Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Domain Stats - February 2012

• 22-02-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭

The Irish Domain Market Statistics as of 01 February 2012:
    .IE ccTLD: 174,596 (full ccTLD)
    .COM: 150,394
    .NET: 15,082
    .ORG: 9,031
    .BIZ: 2,761
    .INFO: 3,262
    .MOBI: 1,111
    .ASIA: 85
    .US: 343
    .EU (detected): 8,841
    .UK (detected): 16,478
    .CO (detected): 720
    .ES (detected): 406
    .DE (detected): 177
    .FR (detected): 95

The .ie figure is for the number of .ie domains on 01/February/2012 and the others are for Irish hosted domains.

Still trying to understand this Irish Times letter to editor:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2012/0222/1224312168315.html

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

It's interesting there's more .ie's than .com's, I'd have thought it was the other way around, do you know if it's been that way for a long time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

cormee wrote: »
    It's interesting there's more .ie's than .com's, I'd have thought it was the other way around, do you know if it's been that way for a long time?
    It's only for Irish websites though so it makes sense. And with .ie opening up to the public for personal domains it was a boost too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

smash wrote: »
    It's only for Irish websites though so it makes sense. And with .ie opening up to the public for personal domains it was a boost too.
    Even more restrictive, irish-hosted websites. I'm sure there's a not-insignificant number of Irish-targeted .coms hosted in the UK. Not to mention the classic .co.uk/ie approach

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I know, I'd still have thought the .com's would be more popular though. They're so much more accessible than .ie's, cheaper than them, and considering such a small percentage of the population fully understand the benefits of a .ie over a .com on an Irish market, I'd have thought a .com was the more obvious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭jmcc

It has been that way for a while but not all .ie domains are Irish owned. I'll dig up some historical stats tonight.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

The real boost was that Getting Business Online scheme. It increased the registrations and made the .ie more accessible to small businesses by providing them with a near-foolproof method of putting content on their website. IEDR mentioned that personal domains weren't a big factor. This isn't surprising as personal domains are not really major players in many TLDs (probably apart from .me).

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's a shame .ie TLD's are so expensive still through some providers. Digiweb are a complete rip off.

28064212 wrote: »
    Even more restrictive, irish-hosted websites. I'm sure there's a not-insignificant number of Irish-targeted .coms hosted in the UK. Not to mention the classic .co.uk/ie approach
    There is a segment of the Irish market on UK hosters (and US/Canadian/German and French hosters). However the Irish market has changed drastically over the last ten years or so. This is because domains and webhosting have become commoditised and it is easier to switch hosters and web hosting. Previously, the web developer effectively locked in the customer especially if there was any custom e-commerce or PHP involved. The rise of CMSes like Wordpress and Joomla (and widely e-commerce shopping cart software) makes it easier to switch. What the small web developers were doing (many of them were hosting outside of Ireland) was overtaken by retail web hosters. These businesses where primarily focused on just selling hosting and domain registrations. This is exactly what the businesses that the Irish web developers hosting in the UK were doing. As prices fell, many of these web developers shifted their customers back to Irish webspace.

Regards...jmcc

It's a shame .ie TLD's are so expensive still through some providers. Digiweb are a complete rip off.
    Rules of the forum state that we are not to discuss individual hosters.

Regards...jmcc

I'm in two minds on that one - on the one hand they are more expensive than .com's, on the other hand their relatively high price means there is a bigger and better pool of them available, and ones that aren't being used are more likely to be dropped.

• Advertisement

I'm in two minds on that one - on the one hand they are more expensive than .com's, on the other hand their relatively high price means there is a bigger and better pool of them available, and ones that aren't being used are more likely to be dropped.
    They are more expensive but they do target the Irish market well. People almost expect that a business targeting the Irish market has a .ie domain/website. However people will almost always register more domains than they can develop. Sometimes this is done for brand protection purposes but often people have a great idea for a website but then find that developing it is a lot more difficult than they first thought. Thus many domains in any TLD will not be developed. Some gTLDs only have an active/unique percentage (actively developed unique websites as opposed to PPC parked/coming soon) of about 11 to 20%. The ccTLDs can be better with figures between 20% and 50%. With more expensive registrations, there registrant sometimes feels a need to develop. You don't get quite that level of urgency with a low cost .com registration.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement