Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Ireland [esb] vs Airtricity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

The companies apply a flat fee charge if you break out of the discount period, , not sure of airt. but esb charge 50e. Ring airtricity and get confirmation. If youre near the end of the discount period they may waive it if you ring up and be nice.

We'll well out any contract (2 years) - however what I was wondering the plan we're on - where they charge you a set amount each month (they average out the yearly cost) - I actually rang them in the end - and it doesn't look like we will - however this could be a issue for some customers might be worth checking out before moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    oh thats interesting. what make is the monitor, might get one.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Current-Cost-CC128-Envi-Energy-Electricity-Saving-Monitor-RRP-49-95-/180824880187?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2a1a00b43b

here is a link to one on eBay.....if you Google "Current Cost model cc128" you will find them for sale, the one above is on eBay for £33. They are a serious piece of kit with a clamp for the incoming cable attached to a WiFi transmitter and a monitor which is tuned to the transmitter.

You can input a unit cost into the monitor and it calculates your daily,monthly cost based on your current usage rate.I input the cost including vat. myself for a more true cost reading. Its a long way from the old analogue meter the ESB installed.:-)

Seeing as Airtricity gave me one for free I'm up €50 already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Walker34 wrote: »

Can you still get them for free from them? Haven't heard anything about them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The electric kettle is a big user in our house......boiled 40 times a day,at least, usually full.
    WTF are you doing - boiling water in the kettle to take a bath? :eek:

Most modern kettles have a minimum level of about 2 cups.... Why boil a full kettle for a cup or two of tea? It would be easier on the planet if you just burned your money in the fireplace.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'm in credit with Airtricity but I'm thinking of moving providers. Anyone in a similar position have any issues getting refunded etc? I'll give them a ring anyway just interested in how it would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Find it annoying that Electric Ireland (and possibly others) are offering new/returning customers greater discounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Find it annoying that Electric Ireland (and possibly others) are offering new/returning customers greater discounts.

Sounds like privatisation and de-regulation to me. ESB are now outside the Competition Authorities, they've lost a huge market so are appealing to customers they've lost over the last few years! Its a huge market after all!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Current-Cost-CC128-Envi-Energy-Electricity-Saving-Monitor-RRP-49-95-/180824880187?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2a1a00b43b

here is a link to one on eBay.....if you Google "Current Cost model cc128" you will find them for sale, the one above is on eBay for £33. They are a serious piece of kit with a clamp for the incoming cable attached to a WiFi transmitter and a monitor which is tuned to the transmitter.

You can input a unit cost into the monitor and it calculates your daily,monthly cost based on your current usage rate.I input the cost including vat. myself for a more true cost reading. Its a long way from the old analogue meter the ESB installed.:-)

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Bord Gáis are cheapest for electricity for me and Flogas are cheapest for gas.

I would never EVER go with Airtricity again for anything. Shower of cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JPKY

I am so mad :mad:
    I have never even heard of a bill this high :confused:
    Airtricity, taking the p***

€577.

2 months, one bed, no kids, 2 people at work all day. (Elec & Gas)

I gave a reading the other day so previous bills where estimates.

It is still totally dishonest to give the illusion of cheap energy and then hit you with a huge adjustment.

Steer clear of Airticity! a 190% on average price hike. IMO customer ignorance is a defence in this scenario...

15 Mar 2012 Bill €577.45
    16 Jan 2012 Bill €282.15
    15 Nov 2011 Bill €111.88
    15 Sep 2011 Bill €241.04
    15 Jul 2011 Bill €177.22
    10 May 2011 Bill €191.12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just changed electric and gas there from airtricity.

They were getting expensive plus the fact they "forgot" to charge me for gas for 4 or 5 months and then sent a bill for nearly a grand!!

I'd signed up direct debit and presumed all was being paid every month.

Bye, bye airtricity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Berberis

JPKY wrote: »

€577.

It is still totally dishonest to give the illusion of cheap energy and then hit you with a huge adjustment.

Steer clear of Airticity! a 190% on average price hike. IMO customer ignorance is a defence in this scenario...

15 Mar 2012 Bill €577.45
    16 Jan 2012 Bill €282.15
    15 Nov 2011 Bill €111.88
    15 Sep 2011 Bill €241.04
    15 Jul 2011 Bill €177.22
    10 May 2011 Bill €191.12

No offence but if your previous bills were all estimates then surely you knew that your bills were much lower than what they should have been.
    I usually check my meter reading when I get an estimated bill and if there is a large difference, I usually ring in the proper reading for a new updated bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

€577.

15 Mar 2012 Bill €577.45
    16 Jan 2012 Bill €282.15
    15 Nov 2011 Bill €111.88
    15 Sep 2011 Bill €241.04
    15 Jul 2011 Bill €177.22
    10 May 2011 Bill €191.12

You are a DINK - count your blessings ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

dolallyoh wrote: »

€577.

15 Mar 2012 Bill €577.45
    16 Jan 2012 Bill €282.15
    15 Nov 2011 Bill €111.88
    15 Sep 2011 Bill €241.04
    15 Jul 2011 Bill €177.22
    10 May 2011 Bill €191.12

You are a DINK - count your blessings ;-)
    Not very helpful. However, to address the other post. While you may be seething at the high bill try and understand they charge you on the units used. The base unit price remains the same. If all the other bills were on an estimate then that means you were using more then what they estimated you were using. It doesn't change the fact you used the units though and if they were working off accurate readings every time that high bill you just got would have been spread over the last few bills. Probably doesn't make you any happier but just so you understand.
    I would suggest to Call them and ask why were the estimated readings so far out, and say that you know you owe it but can't afford that much in one payment. see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the big question is, why on earth were they working off estimates for the best part of a year?

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    the big question is, why on earth were they working off estimates for the best part of a year?

this is true, theyre supposed to get accurate readings 4 times a year.

http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre-ie/meter-readings/the-basics/is-it-compulsory-to-send-in-meter-readings/

OP would definitely have a case to go back to them to get that bill spread out if the last 10-11 months were estimates. cant see them dispensing with the bill altogether though.

as a contrast, we're on a bord gais pre-pay meter (which was here when we arrived) for gas in our current place and we got a bill for an outstanding amount.

my wife called and questioned why we were getting a bill on pre-pay and was told that there was an increase of 22% on the price of gas, but that only half of it had been applied to our account and they were billing us for the remainder.

when my wife said, "sorry, but we pre-payed for gas at that price, you can't just send us a bill for more money after the sale", they agreed immediately with no fuss and removed the balance on the account and that was it.

we had a not too dissimilar billing issue with airtricity making a mistake and they hounded us every couple of weeks for the best part of a year before finally giving in and admitting it was their mistake.

due to the above, AND other issues i've spoken with and emailed airtricity many dozens of times during the time we were customers and almost every time was an exercise in futility. never again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

this is true, theyre supposed to get accurate readings 4 times a year.

http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre-ie/meter-readings/the-basics/is-it-compulsory-to-send-in-meter-readings/

OP would definitely have a case to go back to them to get that bill spread out if the last 10-11 months were estimates. cant see them dispensing with the bill altogether though.

esb networks take the readings, not airtricity, and estimates are based on previous actuals so usually are fairly on the ball

Esel wrote: »
    WTF are you doing - boiling water in the kettle to take a bath? :eek:

Most modern kettles have a minimum level of about 2 cups.... Why boil a full kettle for a cup or two of tea? It would be easier on the planet if you just burned your money in the fireplace.

Up until recently, boiling the kettle was not a consideration, much less how full it was. In recent months however, the unit price and hence the size of bills have reached such ridiculous levels that I am finally doing something about it. My initial goal is to reverse the effects of the more recent price rises by some simple procedures like only boiling the water I need and switching off everything except the essentials at night. This camels back is well and truly broken! The airtricity monitor is a useful tool in this endeavor. Somebody expressed doubt when I said it was 2000watts,....... BTW my kettle is actually a 3 kw unit......

http://reviews.next.co.uk/4377-en_gb/733-971-X46/next-kettle-green-reviews/reviews.htm

Recently replaced ten 50wX240v eyeball spotlight bulbs (total 500w) with led versions which use 3 watts each (total 30watts). The light is not quite as intense and the bulbs cost €60.....but at 1 kw every 2 hours I will have paid for them in less than 3 months. 1Kw costs €109 per month or for 672 hrs. I should break even in 67.2 days. I am in the process of replacing all my bulbs with low wattage versions. Regularly I am replacing 60watt filament bulbs with 12w ones from Dunne`s stores which cost €6. Hopefully the percentage reductions will be mirrored in my bills.

Now I see we are being hit with a €300 property tax. When will the civil disobedience finally kick off....how far must we be pushed. This is the price of Corporatism with their obligatory 10% annual growth rate. Now we are competing with China and Vietnam and their €2/week minimum wadge.

• Advertisement

Regularly I am replacing 60watt filament bulbs with 12w ones from Dunne`s stores which cost €6.
    You can get these bulbs a lot cheaper in Tesco (sometimes €1 each) , and in the various Euro shops (€2 each). I got a 36w one for €3 recently - brightest one I have come across so far.

Not your ornery onager

if you're around Dublin, IKEA are very good for cheap energy saving bulbs as well.

I recently bought 22 phillips master 3W LED bulbs myself from Eurosales to replace a bunch of 50W GU10 spots i have in the house and it's making a huge difference on the bill. they were a tenner each, but well worth the investment given the difference in wattage and the extremely long life of the LED's.

i still have a lot more of them to get, but i'm already saving (long term) a heap with the ones i have already.

Esel wrote: »
    You can get these bulbs a lot cheaper in Tesco (sometimes €1 each) , and in the various Euro shops (€2 each). I got a 36w one for €3 recently - brightest one I have come across so far.
    Also noted is vibe666`s tip

This is good information.......now to something which has bothered me for a while. Since I got this energy monitor device I regularly see 2Kw being used for the guts of an hour and I`v traced it to two appliances....the washing machine and the dishwasher.

I remember installing them and debating with the plumber why there was no hot inlet on these appliances anymore. Back in the day there was "hot in" as well as "cold in" on washing machines anyway. Now there is "cold in" only, which means that even though I have a cylinder full of piping hot water, I am forced to use cold to fill the washing machine and heat this water with electricity, at 4 times the cost per watt.

The plumber insisted that the idea of connecting up the machine to the hot supply was not advised so rather than argue I let it go and connected the cold line to both machines. His hesitant reply gave me the impression that it was a devil you know kinda thing with him.It would be a simple matter of running off any residual cold water in the line with the kitchen sink tap before putting on a wash.

Anyone know if there is any justification for filling from the cold line rather than the hot line. Even the connectors are coded blue in color, which implies the connection should be to the cold line.Any "pushers" from Airtricity,Bord Gas,or ESB need not reply.:-)

i've not com across a cold only washing machine yet, but it was a good 6-7 years ago when i bought our last one, although our dishwasher bought around the same time (and the mother in laws as well) were both cold only.

i had assumed it was to do with there only (normally) being a single hot and cold supply for washing machines in most kitchens, but on thinking about it further, you'd have to imagine it's only as difficult to put in a hot feed for a dishwasher as it is to put in a cold one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I didn't notice my discount with Airtricity ran out a couple of months ago. Did notice the higher bills but put it down to time of year. I used that site www.bonkers.ie and can save €85 per year by going to ESB or whatever they are called now. Never had any problem with Airtricity, they have an excellent website. Thanks for highlighting OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

microwave........60w
    Shower................60w

You must have one of those dodgy airtricity energy monitors the OP is talking about ;)

A modern microwave oven is about 800-1000W

An electric shower is about 10,000W

Or were these switched off when you were measuring their energy use? :p

unkel wrote: »
    You must have one of those dodgy airtricity energy monitors the OP is talking about ;)

A modern microwave oven is about 800-1000W

An electric shower is about 10,000W

Or were these switched off when you were measuring their energy use? :p

My power shower comprises a Techflow Q120 3 bar twin impeller single phase pump using a techflange from my indirect hot cylinder and cold water attic tank. I think you are presuming that I am using one of those Triton shower units......about 8.5Kw.

Like I say when I installed my appliances I purposely avoided using ANY electrical heating where possible. As for the microwave ....I checked it again and it takes 2.2Kw (900w X 240v)when its running, so you spotted that error.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've not com across a cold only washing machine yet, but it was a good 6-7 years ago when i bought our last one, although our dishwasher bought around the same time (and the mother in laws as well) were both cold only.

i had assumed it was to do with there only (normally) being a single hot and cold supply for washing machines in most kitchens, but on thinking about it further, you'd have to imagine it's only as difficult to put in a hot feed for a dishwasher as it is to put in a cold one?

My old washing machine which I replaced last year had both hot and cold inlets so I already have the two connections points installed. I got a new machine last year, a Zanussi 6HG, and it only has one inlet.....marked cold and specified as such in the documentation. Dishwasher is the same dumb setup.....cold in only.

Think Ill take a chance and connect the hot water to the only inlet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 delboy_53

My old washing machine which I replaced last year had both hot and cold inlets so I already have the two connections points installed. I got a new machine last year, a Zanussi 6HG, and it only has one inlet.....marked cold and specified as such in the documentation. Dishwasher is the same dumb setup.....cold in only.

Think Ill take a chance and connect the hot water to the only inlet on it.

connect only the cold water , the washing machine will not rinse correctly , you risk wrecking your clothes as the water could be above 60 deg from the tap the machine can't regulate this and the door will not open at end of cycle until machine has cooled as the door interlocks are thermally actuated .

as for the dishwasher , all modern appliances use ic boards and thermistor circuits with cpu's and are software driven . if the machine sees a hi temp at start of cycle it will just sit there and probably generate a alarm code indicated by some flashing lights .

if you want to reduce the energy consumption of the machines use the eco modes ..most of these are low temp washes ..also stop overloading the machine , everyone does it ..less clothes on a shorter cycle will give good results ..

enjoy ...incase you wondering I was a service engineer for 5 years with a well known uk manufacturer ..10 house calls a day so I've seen a fair bit .

Delboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My power shower comprises a Techflow Q120 3 bar twin impeller single phase pump using a techflange from my indirect hot cylinder and cold water attic tank. I think you are presuming that I am using one of those Triton shower units......about 8.5Kw.

My bad. Assumption is the mother of all fukc ups :)

I've a similar setup to yourself with all water from the attic tank and the hot cylinder boosted by a pump. Works great but my standard 120l cylinder is empty very quickly :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    My bad. Assumption is the mother of all fukc ups :)

I've a similar setup to yourself with all water from the attic tank and the hot cylinder boosted by a pump. Works great but my standard 120l cylinder is empty very quickly :D
    we moved house before xmas and the new place has a tiny hot water tank, it's not much bigger than a well insulated kettle! :(

seriously, any more than 7-8 minutes in the shower and the water starts going cold and you have to put on the immersion for the next person. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Just got an improvement on my rate from Airtricity by calling them up. Got 14.56c per unit versus ESB's 14.41 but with ESB it involved a 14 month contract.

Damn! forgot to get one of those meter thingies

groom wrote: »
    Just got a better rate from Airtricity by calling them up. Got 14.56c per unit versus ESB's 14.41 but with ESB it involved a 14 month contract.

not sure if this makes sense, from your post it seems like airtricity is more? ESB has a 14 month contract, how long was the airtricity contract, they usually make you sign up to a contract as part of any discount?

Alos, did you factor in Airtricitys higher daily rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just got a better rate from Airtricity by calling them up. Got 14.56c per unit versus ESB's 14.41 but with ESB it involved a 14 month contract.

So you're paying more per unit and you reckon you got a better rate?

You didn't once work for Anglo did you?!

Yeah I'm already with Airtricity so I just got an improvement on my existing rate without being tied to a contract (I'm out of contract). Electric Ireland told me I'd be tied until June '13

I would have saved about another €11 per annum if I had switched I reckon

14.41c v 14.56 per unit
    28.93c v 32.01 standing charge

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

Yeah I'm already with Airtricity so I just got an improvement on my existing rate without being tied to a contract (I'm out of contract). Electric Ireland told me I'd be tied until June '13

I would have saved about another €11 per annum if I had switched I reckon

14.41c v 14.56 per unit
    28.93c v 32.01 standing charge

I'm with Airtricity and am paying :

16.23c Smartsaver Standard Day
    8.04c Smartsaver Standard Night
    42.56c Standard Charge P2 Dom Urban

Whats that about? How come your getting a better rate? Can i negotiate with them??

The Airtricity monitor, (which I discovered was available on eBay for €60 anyway)

Picked my one up on ebay.co.uk for a tenner. The best piece of kit ever.

Leave it at the bottom of your stairs. Glance at it before you go to bed to see if anything unusual is going on.

Not your friends:
    Toaster
    Kettle
    Halogen Spot/Dimmer lights
    Food steamer
    Get rid of old style light bulbs
    Don't have your fridge on the highest setting ( have it too low, food goes off quicker)

Maybe others could add.

Oh, and another thing.

Next time you approach your kettle, take the lid off - look at the element inside, if its caked with limescale, it will take your kettle alot longer to boil.

You can try and chip away the limescale, or an easier way is to buy a cheap bottle of vinegar, fill the kettle up just to submerge the element, leave it over night(leave a note on it !!!!), next morning the limescale will come off with a little scrubbing, rinse the bejaysus out of it, and your kettle will boil miles quicker.

Kettles eat alot of juice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Whats that about? How come your getting a better rate? Can i negotiate with them??

you are on a nightsaver bill, so your daytime rate and standing charge are higher

• Advertisement

Oh, and another thing.

