Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator hot only at the bottom..

• 22-02-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

..and it's to do with air that needs bleeding since nothing comes out of the bleed valve even if you remove the screw completely.

The (in-laws) rad was moved recently from another wall in the (upstairs) bedroom by a plumber. The thermostatic valve on one end seems to operate okay (I removed the head and the plunger-pin can be pressed down easily). And the plain valve at the other end is open and appears in good condition.

The system is gravity fed from the attic, no valves appear shut that I can see yet no water appears from the bleed hole.

Is there any other cause for the likes of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Is there water in the smaller tank in your attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 robbyrne22

I'm not a plumber, but I've done a lot of stuff around the house with the heating, adding new rads and the like.

I'd check the other rads, see what happens when you try bleed them. It does sound like one of the valves is shut. Only other thing I can think of is turn all the other rads on the system off, turn on the heating so only that rad gets all the attention then try bleed it again.

Could also be a bit of grit in the valve blocking it, so, when the heating is on, give the valves at each end a strong tap with a spanner or whatever and it might dislodge it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Might also check that the bleeding screw hole isn't blocked.

Advertisement