Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is the standard milk now Low Fat

• 22-02-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

It seem that everywhere you order a tea/coffee, be it in a vending machine, restaurant or petrol station, the milk they give is Low Fat Milk.

I want full fat milk in my coffee!!! What do you want??

What do you like in your Tea/Coffee 138 votes

MILK
    5% 8 votes
    low fat MILK
    57% 79 votes
    None of the above/ I dont care
    36% 51 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Low fat will do me just fine, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

WE DEMAND MORE FAT AND HOT CHINESE FOOD!!

Have those mothers who were passing the burgers through the school railings to their kids signed up to Boards recently?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hate low fat milk. Watered down shi'te

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Low fat for me every time... I switched from full fat years ago and had to have full fat on my Weetabix one day as there was no low left.. Jesus it was like eating cream..

Not a fan of skimmed though :o too watery for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Low fat milk is easier to foam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

All cows are on diets these days.

Cow + Diet = Low Fat Milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Because the dairies are creaming it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Petition your local politician about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Full fat milk for me. It's healthier too, a lot of the vitamins are missing from low fat milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I like all my dairy products full fat. I hate these god dam health freaks trying to push their agenda on us. We don't all want to live till were 90 you know.:mad::mad::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Full fat.

Fat is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There are 640 calories in a litre of full fat milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Yak Milk thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

At least it's not the UHT stuff. But there's no demand for that, cos it's shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I like my tea like I like my women - hot, black and as wet as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ive been drinking nothing but low fat milk for years now. Full fat milk is nicer but it makes me feel bad for being heavier on calories etc.
    Low fat milk isnt the watered down one, thats slimline milk. It actually just tastes like 50% milk 50% water, yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I like skimmed milk. It's an unpopular opinion though. I'd get less flack for being racist.

Dairy products are disgusting.
    Anyway milk over here isn't real milk anyway, with the ****e they feed us there's not enough cows in the world to produce that stuff. In Hungary they have to call the same stuff Breakfast Drink, they're not allowed imply that it's actually real milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Dairy products are disgusting.
    Anyway milk over here isn't real milk anyway, with the ****e they feed us there's not enough cows in the world to produce that stuff. In Hungary they have to call the same stuff Breakfast Drink, they're not allowed imply that it's actually real milk.

Our milk is some of the best milk in the world (....probably :pac:). I have had people from America, Italy and other parts of the world tell me how bloody amazing ours is compared to their horrible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Breast milk FTW! Yay!!! \0/ :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I used to buy Alpine milk in Germany, its 3.7% fat and you can nearly cut it :D

Bloody tasty stuff :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

full fat milk tastes sour to me uggghhh....... skimmed milk for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Low fat milk is a complete marketing angle for over weight people who think going for a 20min walk once a month and drinking low fat milk in their tea while they eat cake will help them with losing weight .
    Super Milk ftw but they seem to have made that low fat in recent years now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Did anyone ever try that Omega 3 milk? I had it a couple of times and was convinced it tasted slightly of fish. Yet everyone else who tasted it said it was fine.

Was I imagining it because I was aware there were Omega 3 oils in it, or was I being crazy?

Or was I even right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

This low fat everything is really annoying. milk is only 3.5% fat in the first place, which is perfectly fine in a normal diet. stop trying to take the fat out of everything!! just balance your feckin diet and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Normal milk is fking 3.5% fat! low fat milk is codology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

In order to turn Full Fat(3.5%) into low fat you need to remove all that is good about it,you are then left with low fat which has little or no Vitamins etc.
    you then have so called super milk where they put the vitamins back in.

United States
    80% Butter
    40% Manufacturers cream
    36% Heavy whipping cream
    30 – 36% Whipping cream or Light whipping cream
    25% Medium cream
    18 – 30% Light, coffee, or table cream
    10.5 – 18% Half and half
    3.25% Whole milk
    about 2% 2% or Reduced fat [9]
    1.8% Semi-skim
    about 1% 1% or Low fat [9]
    0.0 – 0.5% Skim milk [9]

Butterfat content UK Terminology
    5.5% Channel Island milk or breakfast milk [13]
    3.5% Whole milk or full fat milk [13]
    1.5 – 1.8% Semi-skimmed [14]
    1% The One or 1%
    Less than 0.3% Skimmed

Good Marketing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

people who think going for a 20min walk once a month and drinking low fat milk in there tea while they eat cake will help them with losing weight

Exactly and you see them coming out of the chipper with a bag of burgers and a can of diet coke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

There are Semi-Skimmed cows in New Zealand,really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Full fat milk for me. It's healthier too, a lot of fatamins are missing from low fat milk.

Fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Kinda irrelevant, I'm the only person I know who would regularly drink a litre of milk in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Full fat all the way. Ya might as well be pulling the udder one with the low fat version :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I usually hate low-fat versions of products but milk is one I really don't mind, as there is nothing added to replace the fat that has been removed, plus some fat is left in there. Also, low-fat milk is higher in calcium as the calcium in the non-fat part, so per litre there will be more than in whole milk.

Whole milk is lovely but to be honest I like low-fat milk too. I grew up with it and am used to it.

Now, skimmed? Skimmed milk is absolute muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I drink Malk.

There's 480 in a litre of low-fat. Not a huge difference really, esp if that litre is split between a few people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Milk is so good.
    It has as much potassium in a glass as 41 bananas and helps your muscles recover twice as fast from exercise as a sports drink.

In order to turn Full Fat(3.5%) into low fat you need to remove all that is good about it,you are then left with low fat which has little or no Vitamins etc.

Low-fat has more calcium, as calcium is in the contained in the non-fat part.

Then again, maybe other vitamins and minerals are in the fat part.

I dunno, I like both whole milk and low-fat, and both have their benefits.
    dmc17 wrote: »
    Exactly and you see them coming out of the chipper with a bag of burgers and a can of diet coke

I think some people just genuinely prefer diet coke to regular, so it might not be in the interests of health necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Don't really like the taste of low fat milk or skimmed milk, but the Avonmore low fat Supermilk is lovely, tastes like full fat milk.

amacachi wrote: »
    Kinda irrelevant, I'm the only person I know who would regularly drink a litre of milk in one go.

How many peoples diet are you aware of though?

I'd drink 2 litres a day no problem and I often see people with pints of milk for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'd drink 2 litres a day no problem and I often see people with pints of milk for lunch.

It's a very culchie thing, too see guys out for night in the chippers asking for a carton of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

TheZohan wrote: »
    Don't really like the taste of low fat milk or skimmed milk, but the Avonmore low fat Supermilk is lovely, tastes like full fat milk.
    They only made it low fat about 2 years ago. I want the fat:mad:

TheZohan wrote: »
    I find supermilk very sweet and watery tbh.

A pint (in Ireland? thought it was only half-litres available now) isn't a litre. Good to meet a fellow milk fan though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I don't get what some posters are saying about more calcium in low fat. In full fat, do they remove some of the calcium to make room for the fat?

I would of thought the calcium content was the same in a litre regardless of the fat content ???

Sindri wrote: »
    It's a very culchie thing, too see guys out for night in the chippers asking for a carton of milk.

A litre or half-litre?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I only really like skimmed milk, but that's only because I find the full fat milk too creamy, nothing to do with the fat content. Sure most people only use a drop for tea/coffee or at most for cereal so you'd hardly be having so much as it'd make a difference fat/calorie wise. I'd use full fat milk for my tea no problem though if that's all was there.

I don't get what some posters are saying about more calcium in low fat. In full fat, do they remove some of the calcium to make room for the fat?

I would of thought the calcium content was the same in a litre regardless of the fat content ???

Milk starts off as full fat and they remove fat. By removing the fat you're left with less volume than was started with so to put it back up more has to be added.

Suppose (made up numbers here) a litre of milk at 3.5% fat has 10mg of calcium. By removing the fat there's now only (roughly) 965ml so another 35ml has to be added so instead of 10mg of calcium per litre there would be about 10.3mg per litre.
    Supermilk and the like has vitamins and minerals added to it I think.

A pint (in Ireland? thought it was only half-litres available now) isn't a litre. Good to meet a fellow milk fan though. :)

A person could easily have two half litres in the course of a day. My point still stands, there are 640 calories in a litre, if you drink more or less, do the math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A person could easily have two half litres in the course of a day. My point still stands, there are 640 calories in a litre, if you drink more or less, do the math.

Then don't drink your calories? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Milk starts off as full fat and they remove fat. By removing the fat you're left with less volume than was started with so to put it back up more has to be added.

Suppose (made up numbers here) a litre of milk at 3.5% fat has 10mg of calcium. By removing the fat there's now only (roughly) 965ml so another 35ml has to be added so instead of 10mg of calcium per litre there would be about 10.3mg per litre.
    Supermilk and the like has vitamins and minerals added to it I think.

A lot of the calcium in milk isn't absorbable, green veg like kale is much better at providing your body with calcium. I read somewhere that milk could actually remove calcium from your bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Considering you're drinking that much liquid it's not that bad. The calories in a litre of sprite is 440. And milk undoubtedly has better nutrition. Besides calories aren't evil things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement