidence I was visiting my parents and get a call on their phone, from some company saying it was a "personnal business" call. First she asks me twice was I Mr. Gillo and then asked me to confirm my address, without thinking I told her (my credit card is over due so figured it might be them, she told me my address was wrong, and asked a few times was I missing part of it.

They said they'd call me later!

Strange, I rang that number OP, it answered after one ring but couldn't get the company name.

BrianD wrote: »
    But a bank would identify themselves first, plus they would have identified themselves in the message.

OP - what was the greeting that you got when you rang?

I rang the number " Thank you for calling! All our employees are busy, all our employees are still busy"

You'd think that, wouldn't you. However, at least in the case of Ulster Banks mortgages and credit card departments, they refuse point blank to identify themselves. I understand that this policy is the same with most banks.

I had one form the security section for my debit card. Withheld number, asking the phishing questions. From experience I was able to guess where they were from, so I asked for the persons name and a number to contact them back on. I googled the number to confirm who it was, but rang them back from the number on their website (couldn't ring in to the number they gave me!!).

They make it so simple for the customer, don't they??? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I know with Bank of Ireland they always identify themselves, Got a text during the week from them
    Bank of ireland security - Please call xxxxxxxxxx. Alternatively call the lost or stolen number on the back of your card.

I get several of these during the year as I buy a lot online and would always call the number on the card rather then the number they gave in the text.

When I ring. They normally ask name, dob, and first line of address, then to confirm a number of purchases made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Buffman

I think the bottom line is never ring back a number that's texted to you if it's something you haven't initiated. If it's important they'll ring you.

I've heard of a scam where the number can be diverted to a premium rate number and you end up paying a good few €'s for the call. Can't find any Irish info but here's the UK advice.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    I think the bottom line is never ring back a number that's texted to you if it's something you haven't initiated. If it's important they'll ring you.

I've heard of a scam where the number can be diverted to a premium rate number and you end up paying a good few €'s for the call. Can't find any Irish info but here's the UK advice.

If you ring a number which is diverted you only pay for the call to that number, not to the diverted number.

For example, if you call 01-1234567 and it diverts to 1550-123456, you pay for the call to 01-1234567. The owner of 01-1234567 pays for the diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Buffman

Fey! wrote: »
    If you ring a number which is diverted you only pay for the call to that number, not to the diverted number.

For example, if you call 01-1234567 and it diverts to 1550-123456, you pay for the call to 01-1234567. The owner of 01-1234567 pays for the diversion.

Ye, you're correct, it's actually the 15xx numbers they use directly, but it still catches some people out. Especially if you were to put it in a format like (15)-90xxxxxx, most people know that our area codes start with 0, but some don't. Some Irish info about fake lotteries and premium rates here.

Anyway, I wouldn't ring back a company who text but don't ring, why should I save them on their phone bill! But then again I am a stingy so and so.:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciaran.Magee

Just got the text from Sharon. I've got to call her before 4pm to discuss my account. It's got a reference number...!

I wonder should I tell my future wife, there may by trouble ahead.

Might give them a call the next time I'm in bad form and give them a bit of the Angry Nordy...!

Very easy to fall for it though, be careful out there guys.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Just got the text from Sharon. I've got to call her before 4pm to discuss my account. It's got a reference number...!

I wonder should I tell my future wife, there may by trouble ahead.

Might give them a call the next time I'm in bad form and give them a bit of the Angry Nordy...!

Very easy to fall for it though, be careful out there guys.....!

I also got the text, but it's a legit company Intrum Justita - debt collection agency that works with UPC.

I had an incorrect bill that was resolved and credited a while ago but still got the chase up and told them it was sorted and also had the email as proof so they reverted to UPC.

If you've got the text, you've probably got an unpaid bill and received notice from Intrum Justitia so follow up is my advise.

This is not a scam folks!

Advertisement