Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC, 500gb limit. Does anybody ever exceed this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I can see why SOME users would require the ability to download more than 500 gig a month (which is why UPC offer them a package that allows this)
    However, the simple rules of business would suggest that AT THE MOMENT there aren't enough people out there that require this to justify a completely different package for them.
    This will change in future.

No one is punishing anyone........
    UPC obviously know what their current infrastructure and resources can handle.

If you really do download/upload over a terrabyte of data every month you need to:
    a. be willing to pay for it.
    b. be willing to accept that right now you are in a very small minority of users.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    What a bit like...UPC don't believe enough people care how much they download per month on a package that started out being called UNLIMITED, to slipping in the FUP/AUP, and still not allowing people to have usage stats.? :)
    So now the issue is people not knowing how much they download or is it offering a package as "unlimited" when it is clearly not?
    I'm confused - what is this about again?

kippy wrote: »
    So now the issue is people not knowing how much they download or is it offering a package as "unlimited" when it is clearly not?
    I'm confused - what is this about again?

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.
    You're spouting about packages that don't exist and aren't for HOME users.
    You don't even see your speed being reduced by 70MB with price increase as punishment?
    And you are blatantly ignoring anyone who says "we are prepared to pay for it" to bolster your argument
    I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just to be clear, I don't mind the extreme package upc throw you on to. I've broken the terms and I must pay a penalty. what I do mind is:

A) its only a 2 strike thing. 1 letter, then next time you screw up you're out. and they don't even tell you on the second time, you just get debited €80. that's bull.

B) it is bloody difficult to monitor the bandwidth of 4 PCs, 4 Xboxs, 3 laptops, ps3, 4 Android phones etc all at once. did I say difficult? I meant impossible. when upc clearly does it for me, but won't tell me til its too late. even Vodafone will send you a text when you approach your limit.

C) why the hell do I lose OVER two thirds of my speed when going 'extreme'??!! there is nothing extreme about 30mbps in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    just to be clear, I don't mind the extreme package upc throw you on to. I've broken the terms and I must pay a penalty. what I do mind is:

A) its only a 2 strike thing. 1 letter, then next time you screw up you're out. and they don't even tell you on the second time, you just get debited €80. that's bull.

B) it is bloody difficult to monitor the bandwidth of 4 PCs, 4 Xboxs, 3 laptops, ps3, 4 Android phones etc all at once. did I say difficult? I meant impossible. when upc clearly does it for me, but won't tell me til its too late. even Vodafone will send you a text when you approach your limit.

C) why the hell do I lose OVER two thirds of my speed when going 'extreme'??!! there is nothing extreme about 30mbps in this day and age.
    Not impossible or even difficult, just set the UPC router to bridging mode, and get a router that supports DDWRT Firmware, and there is some great usage tools on that.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear Tea Bag, there is no such package.
    ring UPC and ask them about broadband extreme package.....all you will hear is "huh?".
    It's a hidden club for the naughty boys that Kippy talks about.

Tea_Bag wrote: »

What percentage of the worlds internet using population can expect 30mbps? (indeed what percentage of Irelands internet using population can expect 30mbs?)
    30 meg packages are at the very high end of what is available for most people so using the word "extreme" is warranted.

I do agree about the monitoring aspect, it would help a lot for accounts that get close to their cap.

What percentage of the worlds internet using population can expect 30mbps? (indeed what percentage of Irelands internet using population can expect 30mbs?)
    30 meg packages are at the very high end of what is available for most people so using the word "extreme" is warranted.

I do agree about the monitoring aspect, it would help a lot for accounts that get close to their cap.

So now your defence is "People in Corkistan don't have 30mb, be glad you have it"
    :pac:
    I have a feeling most of the counter-whiners in here, don't have or can't get 100mb or can't afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

miralize wrote: »
    Common sense. I consider myself a heavy downloader but I never go over 500GB. You'd have to be downloading HD video 24/7...

Seriously some people are never happy. How did you cope before UPC came along, on crappy Eircom?

Actually at the theoretical limit of 100mb (12.5mB) you could use your cap if you download constantly for just over 11 hours. Not 24/7.

Now let's compare this to pre UPC days with eircom which I would assume the most popular package they had was 2mb (250kB) it would take 542 hours and 32 minutes or just over 22 days of constantly downloading to reach 500gb downloaded.

As you can see 500gb is not nearly enough for a package that can decimate it in less then half a day of a 30 day cycle.

