Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are poets and novels different for every school?

• 22-02-2012 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

This is about the English and possibly Irish subjects.

Basically I'm almost 20, left school a few years ago, never done 5th year, yet want to do the Leaving Cert next year so I need to know what material the current 5th years are using to get study in before September so I won't be approaching 6th year totally clueless. I often hear poets and novels change every year for the Leaving Cert, does the Department of Education issue the same ones for every school or would I have to contact the school I am seeking to enroll with to know what they're doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

They all do the same stuff - theres a big list of poets and every year, 8 are chosen for the leaving cert in two years. Few people do all 8 though.

The comparative list does change too I think, but I'm not sure. Every teacher does different ones so really, you'd be better waiting til you go back to approach that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Shaun.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    They all do the same stuff - theres a big list of poets and every year, 8 are chosen for the leaving cert in two years. Few people do all 8 though.

The comparative list does change too I think, but I'm not sure. Every teacher does different ones so really, you'd be better waiting til you go back to approach that

Do the current 5th years know the comprehensive list of poets they will be studying for LC 2013 now? And are the novels the same for every school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Shaun. wrote: »
    Do the current 5th years know the comprehensive list of poets they will be studying for LC 2013 now? And are the novels the same for every school?
    Yep. I'm in 6th year so mine are different, but I know the 5th years have half of ours - Seamus Heaney, Sylvia Plath, Thomas Kinsella and Adrienne Rich - and they also have Shakespeare, Elizabeth Bishop and Derek Mahon. I'm not sure who the 8th is though.

The list of novels is the same for everyone but the teachers pick them; every class in my year has different ones. You also have to study a Shakespearean text, almost everyone does it as their single text but if not, it has to be in the comparatives, you should find that out too :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Shaun. wrote: »

Yes. The curriculum is dictated by the department of education every year. It's not like the junior cert where each teacher decides what to give the class to learn.

If you click here you will find a list of ALL the syllabus for every subject offered at leaving cert (including the texts you will need for 2013 or 2014 depending on when you hope to sit the exams).

Best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Shaun.

Thanks very much, both of you. Would use the thanks button but I seemingly don't have one yet. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement