Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring road roadworks-Pointless?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

What's going on with the ring road. Apart from spending lots of money replacing signs that are only about 4 years old (see new part of ring road) what exactly are the council doing?
    I'm no engineer but the most pressing need is/was to upgrade and properly widen the Waterford, Kells and Callan rd roundabouts to an exceptable, modern and wide standard ala the old Carlow road and Bennetsbridge road ones. Allowing freer flow of traffic. This does not appear to be happening. They seem to be putting in some kind of pointless kerbing between the Kells and Callan rd roundabouts also. Why? To make it narrower and less safe?
    I'm I the only one that finds this a major disappointment? I take they are not widening the roundabaouts at this stage?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think they're having a general sprucing up before it looks bad, prevention is better than cure kind of thing. Here's a link from coco site.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

On a related note... please tell me they are not setting the speed-limit on the Danesfort road to 50kmh permenantly, that's just for the road works...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

It seems to me that they are heightening the signs which I think will make approaching roundabouts much safer as the current signs block your view of traffic approaching from the right causing many motorists to edge out into traffic they should be yeilding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The frames on which the signs are mounted have a different design, I think its a safer job. Also are they making two lane roundabouts at the Kells roadand Waterford roundabout or are they just laying pipes or a bit of both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

mfitzy wrote: »
    What's going on with the ring road. Apart from spending lots of money replacing signs that are only about 4 years old (see new part of ring road) what exactly are the council doing?
    I'm no engineer but the most pressing need is/was to upgrade and properly widen the Waterford, Kells and Callan rd roundabouts to an exceptable, modern and wide standard ala the old Carlow road and Bennetsbridge road ones. Allowing freer flow of traffic. This does not appear to be happening. They seem to be putting in some kind of pointless kerbing between the Kells and Callan rd roundabouts also. Why? To make it narrower and less safe?
    I'm I the only one that finds this a major disappointment? I take they are not widening the roundabaouts at this stage?

They have widened the road between the Waterford rd roundabout and the callan rd roundabout so thats a good thing and supposedly they are meant to be making the roundabouts better.....whatever that means:confused: im sure they have a budget they need to spend......altho a footpath between the roundabouts from the callan road to the watershed would be a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

rayc wrote: »
    On a related note... please tell me they are not setting the speed-limit on the Danesfort road to 50kmh permenantly, that's just for the road works...right?

Thats an insane speed limit, you can drive at least 80km on it, I hope its just for the road works too

On another note I was driving on that road one evening last week and there were two rows of traffic heading towards Waterford on the same side
    :eek: Didnt think the road was that wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Plug wrote: »
    The frames on which the signs are mounted have a different design, I think its a safer job. Also are they making two lane roundabouts at the Kells roadand Waterford roundabout or are they just laying pipes or a bit of both?

I'd say the'll start by digging up a perfectly good road to replace it with a newer perfectly good road,then in April they'll dig that up to lay the pipes.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Then leave it completely over the summer when traffic is quiet enough and daylight is @ max and then 1st week in September when the kids are back in school there will be contra-flows and temporary traffic lights and whatever you're having yourself to take you up near Christmas. Then dig up that surface in February and put it down properly this time, maybe.
    When the almost-a-ring road is "done", then it's time to build a pointless new link road...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ta daaa:
    kkcoco wrote:
    ………………………………and more to come in 2012 including:-

Resurfacing of Callan Road and Ring Road between Callan Road roundabout and Waterford Road roundabout. The work will include new footpaths/cycle track between these two roundabouts on the city side.
    Construction of new footpath and cycle track on the Ring Road between the Watershed and the Waterford Road roundabout. On completion, there will be a continuous footpath and cycle track over 7km long between the Callan Road roundabout and the roundabout on the Castlecomer Road.
    Provision of bus stop shelters and seating at key locations in the City including the provision of high level kerbing.
    Resurfacing of the N10 Waterford Road from Springhill to Danesfort Cross.
    Public realm improvements to High Street and Patrick Street as a priority.
    Advance the planning and design of the Pedestrian Bridge at Bateman Quay/Carnegie Library as the final component of the ‘Quay Link’ pedestrian/cycle way connecting the City Centre to the Railway Station.
    Footpath improvements at Ormonde Road . Wolfe Tone Street , Kells Road , Vicar St. Greensbridge St and Bateman Quay .
    Car Park Improvements at Fairgreen , Dean St and Market Yard including the provision of bicycle parking.
    Advancement of ‘Park and Stride’ concept whereby cars are parked on the periphery and the occupants stride or cycle onwards .
    Promotion of Walking Bus for primary school parents .

ta daaa:
    That is good news, pity it will take 10 years to complete.
    Have they an official date put down on when they will start the inner city relief road?

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    ta daaa:
    Have they an official date put down on when they will start the inner city relief road?