Ofcourse this applies to people such as myself who max out there line as much as possible. But you can see for yourself how silly 500gb download allowance is for a 100mb product.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.
    You're spouting about packages that don't exist and aren't for HOME users.
    You don't even see your speed being reduced by 70MB with price increase as punishment?
    And you are blatantly ignoring anyone who says "we are prepared to pay for it" to bolster your argument
    I give up.

WHAT IS YOUR MAIN ISSUE WITH UPC IN RELATION TO THIS THREAD?
    Please clarify.
    My main point is that there clearly isnt currently a sustainable market for 100mg broadband with an "actual" unlimited "cap", if there were UPC would offer it under their home packages.
    The VAST majority of internet users never get near their caps (especially of over 500 gigs a month, even those sharing houses.
    UPC are under no pressures to offer packages that they:
    a. dont see as financially viable (currently)
    b. may not be able to support on their network currently.

I mean there are lots of niche markets out there that just dont make sense to provide for.

• Advertisement

Limericks wrote: »
    Actually at the theoretical limit of 100mb (12.5mB) you could use your cap if you download constantly for just over 11 hours. Not 24/7.

Now let's compare this to pre UPC days with eircom which I would assume the most popular package they had was 2mb (250kB) it would take 542 hours and 32 minutes or just over 22 days of constantly downloading to reach 500gb downloaded.

As you can see 500gb is not nearly enough for a package that can decimate it in less then half a day of a 30 day cycle.

Ofcourse this applies to people such as myself who max out there line as much as possible. But you can see for yourself how silly 500gb download allowance is for a 100mb product.

Where exactly are you going to store this 500gigs (per day - every day) or is it all streaming?

The point is, very few people NEED to download that amount of data in a month.

WHAT IS YOUR MAIN ISSUE WITH UPC IN RELATION TO THIS THREAD?
    Please clarify.
    My main point is that there clearly isnt currently a sustainable market for 100mg broadband with an "actual" unlimited "cap", if there were UPC would offer it under their home packages.
    The VAST majority of internet users never get near their caps (especially of over 500 gigs a month, even those sharing houses.
    UPC are under no pressures to offer packages that they:
    a. dont see as financially viable (currently)
    b. may not be able to support on their network currently.

I mean there are lots of niche markets out there that just dont make sense to provide for.

Are you the voice of UPC & the FUP??
    You pretend to know the market and what the end user wants, but really your are just posting how glad you would be to have the package that some people in here are whinging about.

Where exactly are you going to store this 500gigs (per day - every day) or is it all streaming?

Actually per day it would be closer too 1100gb :)

My own internet habits are my own but I could easily use 500gb a day. Storage for my use would not be a problem and if it ever did become a problem there is a delete key on my keyboard :)

Also, UPC could easily allow a higher download limit on their infrastructure but they choose not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

DarkJager wrote: »
    I don't understand how people go over 500GB a month to be honest. Fact is if you do, that's your problem and not upcs. Good luck finding another ISP with a cap near that.

UTV Internet? They have an "unlimited" option, and their fair use policy is "if you download too much during peak hours, we'll throttle you", which is much more reasonable. You are free to download as much as you like outside the 6pm-11pm time frame.

On the other hand, top speed is only 8MB...

Are you the voice of UPC & the FUP??
    You pretend to know the market and what the end user wants, but really your are just posting how glad you would be to have the package that some people in here are whinging about.
    UPC know the Market, it's their job. If the market were there for a package of that nature, it'd be available.

UPC know the Market, it's their job. If the market were there for a package of that nature, it'd be available.

if someone else came out tomorrow with 100mb UNLIMITED, then that is exactly what UPC would release.
    Right now it's ok for them to penalize you, because where else are you gonna go?

They try to use the bandwidth as an excuse, when downloading 24/7 is WAY worse than a sporadic user of 100mb downloading 30 gb a day rather than 15gb(thats downloaded in about 15mins BTW)

its only 500gb per month. the point is you can do it in one day, once per month.

and I've shown how I do actually use 500gb, without going on a torrent spree.

there are fewer people arguing against a higher cap than for it. maybe add that to your defence of '500 is enough for most people'

and don't use Ireland as a benchmark for the world, many many country's have far faster. were one of the slowest in the first world. certainly 30mbps is achievable everywhere in Europe, and not under a conveluted extreme package.

So now your defence is "People in Corkistan don't have 30mb, be glad you have it"
    :pac:
    I have a feeling most of the counter-whiners in here, don't have or can't get 100mb or can't afford it.
    I was trying to put some logic on the word extreme.