Next time you approach your kettle, take the lid off - look at the element inside, if its caked with limescale, it will take your kettle alot longer to boil.

You can try and chip away the limescale, or an easier way is to buy a cheap bottle of vinegar, fill the kettle up just to submerge the element, leave it over night(leave a note on it !!!!), next morning the limescale will come off with a little scrubbing, rinse the bejaysus out of it, and your kettle will boil miles quicker.

Kettles eat alot of juice
    you could just get one of those limescale removing tablets/sachets, no scrubbing required at all and they are very cheap.

just half fill the kettle, boil it and drop in the tablet/sachet and leave it to do it's work. then empty it out, re-fill and re-boil with fresh water, throw that out and you're don, sparkling clean new kettle. :)

Definitely if you're with then more than 12months. Ring up Electric Ireland and see what you can get from them (bearing in mind changing to them will involve a minimum term) then see if Airtricity can improve on what you've got already and make your choice. Make sure Airtricity aren't getting you into another minimum term or you might as well just go to EI. The standard charge seems to be the real difference. EI's one is only 29c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Leave it at the bottom of your stairs. Glance at it before you go to bed to see if anything unusual is going on.

Not your friends:
    Toaster
    Kettle
    Food steamer
    Don't have your fridge on the highest setting ( have it too low, food goes off quicker)

Maybe others could add.

Very interesting rosco, thanks.

Can you check and let us know which seller your got the monitor for a tenner from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

quaalude wrote: »
    Very interesting rosco, thanks.

Can you check and let us know which seller your got the monitor for a tenner from?

I'd also be interested to know where you picked it up, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Like I say when I installed my appliances I purposely avoided using ANY electrical heating where possible. As for the microwave ....I checked it again and it takes 2.2Kw (900w X 240v)when its running, so you spotted that error.

I spotted a mistake....

you don't multiply Watts by volts to get kW.
    surely you mean 9A * 230 V = 2070W or 2.1kW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Smartsaver Std 24hr 15.2 c
    Other charge PSO Levy 2 161 c
    Other charge Standing Charge P3 Dom Rural 45 days 41.44 c
    Other charge Standing Charge P3 Dom Rural 15 days 46.37 c

Do Airtricity's charges seem to vary from person to person my standing charges are not 32 cents.

Oh just see the Rural Standing Charges differ from Urban and also Incl VAT.

http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/products/current-offers-2/airtricity-standard-electricity/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Kilteragh

Not your friends:
    Toaster
    Kettle
    Food steamer

Maybe others could add.

Can you post a link to the one you got please? TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just switched back to ESB. My discount ran out with Bord Gais and when I contacted them and hinted I was switching (hoping they would say we will offer the same discount) they said yeah thats fine :(. So off I went :D.

Was going to switch to Airtricity but after reading the horror stories about customer service or lack of it decided on ESB.

amber2 wrote: »
    Smartsaver Std 24hr 15.2 c
    Other charge PSO Levy 2 161 c
    Other charge Standing Charge P3 Dom Rural 45 days 41.44 c
    Other charge Standing Charge P3 Dom Rural 15 days 46.37 c

Do Airtricity's charges seem to vary from person to person my standing charges are not 32 cents.

Oh just see the Rural Standing Charges differ from Urban and also Incl VAT.

http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/products/current-offers-2/airtricity-standard-electricity/
    32c is before VAT btw

ted1 wrote: »
    I spotted a mistake....

you don't multiply Watts by volts to get kW.
    surely you mean 9A * 230 V = 2070W or 2.1kW
    Surely a microwave (or any appliance) rated at 900W uses 0.9kW per hour?

Unless it is a combi unit with convection oven and/or grill? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm with airtricity but considering moving because of a lack of confidence in their billing. I'm on both gas and electricity but getting irregular bills of between €300 to €500 plus odd credit adjustments.

My main gripe is that because of the way their billing is inconsistent that it causes me a lot of unexpected pain in having to come up with €500 in a month for such a bill.

For instance my latest bill is enlarged because it is charging for electricity since December; it's April now. This is despite me taking readings and submitting them.

I'm not objecting to paying for what I use only to them not having a more efficient monthly billing management that helps me manage my bill.

On top of that, my last bill was over €500 only for me to get a credit on this bill of €170 because it was over. Its a shambles and even though theoretically I should be benefiting from discounts since I moved last year, it feels as though I'm actually worse off. There certainly is nothing keeping me from staying with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement