Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security options in an Apartment

Options
  • 22-02-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice here ...

With the increase in burglaries recently, I've become more aware of the security requirements in my apartment as I live on the ground floor. There is a key pad on the front door into the building with a not so secure code as far as I'm concerned but none the less, the door has a dead bolt on it that i always have locked. The bedroom windows are at the front of the building and have a standard mulit point locking system. It's the back that concerns me. There is a small wall surrounding my patio area but it's in a corner so quite secluded. There's a door (large Window) and window both with Multi Point locking (and both opening inwards if that makes a difference). But that's it. I'd like to get something extra for the back door/window. can anyone recommend anything ??

Thanks in advance

A

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And does your apartment have an alarm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice here ...

With the increase in burglaries recently, I've become more aware of the security requirements in my apartment as I live on the ground floor. There is a key pad on the front door into the building with a not so secure code as far as I'm concerned but none the less, the door has a dead bolt on it that i always have locked. The bedroom windows are at the front of the building and have a standard mulit point locking system. It's the back that concerns me. There is a small wall surrounding my patio area but it's in a corner so quite secluded. There's a door (large Window) and window both with Multi Point locking (and both opening inwards if that makes a difference). But that's it. I'd like to get something extra for the back door/window. can anyone recommend anything ??

Thanks in advance

A

Not much really, a perimeter alarm system protecting windows and doors and some PIRs installed. I have seen people install a grid on the inside of the window. Not the route I would fancy but it is an extra deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

No I don't have an alarm and I have a feeling that I can't get an alarm that it was in the T&C's when I bought it but I could check.

Altor, can you explain what a PIR is - I'm clueless I'm afraid :-)

Thanks

A

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There may be conditions on putting up an external bell. But I can't see why there world be conditions against installing an alarm

No I don't have an alarm and I have a feeling that I can't get an alarm that it was in the T&C's when I bought it but I could check.

Altor, can you explain what a PIR is - I'm clueless I'm afraid :-)

Thanks

A

Are they are providing 24 hours security patrolling the area?
    Alarm systems of today turn off after 15 minutes so annoying the neighbours in an apartment is going to be kept to a minimum if you where to have false alarms. If they did not want an external bell installed then there is no reason to stop you protecting your premises inside. If you have a phone and the system is connected to it to alert you of a breaking than that is better than nothing.

A PIR is a passive infra red detector, wikipedia explains it as good as anyone :D

• Advertisement

If there is a restriction on external bells there are internal SABs

I cant understand how they can tell a resident not to install an alarm to protect there premises. I wonder would they have to provide some sort of security patrolling the area in this case?

I have never come across that. The ban on external bells yes!

Me either, maybe the OP has taken it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

How about having am internal grid made for the window,but having it so it is only literally held in place by weak attachment,so that in case of fire you can literally pull it off. I know it's not secure,but if a potential burglar saw it through window,they would avoid going in that window and look for easier pickings?

• Advertisement

venetian blinds and lots of ornaments on the window sill. Thats a burglars nightmare.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback ...

I think perhaps I did take it up wrong - Maybe it's the ban on external bells I'm thinking about. I'll check it out with the management company.

I'm heading away soon for a couple of weeks and while I do have someone to turn on lights and open and close the curtains, I would like a few more locks on the windows and doors.

It seems the local kids cracked the very sophisticated code on the main door over the weekend too, so I need to speak to the management co about that too.

Thanks again for the feedback !

They really should be changing the codes regularly or else issuing individual codes to each person. That would quickly identify anyone passing the code around.

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback ...

I think perhaps I did take it up wrong - Maybe it's the ban on external bells I'm thinking about. I'll check it out with the management company.

I'm heading away soon for a couple of weeks and while I do have someone to turn on lights and open and close the curtains, I would like a few more locks on the windows and doors.

It seems the local kids cracked the very sophisticated code on the main door over the weekend too, so I need to speak to the management co about that too.

Thanks again for the feedback !

No harm getting anti snap locks fitted on the doors, the older cylinders can be easily tampered with to gain access.

Advertisement