Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballs Next Star

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dempsey wrote: »
    I said the academy produced senior international footballers on a consistent basis, that is absolutely correct. You having a go because they all werent top international footballers, ffs :rolleyes:
    No, having a go because they were all crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

CSF wrote: »

It wasnt a definitive list or anything and I'd hazard a guess that a very high percentage of professional footballers never get a cap at senior level. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

With the greatest of respect, shut up.

You think the people trying out won't want to win the prize?

ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Rediculous argument going on here. Celtic's academy has a terrible turn over, its not a top european academy for developing players. Most LoI academies would have raised similar talent to whats been posted.

And if you know anything about youth football in this country it's that LoI academies come second to most. The likes of Crumlin United, Cherry Orchard and Belvo have a lot higher turn over of top players than the likes of Celtic.

OwlsZat wrote: »

ffs.
    Great post. Do you do journalism or something like that? Its just, you are so articulated, it would be a shame if the world didn't get to read what you have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Great post. Do you do journalism or something like that? Its just, you are so articulated, it would be a shame if the world didn't get to read what you have to say.

Ya I do journalism or something like that. Well articulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Originally Posted by OwlsZat

ffs.

We can't all have your amazing debating skills CSF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

CSF, Did Wes play for Shels youths? I always thouhght he played with Belvo but went to Shels for 1st team.

People saying Celtic isn't much of a prize, would you have turned down a contract from Celtic. In my opinion its more realistic a 16 year old going to Glasgow than Milan, granted I don't think the winner of this will.

Craig Smith and Walsh have played ROI U-19 and Carl Magnay NI U-21, winning an international cap must be great, and I'm sure the programmes aided these lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

THey didn't really. IMO Craig Walsh got worse once he went on that show. He thought he was big time when he really wasn't.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    We can't all have your amazing debating skills CSF!
    Thanks mate.
    paddy978 wrote: »
    CSF, Did Wes play for Shels youths? I always thouhght he played with Belvo but went to Shels for 1st team.

People saying Celtic isn't much of a prize, would you have turned down a contract from Celtic. In my opinion its more realistic a 16 year old going to Glasgow than Milan, granted I don't think the winner of this will.

Craig Smith and Walsh have played ROI U-19 and Carl Magnay NI U-21, winning an international cap must be great, and I'm sure the programmes aided these lads.
    Of course I wouldn't turn down a contract at Celtic. When I'm saying its not much of a prize, to use Who Wants To Be A Millionaire as an example, it is a bit like answering all 12 questions or whatever it is, and getting 20 grand. Sure, the money is handy, but ya know.

As for Weso, my understanding is that he didn't play for our schoolboys, but came to us at 17, (I think) so similar enough to many of the Arsenal youth products.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Ebbs wrote: »
    Rediculous argument going on here. Celtic's academy has a terrible turn over, its not a top european academy for developing players. Most LoI academies would have raised similar talent to whats been posted.

And if you know anything about youth football in this country it's that LoI academies come second to most. The likes of Crumlin United, Cherry Orchard and Belvo have a lot higher turn over of top players than the likes of Celtic.

There is a lot of truth in that and there is no denying that the Celtic academy has failed to produce the standard of player required to break into the Celtic first team or indeed move onto a bigger stage but the club has invested a lot of money recently in upgrading their training facilities, numbers and standard of their coaches and also their scouting of young talent across the world.

There is a definite change in focus at Celtic now that finding and developing young players is the only way they can compete at a decent level. This can be seen in the average age of the first team squad(23) and recent signings by the club where in almost all cases the players have been raw talent could be developed and of course sold for a profit eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

SantryRed wrote: »
    THey didn't really. IMO Craig Walsh got worse once he went on that show. He thought he was big time when he really wasn't.
    I take your point seeing as he was the best player on the show. As for Smith he was playing for Mullingar and Jamie Redknapp suggested him to Watford, so he definately benefitted as they wouldn't have gone for him straight from Mullingar. He was around a year younger than other contestants. Carl Magnay was a good player but as his wiki suggests he was awfully injury prone and he actually did something constructive in his career playing a few games on loan at MK Dons. I think the show raised his profile and helped him get the NI call up as having Chelsea on his CV was a great advertisement. Pity injury got him could be playing Championship now.

As an aside didn't Swindon do something similiar for FourFourTwo. Anyone know how the winner is getting on?

paddy978 wrote: »
    I take your point seeing as he was the best player on the show. As for Smith he was playing for Mullingar and Jamie Redknapp suggested him to Watford, so he definately benefitted as they wouldn't have gone for him straight from Mullingar. He was around a year younger than other contestants. Carl Magnay was a good player but as his wiki suggests he was awfully injury prone and he actually did something constructive in his career playing a few games on loan at MK Dons. I think the show raised his profile and helped him get the NI call up as having Chelsea on his CV was a great advertisement. Pity injury got him could be playing Championship now.

