Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blind spot during test ...

• 22-02-2012 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Just a quick question in regards to checking blindspots. I know blindspots are to be checked when starting the test, during the hillstart, reversing round the corner, changing lanes ect. However does the blindspot have to be checked everytime the car becomes stationary ie. at a stop sign, junction, stopped at lights. Thanks for any clarification!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

No. Also the checks of blind spots for the reverse and the turnabout are far more then the quick check for a lane change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ADIDriving wrote: »
    No. Also the checks of blind spots for the reverse and the turnabout are far more then the quick check for a lane change.

Maybe stupid question, but are checking of blind spots assessed during the driving test? If someone wouldn't turn his head, but still be sure there is nothing there, would this be a fail?

I'm not a learner driver. I drive a lot, but I must admit I never really have any need for checking a blind spots by turning my head, as I usually give a glance at my mirrors so often, that I know at all times, what's around me, so no car in blind spots should be any surprise. In the end other vehicles don't come into blind spot just like that, but you can always see them before they comes into blind spot, so if somthing's there, you should already know about it.

Am I not right?

Additionally that's really the only technique for driving big vehicles (trucks and buses or even vans) as there isn't really any way you can check blind spots.

CiniO wrote: »
    Maybe stupid question, but are checking of blind spots assessed during the driving test? If someone wouldn't turn his head, but still be sure there is nothing there, would this be a fail?

Blind spots are assessed very strictly during the test. Many people fail for not checking them.

I'm not a learner driver. I drive a lot, but I must admit I never really have any need for checking a blind spots by turning my head, as I usually give a glance at my mirrors so often, that I know at all times, what's around me, so no car in blind spots should be any surprise. In the end other vehicles don't come into blind spot just like that, but you can always see them before they comes into blind spot, so if somthing's there, you should already know about it.
    Am I not right?

You should check your blind spots. Just using the mirrors does not enough. Even very frequent use of the mirrors will not always work.

Additionally that's really the only technique for driving big vehicles (trucks and buses or even vans) as there isn't really any way you can check blind spots.

In large vehicles the driver does depend on their mirrors more by necessity, rather then choice. They generally have more mirrors, of different designs. They have to sit a second driving test to be licenced to drive that vehicle and potentially do yearly training. They also kill pedestrians that they cannot see in some of those blind spots, from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ADIDriving wrote: »
    In large vehicles the driver does depend on their mirrors more by necessity, rather then choice. They generally have more mirrors, of different designs.
    Heh generally yes, in newer vehicles.
    I drive a 20 years old coach, and all I have is just two regular size mirrors, one on each side. I have to manage with that somehow.

They have to sit a second driving test to be licenced to drive that vehicle and potentially do yearly training. They also kill pedestrians that they cannot see in some of those blind spots, from time to time.

If they kill pedestrians, in most cases it just means they are not checking those mirrors properly, and early enough.

CiniO wrote: »
    Heh generally yes, in newer vehicles.
    I drive a 20 years old coach, and all I have is just two regular size mirrors, one on each side. I have to manage with that somehow.

If they kill pedestrians, in most cases it just means they are not checking those mirrors properly, and early enough.

You could retro fit better or extra mirrors to make life easier for yourself as well as safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

This might be a very stupid question, but what's the actual definition of checking your blindspots? I thought it was physically turning your head around to see what you might miss in your mirrors. But judging by this post I'm meant to check my blindspots when I'm changing lanes?? I look over my shoulder when reversing (around corners, parking, turnabouts), but I never ever look over my shoulder when changing lanes. I check both mirrors, indicate, check mirrors again and then change lanes if the way is clear. If I was to look over my shoulder while the car was at speed I think I'd be much more inclined to cause an accident :confused: Can somebody please clarify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

woodchuck wrote: »
    This might be a very stupid question, but what's the actual definition of checking your blindspots? I thought it was physically turning your head around to see what you might miss in your mirrors. But judging by this post I'm meant to check my blindspots when I'm changing lanes?? I look over my shoulder when reversing (around corners, parking, turnabouts), but I never ever look over my shoulder when changing lanes. I check both mirrors, indicate, check mirrors again and then change lanes if the way is clear. If I was to look over my shoulder while the car was at speed I think I'd be much more inclined to cause an accident :confused: Can somebody please clarify?

I think what you are doing is correct, its called a blind spot because it is the area that is not visible to the driver under normal conditions, during maneuvers it becomes very important, looking over your shoulder while driving straight at speed is very dangerous and by the time you turn your head back around something might have ended up in front of your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

woodchuck wrote: »

If you don't check your blind spot whilst changing lanes on your test you will pick up a Grade 2 (Serious) Fault at the very least.
    It's important you do this to, as you say, to check the areas you can't see in your mirror prior to drifting across to the other lane or when moving away from the kerb.

The blind spot check is a GLANCE. It is not a stare. You are not trying to look up the road behind you, you are glancing over your shoulder to check if there is anything to the immediate side of you. To do it effectively you only need to turn your head 90 degrees and let your eyes do the rest. It takes less than a second to perform.

If changing lanes to the left look over your left shoulder, if changing to the right look over your right shoulder prior to actually moving over.

If you are unsure how to do this or are worried about it practice it on a quiet road or car park whilst driving straight. Another method is to park up. Get someone to stand outside you car so that you can see them in your mirror. Get them to move so that you can't see them in your mirror. Glance over your shoulder, this is the area you should be looking for.
    I think what you are doing is correct, its called a blind spot because it is the area that is not visible to the driver under normal conditions, during maneuvers it becomes very important, looking over your shoulder while driving straight at speed is very dangerous and by the time you turn your head back around something might have ended up in front of your car.

It might be dangerous if you look over your shoulder for too long. Follow my description above.

A quick and simple distinction on this:
    Blind spot check for changing lanes = Look roughly 90 degrees to the side.
    Blind spot check for moving off = Look roughly 150 degrees behind you.

Advertisement