Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballs Next Star

• 22-02-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/trte/pages/page1516563.html

Seriously :pac:

you must not currently or at any time during the Competition:

(a) be contracted to any association football club either in Ireland or elsewhere whether as a player or otherwise;

(b) be subject to a pre-registration agreement with any association football club either in Ireland or elsewhere.

Should be great craic for the Junior clubs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

RTÉ is looking for Football's Next Star. We’ve teamed up with one of Europe’s biggest clubs, Celtic FC and together are on the hunt for one Irish boy, with not only a passion for football but an exceptional talent, who will win a dream place in Celtic’s Youth Academy and train with one of Europe’s most successful teams.
    So who will they be training with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RTÉ is looking for Football's Next Star. We’ve teamed up with one of Europe’s biggest clubs, Celtic FC and together are on the hunt for one Irish boy, with not only a passion for football but an exceptional talent, who will win a dream place in Celtic’s Youth Academy and train with one of Europe’s most successful teams.
    So who will they be training with?
    Jesus Christ, they couldn't do better than Celtic? This is going to be a hit no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I wonder are players from the LOI U19 league allowed to enter this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I wonder are players from the LOI U19 league allowed to enter this?

Aimed at players born in 95 so 16/17 year olds.

Cos all the good ones aint signed to a team.

The English one died after a junior club sued for money on one of the winners. reckon it be the same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I suppose shipping over our best players as early as possible is a far better solution to football in this country.
    It's not creating links with LOI clubs who will then give them first team football, when ready, they can stay at home with their families and they can stay in Ireland and get education and at a reasonable age (eg. James McLean, Keith Fahey, Stephen Ward etc) they do go abroad and the clubs who developed him get a fair fee.
    This way the league improves, the schoolboy football improves and overall football in this country improves. But I suppose it wouldn't make good TV.

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    I suppose shipping over our best players as early as possible is a far better solution to football in this country.
    It's not creating links with LOI clubs who will then give them first team football, when ready, they can stay at home with their families and they can stay in Ireland and get education and at a reasonable age (eg. James McLean, Keith Fahey, Stephen Ward etc) they do go abroad and the clubs who developed him get a fair fee.
    This way the league improves, the schoolboy football improves and overall football in this country improves. But I suppose it wouldn't make good TV.
    Well that's RTE for you. Just look at The Voice. America gets Ceelo Green, Christina Aguilera and the lad from Maroon 5.. We get Brian Kennedy, some lad I've never heard of and the members of the Corrs and Westlife who nobody cares about.

Britain gets Chelsea and Inter, we get feckin Celtic. RTE needs to start making original TV rather than pumping out cringy minnow ripoff versions of successful shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Celtic haters will be out in force over this of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Celtic haters will be out in force over this of course

Just like Rangers haters in other forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Celtic youth academy have access to world class facilities, have consistently produced senior international players and participate in the nextgen series, europe's elite u19 competition.

Anyways, dont let that get in the way of your anti Celtic agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's genius television in all fairness. Most kids would love an opportunity to play with Celtic and be signed by them. I reckon it'll be a hit, not that I'll be watching though.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Celtic youth academy have access to world class facilities, have consistently produced senior international players and participate in the nextgen series, europe's elite u19 competition.

Didnt notice any anti celtic agenda.

How many celtic 1st teamers are from the academy? Always assumed Celtic just bought the best from the rest of the league.

Please list the 10 top products of the Celtic academy since 2000, so I am able to re-examine my opinion and possibly have to admit I was wrong.

says it all that they have World Class Facilities and yet no World Class players have been produced lately.

says it all that they have World Class Facilities and yet no World Class players have been produced lately.
    A quick wiki says that the only 2 real first-teamers that came through the youths were Mulgrew and Forrest (2 of the better players admittedly), McGeady also immediately jumps to mind. Who else?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Didnt notice any anti celtic agenda.

How many celtic 1st teamers are from the academy? Always assumed Celtic just bought the best from the rest of the league.

CSF's post was critical of Celtic despite what the academy can offer a footballer.

Mulgrew, McGeouch, Forrest & Twardzik

6 academy players are out on loan at the moment.

CSF wrote: »
    A quick wiki says that the only 2 real first-teamers that came through the youths were Mulgrew and Forrest (2 of the better players admittedly), McGeady also immediately jumps to mind. Who else?

Dylan McGeouch is another off top my head he is only 19-20.

Please list the 10 top products of the Celtic academy since 2000, so I am able to re-examine my opinion and possibly have to admit I was wrong.

Look at ye go!!! Pathetic tbh

CSF's post was critical of Celtic despite what the academy can offer a footballer.