As an aside didn't Swindon do something similiar for FourFourTwo. Anyone know how the winner is getting on?
    No idea, the one thing I find with these things is that real talent doesn't really slip under the radar in this day and age, so the players you get in these kind of things are usually only fit for League One and under. Swindon could do well from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

As ridiculous as it sounds to write off kids at this age, the reality is that if a 16/17 year old isn't already at a club the chances are that they won't make it playing at a high level of football. I know there are exceptions (Drogba) but if you look at successful youth development (Barcelona, Clairefontaine, etc.), their kids are getting world class coaching at 12 years of age. Statistically speaking, the poor paddy who wins this contract doesn't have a chance as he is already miles behind other lads.

Ian Wright was a late starter as well, 20 odd before he went pro IIRC.

Its an odd rule on the site stating the kid must be an EU citizen. Im dead against this rubbish of foreign league players joining national teams like Eduardo for Croatia, Senna for Spain etc etc but if there is a foreign born kid out there who could be an asset to the national side, wants to play but hasnt got a passport, it seems a bit stupid to deny them a place on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anyone been following this show?

I have to say the facilities at Celtic look notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ian Wright was a late starter as well, 20 odd before he went pro IIRC.

From wiki

"A Crystal Palace talent scout, Peter Prentice, happened to see Wright playing for Dulwich Hamlet and invited him to have a trial at Selhurst Park having impressed then-manager Steve Coppell he signed professional terms for Crystal Palace in August 1985, just three months short of his 22nd birthday"

Very late starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone been following this show?

I have to say the facilities at Celtic look notch.

Nope but i know who won :D

Was recorded weeks ago, Pats player let it slip on twitter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The final was on yesterday

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The final was on yesterday

Dunno he tweeted a few weeks ago about the winner.

Odd tho how all those rules about being registered were knocked on the head. Gavin Boyne still plays for St Pats under 19s and is a smashing prospect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I would have picked Gavin but congrats to the winner getting a contract with a club in the elite top 16 in Europe and with one of the biggest fan bases in world football. Well done, Gareth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

How many left footed World Cup winners have Celtic's youth system produced in the last 3 years whose names begin with a vowel? Either give me a list or admit that the youth facilities are rubbish!!!

:rolleyes: this is basically what the desperate cherry picking arguments in the thread sound like. Pathetic.

McGeady, Maloney, Mulgrew, Forrest and Tony Watt in recent times. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

McGeady, Maloney, Mulgrew, Forrest and Tony Watt in recent times. Not bad at all.

Didnt Watt come from Airdie or am I thinking of someone else?

kksaints wrote: »

We got him a few years ago and developed him into a very good player.

Stephen MacManus too, good enough for the Championship which English fans will tell you is also a fantastic league.

Also that greedy little príck who went off to Chelsea last year Islam Feruz.

Fraser Forster obviously not from our academy but was fairly rubbish until he got a few years with our goalkeeping coach.

kksaints wrote: »

yup bought him and Maloney came from Aberdeen

dreamers75 wrote: »
    That's splitting hairs pretty badly. May as well say most of these players were 'produced' by their primary schools.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Eh? He was with Celtic as a youth. He was with Aberdeen for a short time and was released for being too small. You want them to get credit for his developement?! Oh dear.

Shaun Maloney was a product of Malaysia's famous youth set up FACT

Shaun Maloney was a product of Malaysia's famous youth set up FACT

He left Malaysia as a child, it's not a fact.

• Advertisement

He left Malaysia as a child, it's not a fact.
    JokeOverHead3.jpg

That's splitting hairs pretty badly. May as well say most of these players were 'produced' by their primary schools.

???
    Watt was signed by Celtic on 4 January, for a reported fee of £80,000
    At a young age, Maloney found a love for sport, particularly football and tennis. By the age of 10, he had joined his first football club, Kincorth Boys' Club. He played regularly for his Primary School Team, St Joseph's. At 12, he moved to Culter Boys' Club then at 14, to Albion Boys' Club. He played a number of games for Cults Academy, where he was a student. He was then snapped up by Aberdeen's youth academy where he was eventually released for being deemed "too small".

None of them would been produced by primary schools, it would have been an under 7 local team. Primary schools dont have teams until 5th and 6th class.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Fraser Forster obviously not from our academy but was fairly rubbish until he got a few years with our goalkeeping coach.

Bull****, Forster was class at Newcastle but unfortunately we have Krul as well who is top class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

gav86 wrote: »
    Bull****, Forster was class at Newcastle but unfortunately we have Krul as well who is top class!

Krul is a great keeper, he's not as good as Forster is currently though.

gav86 wrote: »
    Behave yourself, he was behind Steve f'n Harper for crying out loud. And he was crap at Celtic in his first season and not much better in most of his second. Every Mag I know was trying to take the piss when we got him on loan for the second time and then bought him.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Behave yourself, he was behind Steve f'n Harper for crying out loud. And he was crap at Celtic in his first season and not much better in most of his second. Every Mag I know was trying to take the piss when we got him on loan for the second time and then bought him.

Yeah cause he was like 21-22 at the time, Krul was better at the time, how the two develop is anyones guess.. too good to sit on the bench both of them.

Advertisement