Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring road roadworks-Pointless?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I haven't cycled in a long time,but when I did I was always told to use the same rules of the road as vehicles,How do you do that if some of your journey is on the footpath?
    I have noticed some cycle lanes have yield signs at junctions and entrances but padestrians and vehicles would have right of way.
    Is there now a special rule book for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Footpath improvements on ormonde road halted due to archaeological find...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

But concreting over it will preserve it for future generations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Just a quick point, how much is Tesco going to pay? The ring road not the footpath?
    Rumour has it they are going to do some work on the Callan by pass, do you need a cycle lane, if so, get your word in quickly, with the amount of walker's it will be a sharing facility.
    Looking at the road junction markings they are perhaps a little dodgy.
    Naturally we ave coucillor's on hand to sort such things out, em eve asfor a park and walk around the abbey?
    Good luck cycling foxy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hard shoulders are for pedestrians and cyclists so I think that would be a phenominal waste of money

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    But concreting over it will preserve it for future generations!

Cobble lock is to go down ....not concrete:)

Some cyclists don't even use the hard shoulder..they'd be out in the middle of the road..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Cobble lock is to go down ....not concrete:)

Some cyclists don't even use the hard shoulder..they'd be out in the middle of the road..

Blow your horn at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

as if the ring road traffic isnt bad enough at the best of times during the roadworks(originally meant to be completed by the end of april and now its been extended til the end of june,they must have good estimators) , the council have to come along and block off one lane at the roundabouts to plant flowers etc do they really need to start at half seven in the morning when people are trying to get to work??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Does anyone know if they are building a footpath from the Callan Rd to Waterford rd section, they seem to be finished but there is still no path.
    Not only that but the hard shoulder disappears at the Kells rd roundabout to make way for two lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

think the footpath is only going from waterford road roundabout to the bohernatounish (loughboy) one.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

How long before they dig up part of that footpath/cycle lane to install a roundabout at the Retail Park (Woodies etc.) entrance or will they build that into the design? Are they going to construct a roundabout there now (doesn't say so in the earlier quote)? Place your bets...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

and on the same subject but different place, whats with the new posts lining the college road? maybe this was questioned somewhere else but the cycle and walking lane is shared on the footpath and its very dangerous if u have to back out of your house in a car. If a bike speeds past and collides with a driver.

Its a pathetic idea!!!!! who ever thought of it, someone will be killed!!!!:mad:

rustopher wrote: »
    and on the same subject but different place, whats with the new posts lining the college road? maybe this was questioned somewhere else but the cycle and walking lane is shared on the footpath and its very dangerous if u have to back out of your house in a car. If a bike speeds past and collides with a driver.

Its a pathetic idea!!!!! who ever thought of it, someone will be killed!!!!:mad:

Afaik there are plans to put the cycle lane on the other side of the road..on the road...thereby cutting parking down by half!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

think the footpath is only going from waterford road roundabout to the bohernatounish (loughboy) one.

Was well needed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

People should email Phil Hogns office or email FG. All the emails are on the net on the FG website.

I think big Phil has allowed the County council approve these works to use the budgets so the balance sheets look like the council has been very busy in order to justify the jobs of all.

IMO nothing short of disgusting why, if they kept their budgets to a minimum then we wouldn't have all these extra charges to our wages. Now they want to reduce SW because they need to reduce public spending - if they didn't use the money on pointless road works then they would have a lot more money.

Here is Leo Varadkar email he seems to be only making any sense a at the moment and is minister for transport. minister@dttas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

femur61 wrote: »
    People should email Phil Hogns office or email FG. All the emails are on the net on the FG website.

I think big Phil has allowed the County council approve these works to use the budgets so the balance sheets look like the council has been very busy in order to justify the jobs of all.

IMO nothing short of disgusting why, if they kept their budgets to a minimum then we wouldn't have all these extra charges to our wages. Now they want to reduce SW because they need to reduce public spending - if they didn't use the money on pointless road works then they would have a lot more money.

Here is Leo Varadkar email he seems to be only making any sense a at the moment and is minister for transport. minister@dttas.ie

Do they not have to use up the budgets or else they get cut even more the following year,

i reckon some of the callan road roundabout is going to be next to be tore up as the new tarmac is not finished there so it will still be ongoing by xmas with the slow speed they are doing it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They dug up and resurfaced the hebron road recently for some unknown reason.

It looked alright to me.

Really like the new surface on the ring road, it used to be like riding on Belgian cobbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Just on a more positive note for a change in the thread, I think all the flowers that have been put in around the town and on the roundabouts are delightful - they really brighten up the place.

Only noticed them this morning maybe they are in a while though.

• Advertisement

See they are at it again....Ossary bridge this time. Something about joints have to be added back in or something. Bollards down the middle and sides of the N10!

Sky King wrote: »
    They dug up and resurfaced the hebron road recently for some unknown reason.

It looked alright to me.

And left a big lump on the left hand side of the road outside O'Loughlins...only moved it there recently.

Advertisement