Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary Barrack Handovers 1921

Options
  • 22-02-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I could find photos, footage, or anything really, of the handover of Templemore barracks to a Commandant of the old Irish National Army by a Major Phibbs of the British army in 1921?

Edit: I would also like the same for Summerhill Barracks in Co. Tipperary, and for Kickham barracks in Co. Tipperary also.

I'm looking to do a bit of research as it was a dead relative of mine whom one of the barracks in Tipperary was handed over to in 1921, but I don't know which.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

theres a museum in the barracks in cork that has lots of pics and documents on the handover of the barrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

There's also a museum in Kickham Barracks, well there was!! it's probably no more at this stage.

Below is an extract re: the handover from a short history of Kickham Barracks, Clonmel.

Various Regiments occupied Victoria Barracks as it was known then up until the British hand-over. In 1922 on 09 Feb the Barracks were taken over from the British by the Irish forces . Three Companies of the Yorks and Lancs Regiment comprised the Barrack Garrison at the time, the Devonshires having been subsequently transferred to Waterford. The actual evacuation was simple and informal. At 1330 hrs the Yorks and Lancs, with full kit, and fife & drum band formed up and marched for the last time out of the Barrack gates, under the command of Lieut Colonel Wedgewood DSO, where they proceeded to Clonmel railway station to board a train for Waterford. This was followed by a convoy of Crossely tenders and lorries headed by a twin turreted armoured car flying the Union Jack and headed towards Tipperary Town. At 1430 hrs under Comdt P. Dalton, a Company of the 5 Battalion otherwise known as the Clonmel Battalion numbering about fifty men marched into the recently evacuated Barracks. The National Flag was hoisted and detachments deployed to secure the Barracks

I don't have any other info on the other barracks you could contact 31 Reserve Artillery Regiment based in McCan Barracks, Templemore, they might have some info on the handover during that time.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

dunno if it's any help but there's a man from dundrum/knockavilla called jj kennedy.who's a bit of a historian and used to teach in abbey cbs.also a guy called marnane or murnane.both have written books from around that time. I've seen both books in tipp town library.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 153 ✭✭rollcall

Hi there, I have done a lot of research on the history of Richmond Barracks, I hope this info. is of use, let me know if you want to talk some more about it, I would appreciate any info that you could give me too!

In February 1922 the first battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment was ordered to hand over Richmond barracks to the Provisional Government of Ireland. A formal ceremony took place on the barracks square on 14 February 1922. During this ceremony the I.R.A under Séan Scott, Commandant of the second battalion, second Tipperary Brigade, formally took control of Richmond Barracks, ending 107 years of occupation by the British army. The official history of the Northamptonshire Regiment caustically noted that the Provisional Government was represented by a ‘motley force calling itself the Irish army’. Later that day the regiment left Richmond Barracks for the last time and and marched to Templemore railway station where they entrained for the Curragh Camp in county Kildare. When ‘The Steelbacks’ left Richmond they noted that ‘the enthusiasm of the civil population, after their previous attitude towards British troops, was extraordinary’. Shortly afterwards a ‘great sale of military spares and equipment’ took place at which the entire contents of Richmond Barracks were sold by public auction.. The photo shows IRA Volunteers Michael Egan, T.F Meagher and Matt Collins in Richmond Barracks during the handover by the Northamptonshire Regiment 14 February 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mick1234

Rollcall,
    What is known about the Troops who were stationed in Richmond Bks after the handover who sided with the Anti Treaty side ?.
    Mick

• Advertisement
Advertisement