Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doggie dental issues

• 22-02-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Took my four year old collie for her annual check up yesterday and was told that her teeth were in a bad way. THe vet recommended bringing her in for a major cleaning exercise. Apparently they are put under anaesthetic and get a thorough cleaning, under the gums etc . We have never had a problem before with any of the other dogs' teeth They don't get treats and get regular bones to chew. Just wondered if any one has experience of this procedure?. Am a bit reluctant to have the poor dog anaesthetised but her teeth are shocking!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

If she is young and in good health otherwise I would go for it. The dog will be put under GA and her teeth will be cleaned and polished. To fix dental issues you need to start with a clean mouth.

After cleaning the vet/nurse should go through the dogs diet with you and help you with further dental care.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

We were told the same last year by the vet, when our seven year old girl (terrier X) went for a check up. She needed a thorough clean and an extraction.
    We were sick at the thought of her going under anesthetic, but it was unavoidable, for her comfort and her health.

The vet did every test to make sure she was healthy enough to be put under, bloods etc.
    She had the procedure last October, and we collected her a few hours later. That evening she was still a little drowsy and slept for hours, but was soon back to her playful self.

It really would be the best for your little one if you get her teeth done.
    Lots of luck to you and your girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Thanks to all for advice, I will book her in for the treatment. What just has me baffled is how one dog out of four, all fed the same (all collie crosses or some similar mix) can have suddenly developed such a dental problem. The other dogs, several who are much older (nine) have great teeth!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Bixy wrote: »
    Thanks to all for advice, I will book her in for the treatment. What just has me baffled is how one dog out of four, all fed the same (all collie crosses or some similar mix) can have suddenly developed such a dental problem. The other dogs, several who are much older (nine) have great teeth!:confused:

Some dogs and cats just have bad teeth, you could feed 2 dogs of the same breed, same age the same food and one could have lovely teeth and the other manky teeth.

You can ask for pre op bloodwork to be done, it will check her kidney and liver function which is important when it comes to anaesthesia.

Advertisement