I was trying to put some logic on the word extreme.

The only thing extreme about it though is the drop in speed 100 > 30 ;)
    As i said what happens then is those who want a higher allowance download 24/7 to get to 1TB a month (you are paying so may aswell use)!!
    Wheras you could get the same amount with 100mb by downloading for 20 mins a day.
    Makes sense.

• Advertisement

Fair enough lads. There's obviously a market for gigabit unlimited broadband.

Fair enough lads. There's obviously a market for gigabit unlimited broadband.

Keep up, the world has moved on since 56k, i know you love it so much.

The level of delusion and lack of understanding of basic technology and business in here by some posters is funny.

The level of delusion and lack of understanding of basic technology and business in here by some posters is funny.

The fake UPC REP on here calling others deluded???:pac:

in the business sense, I understand that offering unlimited caps is unfavorable. I don't see how dropping 70mbps is in any way a reasonable argument. and I do understand the technology to a good enough degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Jesus Christ. I leave for a few hours and this thread goes to shíte.

RVP11, can I just ask how you manage to consume 500GB of data per month? Consoles actually dont consume that much data. Netflix, even at HD streaming only takes up around 1-1.5GB per movie. And a 1080p film download averages at around 10GB.

So even if, every day you were to download one 1080p film per month(which I doubt you do), you'd still be about 200GB shy of the cap.

And even if there are multiple Broadband users in the household, downloading like that slows it down for the rest of them. And if there are other houses on the line, you're slowing it down for people in that area.

The fact is that 99% of users dont go over the liimit, otherwise UPC would extend the limit. And they will, eventually as everything moves to cloud storage. But for the time being, you cant download over 500GB per month, and I'm fine with that. First-world problem. at its worst..

Also why do you feel the need to resort to quotes like :
    Keep up, the world has moved on since 56k, i know you love it so much.

Because that makes absolutely no sense. It's kind of pathetic to be honest.

And even if there are multiple Broadband users in the household, downloading like that slows it down for the rest of them.

if it slowed it down for others in the household there are ways around that by capping your download speed too 11.5mB instead of 12.5mB leaving a plentiful 1mB for browsing/gaming/whatever and only slightly degrading your download experience.
    And if there are other houses on the line, you're slowing it down for people in that area.
    Not at all true as Eurodocsis has the capability of 400mbs download throughput and 108mbit upload throughput with 8 channels down and 4 up per line.

The fact is that 99% of users dont go over the liimit, otherwise UPC would extend the limit. And they will, eventually as everything moves to cloud storage. But for the time being, you cant download over 500GB per month, and I'm fine with that. First-world problem. at its worst..
    You are right it is a first world problem... Because we are in the first world and it is a problem. As it stands 500gb is not enough of a download allowance to satisfy the product they are selling (100mb) it is not a question of what percent of people actually use it. The facts stand at if you can use your whole allowance in just over 11 hours then it is not enough.

if it slowed it down for others in the household there are ways around that by capping your download speed too 11.5mB instead of 12.5mB leaving a plentiful 1mB for download and only slightly degrading your download experience.

Not at all true as Eurodocsis has the capability of 400mbs download throughput and 108mbit upload throughput with 8 channels down and 4 up per line.

You are right it is a first world problem... Because we are in the first world and it is a problem. As it stands 500gb is not enough of a download allowance to satisfy the product they are selling (100mb) it is not a question of what percent of people actually use it. The facts stand at if you can use your whole allowance in just over 11 hours then it is not enough.

You can do a lot of things in theory, but very very very very few do it in 11 hours, a few more, might do it in month but in the whole scheme of things it's very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just because its 100MB doesn't mean its an invitation to download huge amounts non stop. Common sense is seriously lacking when it comes to this.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    Just because its 100MB doesn't mean its an invitation to download huge amounts non stop. Common sense is seriously lacking when it comes to this.

What is it an invitation too if not that? Once you hit about 4mb you are not going to see an improvement in your browsing experience. At 8mb you can stream HD just fine. Why have speeds past this if not to download?

Common sense would of been releasing a product with a cap that matches it. I am not asking for a limitless download cap. What I am asking for is a more realistic download cap. If it were say 2tb per month I am sure everyone would be happy. The crowd that didn't use nearly 500gb per month would not suddenly jump in there download habits and the crowds who are being hampered by the limit would be much better off. This change by the way would not effect UPC in the slightest.

Advertisement