Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the "48 Months" contract = Ageism?

• 22-02-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

So the other day I was talking to some people who were talking about a new mobile contract that is Free calls & Texts to any network any time and its €10 per month. The contract does last 4 years but for unlimited calls and texts to any network any time I figured it was a great deal. Then I found out it was restricted to ages 18-22... Seriously?

http://www.48months.ie/

So this got me thinking, is this discrimination? Is this even legal?
    I understand a company targeting an age group or marketing for a niche group of people, but refusing to allow anyone who is not a certain age not to purchase your product...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

restricted or aimed at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This is worse than that transphobic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

As far as I know they have no way of enforce this restriction so it could just be aimed at that age group. Probably something to do with advertising towards young people via text (i.e nightclub offers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

The only benefit of this would being on the same network as your mates as you get the text/call for free etc, no?

Why would a grown man or woman want to text a bunch of 18 year olds?

Besides, every network offers the same pretty kind of deals for free calls etc.

In short. Who fcukin' cares? It's a business model. Just let them have their network for 18-22 year old's if that is, in fact, what they want/have going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I suppose it does, though I'm guessing they checked to make sure they weren't breaking any discrimination laws beforehand.

Regardless, their big mistake is in their advertising: twenty-something, beautiful Americans enjoying a glamorous, decadent party.
    I don't see how they think young Irish people are supposed to relate to or aspire to that (we don't really do aspirational).

They'd be much better off with an ad with young lads in check shirts queuing up outside Coppers on a wet Tuesday night as some girls totter past on high heels and in short skirts, with a guy round the corner vomiting over his bottle of buckfast before taking another swig, and a couple down an alley shagging each other beside a bin.
    "I met my boyfriend that night. It lasted till 11am the next day, and he got me a curry cheese chip and we used the condom from his Freshers' Welcome Pack."

"It's the best 48 months of your life."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Bad Panda wrote: »

seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Liam Neeson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

we are 48, the new phone network only for those aged 18 to 22.

Seems to be what they're saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bad Panda wrote: »
    The only benefit of this would being on the same network as your mates as you get the text/call for free etc, no?

Besides, every network offers the same pretty kind of deals for free calls etc.

In short. Who fcukin' cares? It's a business model. Just let them have their network for 18-22 year old's if that is, in fact, what they want/have going.

Eh.....no reason at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's tons of threads on this already. Please use one of the existing threads in various boards forums.
    48months must be laughing all the way to the bank with all the free advertising they get.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement