Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC, 500gb limit. Does anybody ever exceed this?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Limericks wrote: »
    What is it an invitation too if not that? Once you hit about 4mb you are not going to see an improvement in your browsing experience. At 8mb you can stream HD just fine. Why have speeds past this if not to download?

Common sense would of been releasing a product with a cap that matches it. I am not asking for a limitless download cap. What I am asking for is a more realistic download cap. If it were say 2tb per month I am sure everyone would be happy. The crowd that didn't use nearly 500gb per month would not suddenly jump in there download habits and the crows who are being hampered by the limit would be much better off. This change by the way would not effect UPC in the slightest.

Thats exactly what the speed is for, to decrease the time it takes to download files from the internet. That doesn't mean you have to go and download every single thing you can find on the internet, it just means that when you do it will take a lot less time. Personally, I'd watch quite a bit of Netflix in a month and maybe download some other large files (work related) but I don't think I'd ever get anywhere near 500GB. No normal internet use would ever get near 500GB in a month.

And you have to consider that for everyone who would have a 2TB cap and acting the bollox downloading non stop, there's someone else in the same area suffering crap performance as a result. I'm sure UPC are well aware of the limitations of their network at present and if they thought the network could handle multiple people in an area lashing through the bandwidth, they would have an "unlimited" package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Always find these threads amusing,

First off Lads, bandwidth costs money and so if you are on some residential package with a cap and you find it is unsuitable for your needs then be prepared to fork out and get a more suitable package (business plan comes to mind).

Second off just because you and perhaps some people you know download 400, 500 or 600GB a month most certainly does not make this anywhere near the norm for the vast majority of normal internet users in Ireland.

Take the UK as an example, far more mature internet market with higher percentage of internet users then Ireland and far far better coverage along with more streaming content for longer. However the average internet user from the stats I saw was doing maybe 40-50GB and thats at a big push.

Yes sure we'd see a odd user pulling down 1tb but but was very very far from the norm.

The market will of course change as more and more users start using the content that is available online but bottom line is at present the average user doesn't create enough demand to make upc have a package that does more then 500GB per month.

Oh and one more thing, there's no such think as unlimited...every provider has some sort of limit somewhere just to cover their arse and rightly so for the protection of other users experiences and their network.

miralize wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. I leave for a few hours and this thread goes to shíte.

RVP11, can I just ask how you manage to consume 500GB of data per month? Consoles actually dont consume that much data. Netflix, even at HD streaming only takes up around 1-1.5GB per movie. And a 1080p film download averages at around 10GB.

So even if, every day you were to download one 1080p film per month(which I doubt you do), you'd still be about 200GB shy of the cap.

And even if there are multiple Broadband users in the household, downloading like that slows it down for the rest of them. And if there are other houses on the line, you're slowing it down for people in that area.

The fact is that 99% of users dont go over the liimit, otherwise UPC would extend the limit. And they will, eventually as everything moves to cloud storage. But for the time being, you cant download over 500GB per month, and I'm fine with that. First-world problem. at its worst..

Also why do you feel the need to resort to quotes like :
    Keep up, the world has moved on since 56k, i know you love it so much.

Because that makes absolutely no sense. It's kind of pathetic to be honest.
    The 56k dig was kippy and his gigabit Internet comment obviously aimed at heavy users of the Internet. Are you his dad or something?
    I don't exceed my cap normally but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on UPC and their penalties, thanks for the concern though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

RVP 11 wrote: »
    The 56k dig was kippy and his gigabit Internet comment obviously aimed at heavy users of the Internet. Are you his dad or something?
    I don't exceed my cap normally but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on UPC and their penalties, thanks for the concern though lol

Your posts reek of immaturity.

You can have concern but you have to understand that you are the 1%. In order to preserve a decent service for everyone in the area, we all have to abide by certain rules.

miralize wrote: »
    Your posts reek of immaturity.

You can have concern but you have to understand that you are the 1%. In order to preserve a decent service for everyone in the area, we all have to abide by certain rules.

The cap should be lower on 10 20 30mb packages or higher on 100mb, otherwise it's not a realistic usage policy, regardless of percentage of users, we already pay more for the fastest package.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    B) it is bloody difficult to monitor the bandwidth of 4 PCs, 4 Xboxs, 3 laptops, ps3, 4 Android phones etc all at once. did I say difficult? I meant impossible. when upc clearly does it for me, but won't tell me til its too late. even Vodafone will send you a text when you approach your limit.
    UPC should give some way of monitoring usage since the others do it. However it's not impossible, you just need a better router. :) Here's me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 uberdruid

Cabaal wrote: »
    Always find these threads amusing,

First off Lads, bandwidth costs money and so if you are on some residential package with a cap and you find it is unsuitable for your needs then be prepared to fork out and get a more suitable package (business plan comes to mind).

Second off just because you and perhaps some people you know download 400, 500 or 600GB a month most certainly does not make this anywhere near the norm for the vast majority of normal internet users in Ireland.

Take the UK as an example, far more mature internet market with higher percentage of internet users then Ireland and far far better coverage along with more streaming content for longer. However the average internet user from the stats I saw was doing maybe 40-50GB and thats at a big push.

Yes sure we'd see a odd user pulling down 1tb but but was very very far from the norm.

The market will of course change as more and more users start using the content that is available online but bottom line is at present the average user doesn't create enough demand to make upc have a package that does more then 500GB per month.

Oh and one more thing, there's no such think as unlimited...every provider has some sort of limit somewhere just to cover their arse and rightly so for the protection of other users experiences and their network.

Funny read, seems you are pretty uninformed. In other European countries it is common to have home broadband connections from 120Mb to 200Mb for 30-50EUR w/o any cap whatsoever, i.e., Finnland, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany. In Netherland even UPC offers 120Mb w/o cap for 45EUR!
    So i ask you, THE "EXPERT", why is traffic specifically so expensive in Ireland?
    And don't tell me about high tier-1 routing costs, since BGP-routing fees also occur for outbound traffic, i.e, when a user from outside Ireland accesses servers in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

uberdruid wrote: »
    Funny read, seems you are pretty uninformed. In other European countries it is common to have home broadband connections from 120Mb to 200Mb for 30-50EUR w/o any cap whatsoever, i.e., Finnland, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany. In Netherland even UPC offers 120Mb w/o cap for 45EUR!
    So i ask you, THE "EXPERT", why is traffic specifically so expensive in Ireland?
    And don't tell me about high tier-1 routing costs, since BGP-routing fees also occur for outbound traffic, i.e, when a user from outside Ireland accesses servers in Ireland.

Look at the countries you quoted and that will answer your own question. UPC and the likes are pumping serious cash in to upgrading the cable networks throughout Ireland but is nowhere near the infrastructure found in other European countries yet. And secondly, its Ireland - do you expect things to be cheap here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

uberdruid wrote: »

How common?
    What percentage of internet users in those European countries have broadband connections from 120-200 without caps?

Advertisement