Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spill from truck leads to collisions in Cork

• 22-02-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0222/kinsale.html

Gardaí believe they have tracked down the driver of a truck from which hundreds of gallons of animal fat spilled, causing a number of minor collisions and traffic disruption in Cork city and county.
    The truck travelled a journey of around 300km overnight from Mayo to Kinsale in Co Cork, but it is not known at this stage if there were further spills along the way.
    Gardaí in Cork began to get calls about the spill from around 7.45am.
    The busy junction between the Mallow Road and the North Ring Road in the city had to be partially closed during rush hour as the spill was treated there.
    South of the city, there were five minor collisions between the Kinsale Road Roundabout and Fivemilebridge, a distance of around 6km.
    Working on a partial registration number gleaned from CCTV cameras, gardaí tracked down the truck and its driver to Limerick as they were on their return journey.
    The driver may now face criminal charges, as well as a bill from the insurance companies representing those involved in the collisions along the truck's route.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This and diesel spills are simply unacceptable. It is totally antisocial to allow something to spill from a car or truck which compromises other road users.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

This and diesel spills are simply unacceptable. It is totally antisocial to allow something to spill from a car or truck which compromises other road users.

'cptr

Agreed! It's a f**king disgrace!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

I Agree that its unacceptable....but in fairness, driving a lorry, or truck, or any vehicle for that matter, how many times are ya gonna jump out to make sure somethings leaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I Agree that its unacceptable....but in fairness, driving a lorry, or truck, or any vehicle for that matter, how many times are ya gonna jump out to make sure somethings leaking?

Your under a duty to ensure nothing is capable of leaking. Ignorance is not a defense negligence.

Fluid containers dont just randomly spill their contents on the road. Someone is obviously to blame.

Oh I know, and if checks were carried out beforehand and something showed up that shouldnt have and he drove anyway, then work away on him. But They said he came from limerick but yet only spillage in cork. A leak has to START sometime is what im saying. Just be unlucky if it started half way through his journey and now hes gonna be burned at the stake. Im too soft, hang draw and quarter him! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My last fall from a bike was due to a huge oil slick at the main junction in Blanchardstown, D15. Slowing down at the lights and the bike went from under me. I could barely stand up it was so slippery. My sciatic nerve in my left leg if permanently damaged now, and I can't walk long distances any more.

Further up the road, I seen smaller pools of oil. It seems a car/truck etc was leaking oil and it accumulated in one spot when they stopped at the lights.

As far as I'm concerned, this should be a serious offence and should result in 4-6 points on your license.

My last fall from a bike was due to a huge oil slick at the main junction in Blanchardstown, D15. Slowing down at the lights and the bike went from under me. I could barely stand up it was so slippery. My sciatic nerve in my left leg if permanently damaged now, and I can't walk long distances any more.

Further up the road, I seen smaller pools of oil. It seems a car/truck etc was leaking oil and it accumulated in one spot when they stopped at the lights.

As far as I'm concerned, this should be a serious offence and should result in 4-6 points on your license.

Something like that changes my opinion leaps and bounds! Hope you're still up on the bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Gardaí believe they have tracked down the driver of a truck from which hundreds of gallons of animal fat spilled, causing a number of minor collisions and traffic disruption in Cork city and county.
    The truck travelled a journey of around 300km overnight from Mayo to Kinsale in Co Cork, but it is not known at this stage if there were further spills along the way.
    The busy junction between the Mallow Road and the North Ring Road in the city had to be partially closed during rush hour as the spill was treated there.
    South of the city, there were five minor collisions between the Kinsale Road Roundabout and Fivemilebridge, a distance of around 6km.
    Working on a partial registration number gleaned from CCTV cameras, gardaí tracked down the truck and its driver to Limerick as they were on their return journey.
    The driver may now face criminal charges, as well as a bill from the insurance companies representing those involved in the collisions along the truck's route.
    . But They said he came from limerick but yet only spillage in cork.

They only got reports from Cork, they don't know where it started.
    .A leak has to START sometime is what im saying. Just be unlucky if it started half way through his journey and now hes gonna be burned at the stake. Im too soft, hang draw and quarter him! :P
    It doesn't matter as it's always the drivers fault, the driver may be able to lay some blame on the loader. But at the end of the day the driver is responsible for their load and anything that comes off it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter as it's always the drivers fault, the driver may be able to lay some blame on the loader. But at the end of the day the driver is responsible for their load and anything that comes off it.

The driver will be responsible only as long as negligence from another party cannot be proven. If someone else was negligent and that can be proven then the driver will not be responsible.

At the end of the day some scumbag could have turned a tap or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Massive spill all down the Nangor road yesterday evening, probably diesel. I was driving down the road and could see it completely covering an entire lane. There were guys out with brushes and detergent in spots trying to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Minor collisions my backside, a work colleague ended up rolling his car between 5 mile and the airport rounabout with it coming to a stop in a dike waist deep in mud, he came away with a bruised chest and stiff lower back.

Disgraceful stuff.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Minor collisions my backside, a work colleague ended up rolling his car between 5 mile and the airport rounabout with it coming to a stop in a dike waist deep in mud, he came away with a bruised chest and stiff lower back.

Disgraceful stuff.

1800 INJURY LAWYERS 4 U

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bd1991

Cpoh1
    is your work colleague ok? i passed a white car overturned in the ditch around 8.20 with the lights still on. I was too scared to go over. tried stopping a few cars but everyone acted as if they didnt see me. Rang emergency services to be told they were aware of a crash near riverstick to which i already passed and couldnt understand i was trying to tell them id come accross another one! anyway glad to hear he only sustained minor injurys

Advertisement