1998? Seriously though, I saw something about having a meeting about finalising the plans before the end of year, which is still very vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Hate to be seen spending money on something useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

"Advance the planning and design of the Pedestrian Bridge at Bateman Quay/Carnegie Library as the final component of the ‘Quay Link’ pedestrian/cycle way connecting the City Centre to the Railway Station"

This is the first I've heard of the "Quay link",will it run parallel to John St,is there a map?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Not entirely related but didn't want to start a new thread for it, does anyone know whats being built across from foulkstown church? Looks to be a decent size development.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sky King wrote: »
    I'd say the'll start by digging up a perfectly good road to replace it with a newer perfectly good road,then in April they'll dig that up to lay the pipes.

It's KK county council...so, yes...give it 6 months max :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fair enough guys, I take your point re the new surfaces and new signage being safer and easier read (but some of them are only up a couple of years or less since the motorway opened). The ring road is scarely open 4 years. Would the new signs not have been envisaged then? Couldn't imagine a private company being so shortsighted and throw around cash so easily ;).

Also are the roundabouts being widened with filter lanes at all? Don't appear to be at the mo. To me, the project is pretty pointless without those additions. The ones they have done in recent years are a joy to use and means you can easily overtake slowcoaches/people who haven't a breeze as to how to use them properly.

AMG has put up a few facebook posts this morning relating to road plans.

1. Resurfacing of the whole of Hebron road from MacDonagh to the ring road. Plan is to include a pedestrian crossing from O'Loughlins GAA club to the new Aldi.

2. Before the end of the summer, Newpark drive is to be widened and resurfaced with a dangerous bit of footpath removed.General footpath improvement to be done also.

3. College road, remove a number of build-outs retaining the cycle way inbound. Remove the parking opposite Kierans and have an on road cycle lane with flow. Traffic calming: islands. Pedestrian crossing and enhance drop-off points.

4. Supervalu Loughboy, move the current entrance and put a new roundabout there. A separate entrance for St. Fiacre's. A bit of messing with the paths and cycle tracks. A bit of shrubbery (I always like a bit of shrubbery, looks well).

1. Resurfacing of the whole of Hebron road from MacDonagh to the ring road. Plan is to include a pedestrian crossing from O'Loughlins GAA club to the new Aldi.

2. Before the end of the summer, Newpark drive is to be widened and resurfaced with a dangerous bit of footpath removed.General footpath improvement to be done also.

3. College road, remove a number of build-outs retaining the cycle way inbound. Remove the parking opposite Kierans and have an on road cycle lane with flow. Traffic calming: islands. Pedestrian crossing and enhance drop-off points.

4. Supervalu Loughboy, move the current entrance and put a new roundabout there. A separate entrance for St. Fiacre's. A bit of messing with the paths and cycle tracks. A bit of shrubbery (I always like a bit of shrubbery, looks well).
    1, 3, 4 are good especially the College road one. Don't know what exactly they mean by the Newpark one as Im not to aware of that area too much.

It's erm, this section of path you can see them redesigning back in July 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Are they referring to removing the things this thread was discussing? Sure, they only just put them there. :confused:

• Advertisement

Are they referring to removing the things this thread was discussing? Sure, they only just put them there. :confused:

Sounds that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sounds that way.

Fuck them and their household charge so!! Tossers wasting public money right, left and centre. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Fecking rediculous :mad:

Thank god something is being done about that place. Disaster trying to get in and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

4. Supervalu Loughboy, move the current entrance and put a new roundabout there.

On that Bortharnatourish road in the last couple of years has seen Lidl, Aldi and the Watershed and it also services The Presentation, Gael school, Canices church and Supervalue, it's about time they did something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They could stop cars parking outside the church aswell;).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kells Road roundabout is starting to look well now, i'm not a fan of the high kerbs though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

What is a walking bus? Presume bus shelters in where? Looks cool, what about completing the ring road? Foxy

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Walking "bus" is kids walking to school in an accompanied group as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I have got to the stage that I am thinking of asking someone to walk in front of the car with a red flag as the speed limits are ridiculous.
    Cycling on the ring road must be a nightmare as is the Callan Road, i wouldn't cycle to Castleinch.
    I suppose the city cycle lanes are an incentive to get cyclists to risk everything just getting there
    Love the coco.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have got to the stage that I am thinking of asking someone to walk in front of the car with a red flag as the speed limits are ridiculous.
    Cycling on the ring road must be a nightmare as is the Callan Road, i wouldn't cycle to Castleinch.
    I suppose the city cycle lanes are an incentive to get cyclists to risk everything just getting there
    Love the coco.

Cycling in a city isn't as dangerous as it seems, used to cycle to work in Waterford for over 7 years and that has all the fun of the Quays.

Once you know your proper road positioning and get yourself into the lane properly so they can't try overtake you if your taking the 3rd exit then its not all that bad :)

As much as why I see why they are putting in cycle lanes I just don't like them myself as I'd rather not end up cycling into a person walking their dog

Advertisement