Mulgrew, McGeouch, Forrest & Twardzik

6 academy players are out on loan at the moment.
    I'm not asking whether youth players exist at Celtic. They exist at every club. Even my club, Shelbourne, provided the leagues with Stokes, Deegan, Hoolahan in this century.

I'm asking for evidence of players coming through the ranks at Celtic and making it as a top SPL star, or more relevantly to a TV show, more like McGeady who have moved onto bigger things.

What is pathetic about presenting facts and asking for more facts that I may not know about? If they exist, and I'm wrong, present it as such, and I'll have no problem admitting as much.

Even my club, Shelbourne, provided the leagues with Stokes,

Cherry Orchard ?

Which would be my point, this show will steal their players and the clubs will lose out.

• Advertisement

I'm not asking whether youth players exist at Celtic. They exist at every club. Even my club, Shelbourne, provided the leagues with Stokes, Deegan, Hoolahan in this century.

I'm asking for evidence of players coming through the ranks at Celtic and making it as a top SPL star, or more relevantly to a TV show, more like McGeady who have moved onto bigger things.

There is plenty of players that have moved on from the celtic youth academy to become senior international players. The transition from Celtic youth player to Celtic 1st team is a problem imo, very hard to break in as Celtic demand result not transitional periods. Most move on to get 1st team football.

Cherry Orchard ?

Which would be my point, this show will steal their players and the clubs will lose out.
    Stokes was with us between 14 and 16 before moving on to Arsenal. Whether he was with Cherry Orchard before that or not, does not negate my point.
    There is plenty of players that have moved on from the celtic youth academy to become senior international players. The transition from Celtic youth player to Celtic 1st team is a problem imo, very hard to break in as Celtic demand result not transitional periods. Most move on to get 1st team football.
    Can you name some of these players?

:confused:

seems to be you can't prove what you said and now having pop at us.

Stokes was with us between 14 and 16 before moving on to Arsenal. Whether he was with Cherry Orchard before that or not, does not negate my point.

Can you name some of these players?

There is a list here but it only goes back to 1998
    :confused:

seems to be you can't prove what you said and now having pop at us.

I dont have to prove anything, its there for you to google if you are bothered but you just want someone else to spoon-feed you

To go back to your world class facilites but now world class players jibe. Lennoxtown is only open 5 years, it is a world class facility. Forrest was named on the FIFA list for 2012. McGeady was produced before we had Lennoxtown like alot of players that will be on that list linked above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

ntfns.jpg

There is a list here but it only goes back to 1998

I dont have to prove anything, its there for you to google if you are bothered but you just want someone else to spoon-feed you

To go back to your world class facilites but now world class players jibe. Lennoxtown is only open 5 years, it is a world class facility. Forrest was named on the FIFA list for 2012. McGeady was produced before we had Lennoxtown like alot of players that will be on that list linked above.
    I'm sure you know how bad that list is, as much as I do. Hence why you aren't plucking names from it to tell me how wrong I am. This is what kids are supposed to be trying to emulate?

I'm sure you know how bad that list is, as much as I do. Hence why you aren't plucking names from it to tell me how wrong I am. This is what kids are supposed to be trying to emulate?

The best players Celtic ever produced were before academies existed!

As said it only in the last 5-7 years that Celtic have really invested in facilities and this year was the 1st nextgen competition. Going forward, Celtic's youth academy is in a better position than most for youth development.

The best players Celtic ever produced were before academies existed!

As said it only in the last 5-7 years that Celtic have really invested in facilities and this year was the 1st nextgen competition. Going forward, Celtic's youth academy is in a better position than most for youth development.
    I'm not saying Celtic never produced good players. They won a European Cup in an era when spending megabucks on the best the world has to offer. Nor am I saying Celtic will never produce good players again.

I'm simply countering some of the points you've made, which you haven't seem to have provided a counter for other than a list that we both know is poor at best. So scoffing at me and calling what I was saying pathetic was hardly correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

you must not currently or at any time during the Competition:

(a) be contracted to any association football club either in Ireland or elsewhere whether as a player or otherwise;

(b) be subject to a pre-registration agreement with any association football club either in Ireland or elsewhere.

So either the player will have to leave the club they're currently with or not be attached to a club to begin with, therefore sucking talent out of the clubs. Yeh this is really good for football in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Kenny Dalglish

hefferboi wrote: »
    Kenny Dalglish
    In 1969.

dan1895 wrote: »
    So either the player will have to leave the club they're currently with or not be attached to a club to begin with, therefore sucking talent out of the clubs. Yeh this is really good for football in this country.

Is that what that means? I thought it was just professional clubs. Having it between March and April is fcuking retarded. June, July and August should be the months to have it. It's absolutely crazy which could lead to top schoolboy clubs losing their best players for the important bit to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If you look at a history of previous winners of the British version, the record has not been good. I think it's safe to say that no "star" will be unearthed.

Sam Hurrell - currently playing in the 4th tier of the US leagues (I didn't even know there was a 4th tier of US football).
    Carl Magnay - now 23 and can't even get a game for Gatehead according to Wikipedia.
    Ben Greenhalgh - just signed with Welling United to play on the Conference South.

As ridiculous as it sounds to write off kids at this age, the reality is that if a 16/17 year old isn't already at a club the chances are that they won't make it playing at a high level of football. I know there are exceptions (Drogba) but if you look at successful youth development (Barcelona, Clairefontaine, etc.), their kids are getting world class coaching at 12 years of age. Statistically speaking, the poor paddy who wins this contract doesn't have a chance as he is already miles behind other lads.

If you look at a history of previous winners of the British version, the record has not been good. I think it's safe to say that no "star" will be unearthed.

Sam Hurrell - currently playing in the 4th tier of the US leagues (I didn't even know there was a 4th tier of US football).
    Carl Magnay - now 23 and can't even get a game for Gatehead according to Wikipedia.
    Ben Greenhalgh - just signed with Welling United to play on the Conference South.

As ridiculous as it sounds to write off kids at this age, the reality is that if a 16/17 year old isn't already at a club the chances are that they won't make it playing at a high level of football. I know there are exceptions (Drogba) but if you look at successful youth development (Barcelona, Clairefontaine, etc.), their kids are getting world class coaching at 12 years of age. Statistically speaking, the poor paddy who wins this contract doesn't have a chance as he is already miles behind other lads.
    Pretty much.

Isn't Sam Hutchinson still at Chelsea? He won one of those didn't he?

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Isn't Sam Hutchinson still at Chelsea? He won one of those didn't he?
    You're thinking of Sam Hurrell. Sam Hutchinson is still at Chelsea but didn't win one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't worry, we won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Maybe these programs should be focusing on 8-10 year olds?
    Wouldnt be great tv though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Former Celtic youths : Shay Given,Colin Healy,Liam Miller,Cillian Sheridan and Shaun Maloney.

Former Celtic youths : Shay Given,Colin Healy,Liam Miller,Cillian Sheridan and Shaun Maloney.
    So.....Shay Given then. Almost 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Lennonxtown has only been open a few years. Producing world class players isn't exactly an easy thing to do. If it was then every club with a bit of money behind them would be building something like Lennoxtown. Any excuse for a go at Celtic though..

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Lennonxtown has only been open a few years. Producing world class players isn't exactly an easy thing to do. If it was then every club with a bit of money behind them would be building something like Lennoxtown. Any excuse for a go at Celtic though..

You seem to find it hard to distinguish between 2 separate things.

Not the first time either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You seem to find it hard to distinguish between 2 separate things.

Not the first time either....

What did I miss? Yourself and a few others are getting your usual digs in against Celtic. This time over a TV show.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What did I miss? Yourself and a few others are getting your usual digs in against Celtic. This time over a TV show.

Dig? just cause you put into question something that has been said does not mean your having a dig!

Ye really need to chill the hell out. God forbid if ye were in Rangers situation now.

dan1895 wrote: »

Cant leave a club tho, once your registered your stuck with them until end of season.

So this starting in Feb is a bit mad.

Cant leave a club tho, once your registered your stuck with them until end of season.

So this starting in Feb is a bit mad.
    Also for any player with a club, this would count as tapping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not so sure. I think this show is better suited in Ireland because not all kids over here are exposed to soccer. GAA takes precendence in a lot of areas in this country and you might have a kid who never really played much soccer who takes a chance on entering this.

In England almost every kid plays soccer at a young age and if they show any potential they are picked up by a club.

I'm not saying Celtic never produced good players. They won a European Cup in an era when spending megabucks on the best the world has to offer. Nor am I saying Celtic will never produce good players again.

I'm simply countering some of the points you've made, which you haven't seem to have provided a counter for other than a list that we both know is poor at best. So scoffing at me and calling what I was saying pathetic was hardly correct.

I said the academy produced senior international footballers on a consistent basis, that is absolutely correct. You having a go because they all werent top international footballers, ffs :rolleyes:

actually any idea where the Irish lads are from the UK version few years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

actually any idea where the Irish lads are from the UK version few years back?

Connor Smith is still with Watford but out on loan at Wealdstone.

Craig Walsh was with Shamrock Rovers but is now with Longford Town.

Gavin Colton appears to be with UCD.

That season was the only season I got to watch of that show!

• Advertisement
Advertisement