Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Holy Communion!! Help?!

Options
  • 22-02-2012 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi Guys

Has anybody got a Holy Communion coming up this year?

Im hosting my God Daughters Holy Communion in my house because my sisters house is a bit small.
    Im going to be doing most of the organising i dont mind this, but i just dont no where to start?
    Food, drinks, cutlery, glasses, chairs and tables the main things i suppose? Oh and decorations i guess?

Anyone ever hosted/planned a First Holy communion that could give me some advice/info?

Thanks in advance

Suz :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

suzins89 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Has anybody got a Holy Communion coming up this year?

Im hosting my God Daughters Holy Communion in my house because my sisters house is a bit small.
    Im going to be doing most of the organising i dont mind this, but i just dont no where to start?
    Food, drinks, cutlery, glasses, chairs and tables the main things i suppose? Oh and decorations i guess?

Anyone ever hosted/planned a First Holy communion that could give me some advice/info?

Thanks in advance

Suz :)
    I would keep it as simple as possible.
    Finger food, or a load of salads.
    Chicken nuggets for kids.
    Dizzy drinks/ cordial for kids
    Maybe some wine?

Bouncing castle? Might be all booked out by now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to Gifts & Festivity & Party Ideas, because this is not really a parenting issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Organisation and simplicity are key..

Are you sorting food? I would do a buffet style spread with paper plates, disposable napkins and disposable cutlery, keep menu simple - one or two hot dishes (large pot of curry or lasagne with maybe a seafood pasta dish) then have plenty of sides such as various salads,cold meat / buy a cooked chicken, cous cous with roast veg, mixed beans etc. You can do it all very cheaply and make it look great (the less cooking on the day the better!)

Big tray of oven chips too and maybe pizza / chicken for the kids. I always aim to use the oven the most and avoid the hob. The more bowls you are taking out of the fridge, removing clingfilm and outting on the tbale the happier you'll be ;0)

Mini bags of funsize treats, crips etc and lollipops for kids (go to 2euro shop, plenty to choose from)

Few desserts - have a browse in your local supermarket, frozen gateaux etc.
    Might be a nice idea as she is your Goddaughter to have a small cake made with her name on it and candles? Remember you can always buy a nice iced cake cheaply in tesco for example and add your own wording 'Happy 1st Communion Aoife' or whatever. Cheaper way to do it..

Don't worry too much about decorations, be sure to check your 2euro store who often have a nice range of decorations you can use. Failing that, simple balloons and a few banners always look fine. If you would like to go for the accessorised Holy Communion look have a look at the range on www.littlestarparties.ie
    http://www.littlestarparties.ie/show_product.php?list=all&themeId=42
    Some nice bits if you think are needed. No affiliation, just very happy repeat customer.

Few bottles of wine for adults maybe? Remember too, as long as the kids are occupied then the parents are happy! Can you borrow a friends karaoke machine maybe, hang a few fairy lights up, make a little stage area? How about a few rounds of pass-the-parcel (again buy bits in 2euro shop) You could have a 'cinema hour' - put down loads of cushions, bean bags etc in the sitting room, rent new release dvds for the kids and give them individual boxes with popcorn, mini treats in? http://www.littlestarparties.ie/party-loot-boxes.php

Most of all, have fun. It doesn't have to cost the earth, keep your 'jobs' on the day to a minimum. With a bit of thought you can do great things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

most of the communions i had to go to had carvery style dinners (beef or salmon type dinners) for the adults and chips n chicken nuggests for the kids.

wine/beer for adults and soft drinks for the kids.

depending on how many your inviting it might be wise to hire a small markee tent and a few long tables and chairs.

then real plates/cutlery for adults & paper / plastic stuff for kids

your best bet is to buy a good roast beef or a few whole chickens and a big bag of spuds and a bag or carrots/parsnips and a few tins of peas for the dinner plus a bag of frozen chips and nuggets for the kids.

maybe also buy some cheese cakes for dessert and some cartons of avonmore soup for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 suzins89

Thanks for the help guys!

Cheers :)

Suz

• Advertisement
Advertisement